Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2002 pontiac grand prix gt coupe (it's a nice car, I like it). I go camping a lot as well as mountain biking, and the car doesnt seem to fit my lifestyle very well. I can get about 8-8.5k for the car, and could use all of that money towards a new one. I was playing with the idea of getting an OBS (before the bugeye). I think they are hideous, however, but I have seen some good looking ones with single color paint jobs, nice wheels, and a better interior - and maybe even turbo it?. What should I do? Or moreso, what would YOU do?

Thanks,

Denny

· Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza L Coupe
404 Posts
Camping and mountain biking? Rock a moped.

Seriously though, buy a babied Impreza L wagon. Then pump the rest of the money (should be about 4k) into suspension, skid plates, tires, roof rack for starters. Then perhaps a swap.

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
L wagon with mods would be great. You can do a lot with 4K leftover.

I'd honestly like to have a good driving NA engine with suspension, skid plates, wheels/tires, exhaust, swaybars, strutbars,pulleys, seats maybe... rather than a swap and no supporting mods like suspension ans stuff.

That 8K will get you a lot... just maybe not a swap right off the bat.

· Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
3,763 Posts
AWD vs base with FWD, 4wdisk brakes, larger engine most of the time 2.2vs1.8 better looking interior colors, and thats about it.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I guess I dont need the 4 wheel disc brakes, its not like I will be racing or anything. (but i like going fast) I was looking around in my area for any outback sport wagons, they seem to be very rare. What kind of car can be had for 4k? (I would want to keep this car for a VERY long time since you can swap the engine, lets see in 6-8 years)
BTW, I'd be serious about getting a paint job, was thinking metallic silver with copper/goldish 17" wheels. What is reasonable $ for a paint job?

Thanks

· Registered
49 Posts
I would start by looking at all Impreza wagons in your area. 1995-96 is sort of a transition where they had all sorts of wierd brake, engine, and transmission combinations (2.2L was auto only during some of it). Too confusing to keep track of if you don't have the car in front of you.

You might consider a late model L wagon, after 96 they were all AWD with 2.2L. The only thing you give up to the Outback Sport that you can't really add is the ABS and cruise control (00-01 L's don't have the wiring). All the other stuff like the taller suspension, roof rack, rear discs, etc, can be added. And if you find one with good paint (lol, a subaru with good paint?), you wouldn't have to get rid of the two-tone.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
(lol, a subaru with good paint?), you wouldn't have to get rid of the two-tone.
I think it would look better in one tone (depends on the cost of paint job), but I should stick to 97-01 outback sport wagons (I won't go with the L, I'm not in a hurry and would prefer ABS and cruise)? At what mileage do big problems start to appear? Are timing belt replacement times something to look for?

Thanks

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I happened to be in the area for a mountain bike race, and was able to check out the car. I am not getting it because there are numerous dents, a lot of rust along the front top of the roof (is this common?), and has some paint chipping in areas, as well as a hole in the muffler. Also, I saw that the door frame doesnt go around the windows, when raining, does water get in? What about in jet car washes? Also, is there noticeable heat loss or is it a pretty tight seal? Thanks and sorry for so many questions. Time to continue looking!

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, I had my brother check out a good looking 1999 outback sport with 52,000 miles, well, it looked good in the pictures. He said it looked like someone took a crowbar and beat the $hit out of it. D4mn it, when am I going to find a GOOD OBS!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.