• Kuhmo ECSTA Supra 712

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been doing some reseach on these tires. I've heard rave reviews of the Kuhmo Ecsta MX(1st pick) and the Sumotio HTRZ II(2nd pick). what are your opinions? I'm also considering the followings: (listed in favorable order)
3rd Yokohama AVS Sport
4th Yokohama ES 100
5th Kuhmo Ecsta 712

I'm also considering the price per value. The more I can save the better I am... we all know the idea I'm a student and I'm poor...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
well, in that case, the only tire listed that i have any personal experience with (and it wasn't even on my car) is the Kumho 712. pretty good tire and you can't beat that price.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually looking @ the AVS ES100 better thread life out of all the tires and pretty good ride

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I recomend the Sumotio HTRZ II. I've had them on my car for a few months now and I love these tires. They are excellent in the wet and great in the dry.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I got a set of Nitto NT450 for less than the cost of the kuhmos and I was told they were a better tire. Could have been blowing smoke up my ass but I love'em. Local dealer was going to give me a good deal. Buy the 4 17inch Nitto 450 for $400 and a set of gunmetal motegi mr7's for $450. If I would have had the extra cash I would've done it. I'm kicking myself now.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
I voted MX, but the sumitomo would be a close second...

Kumhos are okay for everyday driving, but offer little in the way of grip during spirited driving, and are appaling at autocross...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've only driven on the Kuhmo 712's out of those. They held up well. I put around 20k miles and 10-12 auto-x on them. They have about 45% tread left.

I voted for the MX. I believe it is supposed perform closer to the Azeni's.

I took my 17's off last august. Went back to stock with stock sized Azenis. One of the best things I've done to the car. No problems in the rain either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've driven on the Kumho 712's and i'm not exactly fond of them.

Next time I'm going to buy the ES100. They seem to be pretty good.

Sports are over priced. The 712's even beat them.

I will try the MX as well but only after the es100 and possible some falken azenis.

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Falken Azenis!

Great in wet or dry.
I would stay away from a ton of standing water though......not a whole lot of tread.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
10th Warrior said:
or if they are worn, they are incredibly scary in the wet.
most any worn tire is scary in the wet...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
not like an azenis though! my sp5000 are heavily worn, especially the rears but i'm fine in the wet. ok, maybe they aren't as good as when they had full or even half depth, but they are more then fine for street driving. much better then worn out azenis by far.

·
ghost impreza
2008 Subaru Legacy GT
363 Posts
I've heard that about the Azenzis as well. Look at the tread pattern, and there's your answer :) Lots of rubber on the ground for dry traction, and enough grooves to sweep away water, but not enough to sweep away puddles. A lot like a sportbike tire actually (only without all that sidewall traction :D )

The AVS-ES 100's are definitely an improvement over the Kumho 712, which are themselves much better than stock. The 712's feel, I don't know, gooey. Like there's sidewall flex and the treads are moving around. The AVS-ES feel planted. Even running through big puddles in any of the monsoon rains we've had recently in the Northeast - I've had no issues. And, if you can believe this, I have LESS road noise than with the stock RE92's.

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
I must say, the best tire I've driven in the rain is my S03 set. They are superb. In the dry, though, the MX might be even better. I'd say let your wallet decide between the 2.

·
I need money
1998 sub 2.5rs WRB
1,046 Posts
wet n dry tires

MAn I love my Bfgoodrich KDW G force tires. They are just awesime in the rain. ANd they handle so great when wet. They have some road noise but that's okay. But I would choose over the other tires. But they are high in price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts