Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS White
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
umm....what can i do to my 2002 RS for $1500?? :boxer: and uhh how much horse power can i gain?:(

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Ganz CAI, Stromung Catback, Cobb Cat, Borla Headers, Cobb Street Cams. You'd have a decent running car with all of this. I have a Ganz CAI, Stromung Catback, PROECM chip, and various other mods; and my car dosent run bad.. Listed below are my mods..

Ganz CAI w/ K&N Filter
20MM Rear Swaybar
Kartboy Shifter with MOMO Airleather Shift Knob
Hawker 13.5 Lb Battery
Stromung SS Catback
PROECM Chip
Kuhmo Ecsta 712s
Whiteline Subframe Lock kit
Removed about 150 lbs so far and I use Mobil 1 and NGK Plugs

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
And regardless of what She said, don't buy from Cobb, he just repackages shit and charges more money. The only worthwhile items that you can get from him only are his Cams, Heads, and Shortblocks. For example, Borla headers are 400 something on his webpage. You can buy them for less than 300 on other webpages, and 309 on Borlas webpage. This is just food for thought.

·
Registered
508 Posts
joefocker20 - Is right about the mark-up but you have to think he owns a large company that solely deals with Subies. Plus it takes money to do some R&D which he has done for the Subie market.

You could shop around and buy it piece by piece but I'd bet you'd only be save'n $100 - $200, that maybe alot but Cobb took the hastel out of shopping around and waste'n your time and money with his development.

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS White
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it does suck

my car does suck tho. my friend beat me in his 1991 honda accord :boxer: im depressed and want my car faster so just keep the suggestions coming, i still have lots to learn about mods for my scooby doo

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ouch... ok is your car a manual or auto?

Secondly, our cars are really easy to work on so you can save money by doing the installs yourself.

The cheepest and easiest mods are the CAI (any) and Exhaust (cat-back and muffler). 1hr tops

Next is easy but a pain in the ass well the Drivers side is a pain...

Plugs/Wires Go get a set of irridium plugs and Magnacore wires. 30mins tops (not much of a performance value so to say but it keeps the motor rev and burn faster better stronger)

The last two are kinda expensive/Difficult "Headers and Pulley"
Its not so much as difficult but just like the plugs they are a pain

headers needs to be warm (not hot, aka 65 deg or so easier to take off and pop on the new ones)

Pulley, this is the crank pulley. Put car in 1st or in park remove old pulley (you'll need a breaker bar or big friend) and replace. Make sure that you do not over tighten the tensonier.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Dont buy the UR underdrive pulley, you can buy the N1 style ones for nearly the same price from Imprezars.com, and you get 3 lightened pulleys. I wouldnt go with a Underdrive pulley, my car almost didn't start today its so damn cold, and if I would have been using one of them, it would be dead. Fuckin Dynabatt:mad:

·
Registered
508 Posts
joefocker20 said:
Dont buy the UR underdrive pulley, you can buy the N1 style ones for nearly the same price from Imprezars.com, and you get 3 lightened pulleys. I wouldnt go with a Underdrive pulley, my car almost didn't start today its so damn cold, and if I would have been using one of them, it would be dead. Fuckin Dynabatt:mad:
He has a point about the UD pulley but... its been said tons of times that the Pulley doesn't really effect the battery that much

Personlly I notice the light come in and out well Dim and then back to normal... I don't freak out because I know that I'll be driving for atleast 30mins and the battery should be back to normal by then.

As for the cold starts... well its just hard in general for a car to turn over from sitting in the cold all night. That again doesn't freak me out because I know what is happening.

From my own experiance (I've had this setup for 3yrs) that the car is fine and will start over everytime. Since your car is new you won't have any problems with the battery or anything else.

Lastly, you live in So-cal, if I remember corecrttly it get to be 65 as a low... so cold morning starts won't be an issue.

Oh and just in case if your worried about adding a system with the UD pulley, its also been said that if you were to add the largest amp and sub you'll need a capsitor no matter what, so that again brings the UD pulley is ok to a point.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
joefocker20 said:
And regardless of what She said, don't buy from Cobb, he just repackages shit and charges more money. The only worthwhile items that you can get from him only are his Cams, Heads, and Shortblocks. For example, Borla headers are 400 something on his webpage. You can buy them for less than 300 on other webpages, and 309 on Borlas webpage. This is just food for thought.
Their intake is not repackaged, it is the best on the market...

I agree some of their things are too rich for me, but they are the most active in the US subaru market...

the ganzflow is a good intake for the money, but not the best

and if i forgot to mention, their intake is the intake to get...;)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
joefocker20 said:
GFB makes a kit that underdrives the crank pulley, but also underdrives the alternator pulley, therefor negating the dimming that occurs with underdrive pulleys...

FWIW, my car's lights dim at idle with the stock pulley... Dern amp... :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
DanzBorin said:
GFB makes a kit that underdrives the crank pulley, but also underdrives the alternator pulley, therefor negating the dimming that occurs with underdrive pulleys...
GFB? sorry for my newbiness, could be that m tired and trying not to think too much:D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Go Fast Bits...

you have to search around on the net, but there are plenty of places that carry them. they are even cheaper than other 3 pulley sets IIRC...;)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
zoinkssooby said:
and so the hunt begins! thanx 4 the heads up. know anybody with them installed and pics?
no, but what would you like to know... I helped install them on a buddy's car...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts