Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Vote for Aggressive Street Brake Pads you've USED (Like/Dislike)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
1,528 Posts
I got the HP plus and put them in today. They are great. Best brake pad I have ever used. I'm amazed at how well it stops, this is a 2700 lb Impreza with 4/2's. The factory Subaru pads that were in the 4/2's are garbage, absolute junk compared to these.
I told you?

:)

There are many in this thread who STILL think a 'good street metallic pad' = a race pad.

Sorry - but..."You just don't know"

It does not matter what $25 pad didn't fade and got you through the day.

Dancing on the whoa pedal w/ one toe whilst blip downshifting......nirvana...

Proper friction allows you to get faster.

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
Dancing on the whoa pedal w/ one toe whilst blip downshifting......nirvana...

Proper friction allows you to get faster.
This.

I bought a used set of JDM 4pots (black ones) and they had some green pads in them (project mu i think) and they were pretty decent, then one weekend right before an autox event i put on new HP+ and new rotors. brake checked a few times on the freeway to make sure they were working, then on the first run of the event i locked up all 4 after coming wide out of a turn, without even trying. talk about freaky! gotta love good brakes :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
1,528 Posts
More friction means more sensitivity

ABS is great - but it's a a failsafe for newbs and a crutch for the weak. The car slows down fastest when on the brink of lockup - and high friction pads enable you to tread that line that much better.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
+1 for HP+ Pads!!
Wow!! I admit, while I had high expectations for these pads, I had NO idea they were that good!! Damn!! Ok.. I've only had them on for 8 hour, but the difference astounding.

My old pads, Axis MetalMasters. No dust, no noise, and 10+ years of service. Actual braking performance is slightly above OEM.

HP+... require (no exaggeration) 1/4 the pedal pressure to accomplish the same stopping power. They are definitely more noisy than my old pads, and we'll see how the rotor and pad life is, but wow.. the stopping power is truly incredible. I actually have to re-learn how to use the brakes in my car. I'm pressing the pedal way to hard for the stopping power.

I think I detached my retinas on that last hard braking maneuver! :lol:

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Outback Sport
266 Posts
I used Axxis Ultimates on my '03 WRX brake swap onto my '97 OBS with stock WRX rotors. Great stopping power, fast street driving, 1 track day. Super dusty pads, but good stopping. I got about 15K miles on one set. Switching to the Stoptechs this time around, hoping for less dust.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I have to put a vote in for the Hawk HPS. I don't have anything to compare them to besides stock (or maybe basic replacements), but they're nice and grabby for street driving paired with Centric blank rotors.

You're kinda limited when looking for 1 pot pads, but these got the job done.

·
serenity now
AW 99 2.5rs, LRP 11 wrx
4,126 Posts
+1 for HP+ Pads!!
Wow!! I admit, while I had high expectations for these pads, I had NO idea they were that good!! Damn!! Ok.. I've only had them on for 8 hour, but the difference astounding.

My old pads, Axis MetalMasters. No dust, no noise, and 10+ years of service. Actual braking performance is slightly above OEM.

HP+... require (no exaggeration) 1/4 the pedal pressure to accomplish the same stopping power. They are definitely more noisy than my old pads, and we'll see how the rotor and pad life is, but wow.. the stopping power is truly incredible. I actually have to re-learn how to use the brakes in my car. I'm pressing the pedal way to hard for the stopping power.

I think I detached my retinas on that last hard braking maneuver! :lol:
i got 2 summer autox seasons a few winter events here and there, maybe about 2.5 years of dding and they used an entire rotor.

best pad i have ever used i will never get something less aggressive :)

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
This.

I bought a used set of JDM 4pots (black ones) and they had some green pads in them (project mu i think) and they were pretty decent, then one weekend right before an autox event i put on new HP+ and new rotors. brake checked a few times on the freeway to make sure they were working, then on the first run of the event i locked up all 4 after coming wide out of a turn, without even trying. talk about freaky! gotta love good brakes :)
I have a set of Project mu's (HC's specifically) on a set of 4 pot front's with V1-2 WRX/STi / LSS Vented rear rotor set-up with junk OEM pads, SS lines & good fluid (superblue or whatever they all it) on my OBS-t & the braking is INCREDIBLE.

I was planning on getting another set of P-mu HC's especially after the friction material of the hawks on my parent's WRX delaminated (1 side NO Friction material - other side had the friction material FALL off when pad was removed for replacement...) BUT they are expensive as hell.

Do you happen to remember which P Mu pads you had - they sell like 3-4 different versions?

Pretty sure the hawks are like 1/2 PMU price & folks seem to love them so I still might give them a try when my pads wear out...

·
Registered
99 Black 2.5RS
112 Posts
i was on the market to buy some front brake pads for my rs. it was a decision between hawk hp+ or stoptechs but with me being a college student, i went with the stoptechs. one of my close friends run ST pads also and he warned me about how bad they dust. IT IS TRUE. it has a pretty good bite but i'll probably give hawk pads a try next time for 30-40 dollars more

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
I'm looking for another set of Mintex m1155 pads for FHI 4 pots. They were badass pads that had great bite and little fade. I could drive hard on the street with full confidence in their stopping power. They dusted quite a bit, but hey. Even tracked them before they were completely worn. Unfortunately none are sold in North America.

Also want a set of Porterfield R4-S pads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HP+ are awesome as far as stopping power (had them on a DD STi), but the noise was so awful that I just got so sick of it and swapped to PosiQuiets and have been super happy with them for DD/spirited driving. HP+'s have also been dusting like crazy, but I had black wheels at the time and didn't care...lol. It's not dirty if you can't see it.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
142 Posts
Is there any way to see the poll results without voting??

·
Registered
98 2.5RS BDP
564 Posts
I would definitely go with Hawk HP+ again. Seeing as the last track even, I scared the crap out of my racing instructor, doing a very late brake duel against a friend that had Project Mu's racing brake pads on his brembo brakes.

·
Registered
V5 STi Type R
9 Posts
Not on the list, but Carbon Lorraine (now CL brakes), RC6 compound front and rear, very, very good. Brilliant off cold, no funny transfer problems, nice on the rotors, dust isnt corrosive, modulate nicely. They're sintered iron. Use them on my STi type R with FHI 4 and 2 pots, for hillclimbs and short sprints, car doesn't have abs either.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
EBC greens. great stopping power. TONS of dust. somewhat noisy.

axxis metal masters. better stopping power than the EBC's. TONS of dust, more than EBC's even. more noise the EBC's.

current is centric premium ceramics. decent stopping power. virtually no dust. no noise.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Semi-metallics from Napa for 60$ for all 4.

Summer time- Pros: Awesome initial bite and almost no fade under spirited driving.
Summer time- Cons: Squeaky, dusty(not that I care about dust).

Winter time- Pros: they are brake pads
Winter time- Cons: Freezing temp initial bite is NON EXISTANT, take a while to get warmed up to useable temps.

Overall, I think next year when I burn these up I'll go full metallic, because these are awesome, but I still want more aggressive.

·
serenity now
AW 99 2.5rs, LRP 11 wrx
4,126 Posts
hawk ht-10
awesome pad good initial bite, better that the hp+
zero fade
needs to get to temp before hard driving, not a pad to be used for DD duty

operating temps 300*-1600*F

·
Registered
2001 AW Coupe
223 Posts
I had HP+ on the STi. Loved those brakes. The negative is how much they dust and how badly that dust will destroy your rims if you get lazy.

I had project Mu (b power as well as NS, I believe) on my old Honda Prelude. They sucked. I still got brake fade just from spirited driving every now and then.

My roommate had Axxis Ultimates. Those were a really good pad. Better feel than my Project Mu pads and cost less.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts