Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not making any noise at the fan but I don't want to wait until it jams up to fix it. I pulled the cabin air filter but only debris fell out. I was thinking I could put some sticky tape on a coat hanger and snake it down the vents. Does anyone have a diagram of the vent routing? That would really help me figure out where it likely ended up.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
The defrost vent tubing is screwed to the underside of your dashboard. From there it runs to the center of the dash, above the blend doors. This runs straight down to the heater core. That's as far as any item should be able to make it. From there, to the right we move to the AC evaporator, and then the blower motor. The blower motor pulls from the wiper cowl area above.

Basically you're talking a loop. If it's a clip-on air freshener or something, the worst you're looking at is a jammed blend door where you'll be pulling the dash out to fix anyways. If it's not valuable and not noisey, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, t3hwit, that's the info I'm looking for. Yea I don't plan on pulling the dash or anything crazy unless it becomes an issue. So if I pull the center vent/dash pocket I might be able to grab it with some tape? Or is that not even worth trying? It's not valuable but it does have some sentimental value and I'd like to retrieve it if I can do it with a reasonable amount of effort.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
I thought something fell in the side window defrost vents since that's where some of my customers put air fresheners. I read too much into that.

If it fell in the center vent, it is probably down out of reach past the blend doors. The ducting is wide but not very high and is a short run to the center HVAC section where the blend doors and heater core are located. Even if the item is still there you'll have a tough time getting tape to bend back and stick to it considering how dusty the ducting gets.

I'm not saying retrieval isn't worth trying, but I don't think you'll be able to get it without pulling the dashboard out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
634 Posts
You can take the entire dash apart and get to it, its sort of time consuming and a pain in the ass. Behind the bents are black plastic tubes that lead to the blender door behind the radio area. Thar's the most likely place something would end up if it slid all the way down. When removing the dash dont forget the last 12mm bolt upside down for the air bag dash mount!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you really want to know...get a borescope to locate it. once you locate it, then there a chance of fishing it out without ripping the dash apart. I'm tempted to get a USB borescope just because...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts