Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 90% sure I'd be in STS....but can I be with a carbon fiber hood or will that bump me into STX? I live in Ohio if that makes a difference.

I have..
STi rear sway
rear strut tower bar
full exhaust (incl headers)
short ram intake
stainless steel brake lines
hawk hps pads
carbon fiber hood

Everything else is stock (wheels, tires, etc.) full interior etc..

I know my car isn't set up for auto-x but I want to auto-x it before I get my suspension. Usually I'd take the Miata and I'm sure I will suck miserably at auto-xing this weekend in big clumsy Subaru so I'm not going out there to win.

·
Registered
2000 WRX STi VI Type-RA Ltd
181 Posts
I think the CF hood bumps you straight to SM. Everything else is legal for STS, assuming your "full exhaust" still has cats that are within 6" of the stock location.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
I know my car isn't set up for auto-x but I want to auto-x it before I get my suspension. Usually I'd take the Miata and I'm sure I will suck miserably at auto-xing this weekend in big clumsy Subaru so I'm not going out there to win.
That's the best way to do it! You will set your suspension up a lot better once you know what's missing.

Like others said, SM (TSM if your region has street tire classes) -- good luck and most importantly - have fun!

PS: Seeing how you're in Ohio, are you going to the Perrysburg autoX this weekend?

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the best way to do it! You will set your suspension up a lot better once you know what's missing.

Like others said, SM (TSM if your region has street tire classes) -- good luck and most importantly - have fun!

PS: Seeing how you're in Ohio, are you going to the Perrysburg autoX this weekend?

(*@&# I didn't want to be in SM but I guess it doesn't matter. :mad:
No, I'm going to the Buckeye Miata Club auto-x in Columbus. Anyone can go but club members have first registration.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
well if you wanna give me your CF hood so you can be in a lower class...that would be fine. :)

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
Yeesh. Good luck in SM your first time out. I would find a way to unload that CF hood if I were you. Maybe make some cash back from it. You could always go with a painted JDM aluminum hood. Even though it is a lighter hood technically it is an OEM part so you should be fine in STS especially since you are responsible for classing your own vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
do you still have your stock hood lying around?

Its easy to change it out :)

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
Yeesh. Good luck in SM your first time out. I would find a way to unload that CF hood if I were you. Maybe make some cash back from it. You could always go with a painted JDM aluminum hood. Even though it is a lighter hood technically it is an OEM part so you should be fine in STS especially since you are responsible for classing your own vehicle.
Not true. It is not a USDM part so you can not use it. You do class your own car, but should be honest about it.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
Not true. It is not a USDM part so you can not use it. You do class your own car, but should be honest about it.
Well, it is available for order from US dealerships...... so it kinda is USDM.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah- I know I'm going to lose miserably but that's not why I am racing this weekend. I ordered my suspension set up last week and I'm going to be waiting on it (3-6 weeks) so I want to auto-x my car before I set it all up. My Miata is my auto-x car and is set up for auto-x (for the most part) so I don't feel the need to go kick some butt in my Subaru. It's my daily.

I bought the car with the c/f hood. I personally do not prefer it, but it came with it so I'm not going to complain too much about some weight reduction. In the future I'm either going to panda my car (c/f trunk and black roof) or swap out the hood for an aluminum one.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, I wish my car is working right now. I've never auto-x before but want to try it out and i live in Columbus.
Hmm...I don't think I have met you. Are you on Central Ohio Subarus? I have only really seen one BRP around. Unless you are the dude that works at Carmax???

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Hmm...I don't think I have met you. Are you on Central Ohio Subarus? I have only really seen one BRP around. Unless you are the dude that works at Carmax???
If you feel like driving a little further, check out noraracing.net for events up in the Cleveland area. Bring the Miata or the Subie....we'd love to have you either way.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you feel like driving a little further, check out noraracing.net for events up in the Cleveland area. Bring the Miata or the Subie....we'd love to have you either way.
My parents live near Cleve. I'm not seeing any events on the website though.. ?? I would check it out though, it would just suck if I broke something and had to tow it 2.5 hours home.

ps. They threw everyone who wasn't a Miata into STX yesterday. It's not like it was competitive (except for two Hondas who kicked everyone's asses) but it was a blast. I am definitely impressed with how my car ran on stock springs/dampers and all season tires lol!!

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
The RSs are surprisingly quick, even in stock-ish form. The look on peoples faces when they look under the hood and can't find the turbo is proceless :D

Using the autoX this weekend as an example - I was a second off of a Civic driven by a multi-time national champ (John Tak) in my 'rallyX prepped' RS on worn Falkens in STS... and 0.018 seconds ahead of his co-driver, who is probably around my level driver-skill-wise.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
My parents live near Cleve. I'm not seeing any events on the website though.. ?? I would check it out though, it would just suck if I broke something and had to tow it 2.5 hours home.

ps. They threw everyone who wasn't a Miata into STX yesterday. It's not like it was competitive (except for two Hondas who kicked everyone's asses) but it was a blast. I am definitely impressed with how my car ran on stock springs/dampers and all season tires lol!!
The chances of you needing a tow home are slim. And even if you did, "we'd make it happen"....says the guy whose car is currently sitting on a trailer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts