Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello pros,
I am a beginner to auto x. Not to Subys or knowing how to drive it:biggest:
So I have Tein Coils overs , Street tires, Sparco seats non reclinable, cat back exhaust , cluctch and flyhweel, SO where do i stand??

Trhanks
Richie

·
Registered
91 Posts
what about this stuff?

flywheel, intake, bonnet, short shifter, all of these are modifications that would take you out of stock. I think the flywheel takes you out of STS....

As a registrar for the philly region scca, I'm often amazed what some people consider "stock".

FYI, for anybody that doesn't know what class you're in, make sure you tell us ALL of the mods... even if you think they don't matter.... because they DO MATTER.... :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Okay, I ran an autocross over the weekend. When asked what class I told them STS. They said okay, I was being honest but now after a little searching I don't know what class I should have been in. Here are my mods:

2002 2.5RS with,

Ganzflo intake
Amsoil drop in Air Filter
20mm rear sway bar
N1 Lightweight Pulleys

Everything says STS but the pulleys, but I can't find out by changing them what class I get thrown into.

Any help would be appreciated. All in all, I won't be a threat to anyone because I suck as a driver. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Imprezawd: Only your catback and tires are legal in Stock. The flywheel, clutch and seat all kick you from STS (seat must be reclining in STS). The seat is probably STX legal but you still can't do a flywheel or clutch there, so DSP is the lowest class you can run in.

Cone Eater: Pulleys can be replaced in STS IF the crank pulley is not also a "damper". The ruling is based on the service manual description and the Subaru service manual only calls them pulleys so you are fine. Neons cannot use UD pulleys in STS because their service manual calls it a pulley/damper assembly (or something like that).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks Warp3...By the way I only ate 1 cone in 5 runs...My son on the other hand ate at least 8(5 in one run) :biglaugh:

Thanks Again

·
Registered
410 Posts
10th Warrior said:
actually, the tires aren't stock legal because they're 17s.
Good call...I was only looking at the post not his signature so I didn't catch the 17x7 rims.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
man that suxs

Oh well . Also I will be using mY stock 16's with kumhos on their!! Not my 17's

Well thatnks for your help.
I will probably be in DSP then huh??
I dont even want to ask what cars are in that class!!

Richie

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cone Eater: At one of the "Nite Series" autocrosses last year, I got to wondering if I had to lift on a certain turn. I had on every run and it went well. So I got the idea I was going to hold the gas down this time through it. Mowed down all 6 cones that defined the following curve... :lol:

Imprezawd: I'll tell you anyway... :p :D

2002 Street Prepared Car Listings

Most of the competition isn't too bad in DSP...the winners at nationals are usually the Fiat X1/9 drivers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Warp3,

I basically suck as a driver. Finished 61+ seconds on a course that the best times were 55+. In my defense I was RE92s with, just the mentioned mods, and doing autocross for the first time in 17 years. Lost to some SE-r's and Neon r/t's with veteran drivers.

The scary part is my son had a clean run 63.009. He is 16, never driven in a solo event, had his license a total of 3 months, and seldom drives the Subaru! :eek:

As I told a friend(Who drives a modded WRX) that my son beat,

Be Afraid...Be Very Afraid

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Welcome to DSP!!!

Now get some race tires and leave the STS tires behind! You get to do quite a bit in SP so take advantage of it. You already have the coilovers and IIRC swaybars. You're going to need race tires to be competitive and truthfully, you'll like them better. You can run a stand alone ECU if you want, and technically, you could remove the cats (depending on your emmisions laws). Headers are legal. If you don't have a harness, you might consider one (or two). Brakes are up to you so long as they go on stock mounting holes, so there's room for improvement there. Weight will be your biggest enemy here, since I think you're weighing in heavier than older models? You can remove all sound deadening so long as you leave the carpet (which can be lightweight). Wheels are restricted to 8" wide (i think) and fenders may be rolled but not flared, or something similar. For the motor, you can technically overbore by 1mm, and extrudehone the intake. Porting cannot alter the size of openings, only clean up ridges. short shifters are allowed.

This is all as I understand it. I may be mistaken in some of my interpretations, so it's not the gospel....YMMV.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Anyone want to help me out and tell me what class im in? i have never autoX either and will be in my first one at Carlile in May.
My mods every thing.
17" Rims
C-west front bumper(dont think it would matter)
CAI
Pulleys
Rear strut bar
wide angle side view mirrors(dont think it matters)
Shift Knob( dont think it matters)
rear diff cover(same as above)
umm i think thats it.
I listed all b/c
FYI, for anybody that doesn't know what class you're in, make sure you tell us ALL of the mods... even if you think they don't matter.... because they DO MATTER....
Thanks Alex

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RS club Rocks!!

Thanks a lot guys!!
Thanks storm!!

Well I am more on the side of RS club Way more than I club. So much bashing is going on over thier!! They are even bashing Alex !! The [email protected]!! Oh well This club will never turn out like that. WAY TO ORIGINAL!!

RIchie
I am readly to get my ass kicked in DSP!!

ME :sputter: :burnout: DSP competitors!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yea I do have 3pts awell. Just the damn lap belt always rides up on me!!
I need the right lap belt part to be shortened!!

RIchie

I am going to order schroth 3 pts for me and give the passengers my Sparco Clubman 3pts!!

Schroth is a way better belt! And safer:D

:borg:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Elite421 said:
17" Rims
C-west front bumper(dont think it would matter)
CAI
Pulleys
Rear strut bar
wide angle side view mirrors(dont think it matters)
Shift Knob( dont think it matters)
rear diff cover(same as above)
Based on what you listed you are in STS (assuming you have a 2.5RS or other N/A Scooby).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't know if will change the class im in but i also have a " Master Brake Cylinder Bracket" would this move me out of STS? I forgot i had it:rolleyes:
Alex

·
Registered
29 Posts
Elite421,
Yes, the bracket does move you out of STS. Take it out and paint it black.

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts