Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Vote for Aggressive Street Brake Pads you've USED (Like/Dislike)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
READ BEFORE VOTING

Ok.. we've all seen the countless "What Brake Pads should I get" threads! We've got hundreds of them in here, and each thread has post after post of "I like XXX pads" and "I love YYY Pads", "never use ZZZ pads"... etc.. etc.. etc...

So... how about this... a public poll for us all to indicate pads we've used on our cars and liked or disliked. And by Liked, I mean pads you'd actually spend $$$ on and use again. The concept is easy enough, Vote for the pads you have tried. NOT the pads you've heard about. I repeat DO NOT VOTE FOR PADS YOU'VE NOT PERSONALLY TRIED!!!

I know, one glaring thing missing here is the Type of Use the pads will see.
Since most of us looking to switch pads are looking for a good aggressive street pad, that could also do well on an AutoX or light track day, let's target that category. Lets face it, the non-aggressive Daily Driver might as well just stay with stock pads. And the Race-Driver is going to get the uber-high end race only pads. So... Sport-Street pads Mmkay?

If you don't see the Pads you've used in the poll, just post in here, and I'll add them. If you've voted for one set of pads, and have since used another set you'd like to vote for, post in here what you'd change in your votes, and I'll adjust the poll.

As Mikey has already done below, feel free to comment on specifics of your pads.
Since it's likely this thread could grow to mammoth proportions, much like BigWigs Ego ;) We mods will over time trim out the fat from this thread to keep it On Topic. Thus, making it easier for others to find the info they are after on a specific pad.

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,542 Posts
Duralast red box.

Cheap, available, low dust, not good for performance driving, faded after 3 heavy braking zones. good for a cheap replacment.

Hawk HP+

used on my corolla and mr 10.1 RS brakes.

Wouldnt reccomend anything else. slightly noisy when cold, a little grabby when cold as well for the 1st stop. but after that there quiet, stop strong and ive never got them to fade, no matter how much left foot braking on throttle ive done or 100-0 stops. well worth the price.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Not much, but that's no reason not to add them to the poll.
I just don't know of any myself. Feel free to inform us!
<--- not a brake expert!

·
Registered
1999 10th AE MX-5/ Scion Xb
1,063 Posts
Let me look online and i'll pm you. But mu and endless are the popular choices in Japan.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
HP+ pads are excellent, they are fully capable of locking up my 275s. Very high dust and somewhat noisy.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 02c on the Axxis MetalMasters/XBG.

I've had them on my car since 2002, and to this day, there is still some pad left.
That's over 180,000 KM and includes 4+ seasons of AutoX.
They seem to stop just fine, and have no problems locking up a set of 225/50 Hoosiers. They don't dust much at all, and have off-and-on squeeked throughout the years. The only big negative I've found is that after running through a big mud-puddle, the all but don't work! It caught me off guard a couple of times. In other words, they hate being wet or ice-cold!

All that said, yes, I'd buy them again.
I plan to however be going with Hawk pads next time around.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Sedona Red
713 Posts
Been using Axxis Ultimate for many years now.....only complaint is lot of dust.

Supposedly not quite as good as the Hawks, but I can usually pick up full set of front and rears for $100 or so depending on who is having a group buy...I have never found a better value.

Put a used set from my RS onto my wifes Forester and did not tell her.....after her first drive even SHE commented on how much better it stopped!!!!

·
Registered
06 WRX
1,178 Posts
There are quite a few kinds of pads under the "carbotech" name, especially if you're looking at aggressive ones.

I personally have their Bobcats (low end of their lineup) and while I am very pleased with their performance, I have a friend that road courses his car often, and would never choose anything less than XP-8.

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
I've used EBC redstuff and Carbotech bobcat on cars. Both were noisy and dusty as expected. Both worked really well, no problems.

·
Registered
00' RS
1,014 Posts
My car does auto-x, track days and the occasional rally-x.

I run Wilwood pads on the front of my car, but then again I have Wilwood calipers. I'm a big fan of the BP-20 "smart pads". Great torque curve all the way up to 900 deg. F, low dust, and pretty good bite when cold. They're at the top end of Wilwood's line of medium tempurature pads. I like these pads so much I haven't tried anything else yet. Depending on how often I go to the track they last 1-2 seasons with daily driving thrown in. I have a feeling if I had more power and higher speeds at the end of the straights I may have to step up in tempurature range, but until that day comes really happy with these.

On the rears I have Hawk HPS, not really a big fan of these. First time I had them on the road course I slightly overheated them and now they are noisey as hell. The track really isn't a heavy braking track with only two hard braking zones for my car. It may be a different story if I had vented rear rotors, but I was disappointed with them.

·
College eats money
MY02 WRX Wagon
342 Posts
I've used Carbotech products on three cars. I would recommend Bobcats as an alternative to Hawk HPS and the AX6 is a great trackday pad with little fade if used on a track without heavy braking sessions.

If you are serious auto-x or on brake intensive courses (touge/downhill, etc):
Ferodo DS3000 or go home in my opinion. With FHI 4/2pots I've yet to experience brake fade on these in my heavy pig of a WRX even after several heavy braking sessions to try and find the fade point. The WRX is my DD as well, but I haven't found the dust to be overwhelming (I run stock silver RS 5 and 6 spokes, so it's easy to tell when there is brake dust!), and most comes off without much effort.

These are also on the brembo equipped PGGSTi (OBS) in my profile pic, and can easily bring that car down to speed, having no trouble locking up the wheels if one isn't careful.

Going to be trying some PFB (Performance Friction Brakes) pads when the DS3000's on the WRX are up (4+ years and counting), there is a nice listing here of the different compounds:

Performance Friction Brakes

·
Registered
2002 Forester
464 Posts
I kind of wish you could vote for more than just one, so we could cover several products we've used and would either suggest or not suggest. I think only being able to vote on one thing does limit the amount of data each person can offer. It beats you having to manual adjust things.

Me:
Redstuff - Like in terms of oem replacement with a lot better fade resistance.
Carbotech AX6 - Dislike in terms of very non-linear behavior relative to temp and friction level
(I voted this already) Carbotech XP8 - Like in terms of linearity with great insensitivity to temp and excellent sensitivity to pedal effort

One brand not listed is Cobalt Friction. My bro's used the CSR. I've driven on them a little bit, very good in terms of bite and feel, horrid in wear. The buggers just eat rotors like candy.

Cobalt CSR - Dislike in terms of very rapid rotor wear, great if you don't mind buying new pads and rotors twice a year, lol, but there are better options that offer similar operation and a lot better wear, i.e. XP8. :p

1 - 20 of 87 Posts