Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. :) I think I want to do an USDM STi engine & trans swap. But I'll probably just get a USDM WRX engine and an aftermarket trans since the STi is limited and those parts will probably cost a fortune. Not going to do this anytime soon or anything, probably years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am going to tune and tune and tune my car once I throw the turbo on.... but now I am torn between a fast car or a fast bike:rolleyes:

Kurt

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who voted for other? When you vote for other, you're supposed to say what it is. :p

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
i would go with a USDM WRX swap. i think that is probably the most reliable way to go. thinking about that, but the cost of it. gee, is a lot. so, my other option i'm thinking about is getting an old 240SX and do a SR20 swap. heck, might cost almost the same and probably will be just as fun to drive.

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love 240s. SR swap should be a lot cheaper but then again, it's illegal...

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
I have made up my mind am I am going with the STI engine and tranny swap next year. I have got the money saved now and i think that will be the best, most reliable, and legal choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
impreza01 said:
I have made up my mind am I am going with the STI engine and tranny swap next year. I have got the money saved now and i think that will be the best, most reliable, and legal choice.
where are you going to get your sti engine from? What is the total cost? How much psi of boost can they handle stock?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
When/if they come over next year, i am going to get one. It is just going to be stock, but it will still put out something like 280 hp.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
MagicMT said:
I love 240s. SR swap should be a lot cheaper but then again, it's illegal...
they can't tell that it's not stock. :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
My plans for more power include a roll cage, Compomotive gravel wheels and Silverstone tires, DMS 50mm suspension, Sparco seats and harnesses, a rally odo, and a fire suspression system. So i guess my car will actually be slower with all the added weight. But I am going to remove the A/C too. :rolleyes: At least the car rattles.....

-Andy
(I put "other")

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
i say swap to a STI engine/tranny. it is the best choice up there since the engine stock has alot of hp and is reliable.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
JZ oo7 said:
i would go with a USDM WRX swap. i think that is probably the most reliable way to go. thinking about that, but the cost of it. gee, is a lot. so, my other option i'm thinking about is getting an old 240SX and do a SR20 swap. heck, might cost almost the same and probably will be just as fun to drive.
That's fine just don't become a Nissan Nazi and try to preach to the world how Nissans are Gods Gifts to everyone and that RWD is better than AWD

( Stupid Nissan Nazi's :curse: )

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey guys. Now i have 2 questions. Does the V7 ej20 have an opendeck or closed deck? And is it as easy to drop in like a v4-5 ej20? I want to know if i can drop a USDM ej20 into my 2000RS. And one other question. Are there any restricting points on the engine that are keeping it at 227HP? Can u easily bump the power to 280?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why not just go with the AVO turbo kit and pump out 288 ponies?? It's like 1/4 of the cost of the STI engin and transmission swap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the problem is, i dont want to sacrifice reliability for an engine that wasnt designed for a turbo. If i had an ej20 under the hood, i would feel safe because i know that engine is designed for turbo applications. That way i wouldnt mind bumping the power up because i the engine is designed for more stress from the turbo.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I totally agree with you on that. That's what's so killer about the AVO setup. It runs just 5 pounds of boost and hooks up that much power. One of the vendors here has it on his car, Sean @ Rally Tech I think, maybe he can tell us a little about how reliable his car has been. The truth is I’m concerned with bang for the buck. I’m not a rich guy or I would be driving a Corvette or a Porsche not a Subaru. Now correct me if I’m wrong, and it’s very possible that I am, but if you put a good turbo kit on our cars you will be making more go for less doe right? What’s a J-spec motor? $7000? and a 6 speed? another $7000. All to put out less than 300 horsepower. Sorry but that’s flat ass stupid and a waste of money. I’m an old V8 guy and if you knew what kind of car, let alone drive train, I could build for $14,000 you would shit yourself.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Just a few NA mods until I can do a JDM(recently done by I-Speed and passed CA smog) or US swap.

·
Registered
09 Legacy spec.B + 01 2.5RS
476 Posts
Tall J said:
I totally agree with you on that. That's what's so killer about the AVO setup. It runs just 5 pounds of boost and hooks up that much power.
Just remember what you're saying there. "Just 5 pounds of boost" on a 10:1 compression motor. That's a whole lotta force.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts