Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Vote for Aggressive Street Brake Pads you've USED (Like/Dislike)

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1999 10th AE MX-5/ Scion Xb
1,063 Posts
I had HP+ on the STi. Loved those brakes. The negative is how much they dust and how badly that dust will destroy your rims if you get lazy.

I had project Mu (b power as well as NS, I believe) on my old Honda Prelude. They sucked. I still got brake fade just from spirited driving every now and then.

My roommate had Axxis Ultimates. Those were a really good pad. Better feel than my Project Mu pads and cost less.
for project mu u have to try the HC+...the b power and NS are there 1 step up from stock pad. HC+ are the track/street pad.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
Can't change my vote. But I just got the Stoptech Sport and love them!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Can't change my vote. But I just got the Stoptech Sport and love them!
I have these too and they work great! My only minor complaint is that when stopped and letting off the brake to get going again, they make this weird "ungrapling" sound when they let go and start to slide.

Weird to explain, but yet. Doesn't bother me that much actually.

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Could anyone chime in if there is a pad that rests somewhere between the HPS and HP+? I'm concerned about the noise and dust levels. (is there such a thing as an intermediary, or should I just eat it and get the HP+'s?)

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
Could anyone chime in if there is a pad that rests somewhere between the HPS and HP+? I'm concerned about the noise and dust levels. (is there such a thing as an intermediary, or should I just eat it and get the HP+'s?)
If you have any concern about noise and dust forget the HP+.

Your wheels will be black every time you drive the car and they squeal at low speeds.

I thought I could live with it, but took them out after a few weeks.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
That's great info. Thanks! Any recommendations for something a step above HPS?
I can speak from experience vs the HPS and Stoptechs. The Stoptechs I believe have better feel.. they're grabbier, better initial bite. Overall stopping performance seems to be very similar.

I'd point you in the direction of the EBC line.. between the EBC reds and yellows. Reds are more of a street oriented pad which will do great being completely cold and having to suddenly stop. Yellows tend to have a better bite once warmed up a little, but stay much more consistent with repetitive stops.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
I'm not going to vote because I don't use race tires (yet) and don't need super aggressive brakes, but I will say the Duralast Gold pads have enough grip to lock up 140 treadwear summer tires (on a severely lightened '97 Impreza).

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I'm not going to vote because I don't use race tires (yet) and don't need super aggressive brakes, but I will say the Duralast Gold pads have enough grip to lock up 140 treadwear summer tires (on a severely lightened '97 Impreza).
Quite honestly, I think all brake pads have the capability to lock up the brakes and have the ABS come on, even with summer tires.

We mainly upgrade our brake pads for more noticeably for feel (street and track/autox use), and also to combat brake fade (mostly a track/autox thing).

But nice to see the Duralast Gold work for you with 140 treadwear wires... that's down to some of the more sticker street tires. Any stickier and you're getting down to R-comp territory, ha.

... speaking of which, I really wonder if standard or replacement pads would be able to have the ABS come on with R-Comps from a full out stop.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza (Awaiting Swap)
764 Posts
My Stoptech Street Performance Pads have a INSANE amount of brake dust, its borderline ridiculous. Other than that they have a nice bite.

·
Registered
MY00 //// BRP 2.5RS coupe
3,369 Posts
Going to put it out there if you have older generation abs it will do more harm than good with nice pads and tires.

I'm probably on the extreme use side of brakes so still on stuff like carbotech xp12 or dtc70/60

If street ability like no noise etc ferodo 2500 are golden and will survive full track day sessions.

These stoptech street pads, end ,etc will give up when you need them most if you do drive aggressive enough (speaking from experience ) if they aren't, then most likely you guys aren't driving to that pace to need race pads or race tires. Since pads should be picked based on tires and conditions it will be subjective to.

The race pads have a different operating temp therefore some will not have that initial "bite" associated with braking power. (My prius has great bite! Wouldn't mean it has great pads)

To really get into you could search up brake coefficients of each pad and temperature ratings as well as calculating your brake bias of your car if you have modified your braking system.

From there you can see which brake pads will help you get the desired brake bias.

Other than that, work on brake ducts and maybe switching to floating rotors that have better designed inner fins and structure to combat warping and increase cooling.

·
Registered
1999, GC8, EJ20,Dark Blue Mica
123 Posts
Just ran 2000 km on Carbotech XP10 pads.

- need a bit to warm up, say... first stop at the traffic lights
- when cold - they brake like normal street pads. When warmed up they really grip strong. You use half the brake force on the pedal than usual.
- didn't get them to fade, not once
- they do dust - A LOT
- exp wash the car at gas station, drive for 10 km, come home, have dust on the rims... :/
- cost me around with VAT almost 8 times the price of Pagid, Textar or similar, but they were worth it!

IMHO
Best brake upgrade.
Result is almost as putting bigger discs or stronger calipers.

·
Registered
99 OBS
35 Posts
Break noob here. Looking to upgrade pads and rotors on my 99 OBS. Will be used as a dd, but I also take it mountain offroading for fun. Lots of elevation change, and soft dirt. Ideas for pads? (Most of the comments in here were for spirited street driving, and I'm not sure what's comparable).

·
Registered
MY00 //// BRP 2.5RS coupe
3,369 Posts
Since you are not doing anything extremely high speed, anything oem or better would be fine

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i'd say something in a gold line from either autozone or advance.

something i would add though, you can upgrade the fronts a little for not much added. you're already wanting to buy rotors, so just buy wrx rotors and the brackets for an 02. calipers stay the same.

·
Registered
99 OBS
35 Posts
i'd say something in a gold line from either autozone or advance.

something i would add though, you can upgrade the fronts a little for not much added. you're already wanting to buy rotors, so just buy wrx rotors and the brackets for an 02. calipers stay the same.
So, 02 WRX rotors and brackets for the front, would I get that from the dealership? Keep the back stock?

The gold lines would be good for long downhill sections where I would be riding the breaks a lot? My speeds never get above highway, 65ish

Thanks guys, I'm a slight car noob and trying to become more literate about my vehicle. :D

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,208 Posts
^ rockauto.com or your local parts store

For the rear, you will need to undergo a drum to disc conversion since you have an OBS, this is the parts list if you were to have an RS with full disc brakes.

for the effort, and for more bling you might as well consider upgrading to WRX 4/2 pots, you're gonna be spending a pretty penny just converting your rear drums to discs, and if you'd like your front 1 pots to 2 pots, might as well skip the RS 2/1 and go 4/2.

I've been studying this WRX/H6 rotor upgrade option for a while, but have yet to find the funds to grab the setup.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts