Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 impreza 2.5RS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.......
First off lesson learned, quite while you’re ahead.

today I was changing my hvac bulbs to red leds, because the passenger side had burnt out. Everything went well as I followed a forum I had seen on this site, only difference I was using leds not regular bulbs.
#74 leds (2721) as the post said both 2721 and 2723 would work.

this is that post here
DIY: HVAC Control Panel Light Bulb Replacement

Anyways that all went well my red hvac unit looked sick

So after being stoked about that I looked up the numbers for the cluster lights, which are also the same and decided I would make all my gauges red as well.
I also had made my cluster lights all blue with Leds before and that has been working great for over a year.

however when I started changing the leds to red I started with the tach then speedo. I noticed they looked a bit dim compared to my blue ones but were working.
I then went to change the clock and the turn signals because if I am not mistaken everything but the gas and temp gauge uses #74 bulbs.
But when I tested the turn signal it didn’t work and the clock flashed instead and so did the odometer.
After this everything started functioning weird and then getting dimmer and my odometer stopped showing the numbers and the clock stopped working.

I then proceeded to mess around with the bulbs thinking I had the polarity of something wrong somewhere
As I went on thing just started working less and less.
I changed the leds back to the blue ones that were working before and still they all are really dim and do not function properly even though they somewhat light up

Now after deciding I should stop d*cking around and leave it for another time to figure out, I went to start my car to park it on the street to be able to drive my moms car until I figure this out.
At this time when I went to start up my car the odometer would only show up for a second and then turn off. When I turned the key all the way the starter just clicked and my car now doesn’t start.
I feel like I may have fried some kind if major fuse but I checked each one and put them all back in the same spot and none were blown

I have no idea how just trying to change my cluster LEDs can go this horribly wrong but it has and I’m hoping someone on here can give me some kind of help or direction.

I tried to describe what I did wrong as best I could but just for extra info my car is a 1999 impreza 2.5rs coupe.

As of right now when turn on my car the odo only works for a second and the gauge only lights up at the middle setting on the stock and goes out when you turn headlights on.
And the car does not start the starter just makes a clicking noise and does not turn over.

hopefully someone can help cuz I f*cked up lol should have just stopped when I had the hvac unit working and rocked blue and red lights for a while,
But nothing I can do now except learn from my mistakes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dead battery was my first guess too.
Is it possible while working on the bulbs you accidentally toggled the parking light switch on top of the steering column and left it on for a while?

·
Registered
1999 impreza 2.5RS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dead battery was my first guess too.
Is it possible while working on the bulbs you accidentally toggled the parking light switch on top of the steering column and left it on for a while?
100% did that as when you pull out the cluster it kinda rests against the Peking light switch. Hopefully dead battery is all it is and then I can just make sure I dint have the bulbs in the wrong way

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
83 Posts
Any update on if that was the issue? About to tear into my cluster and don't want a catastrophe like this lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys I don't know how this happened but I found this thread and I actually bought this car off this guy and did not know this thread existed. If anyone can help Im trying to fix the problem as the dash lights are still fucked up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is it safe to say that the battery was replaced and the car at least runs now? I just want to make sure the problem of the car not starting is solved.

On the lights, I'd just revert everything back to the stock bulbs and see if that at least works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it safe to say that the battery was replaced and the car at least runs now? I just want to make sure the problem of the car not starting is solved.

On the lights, I'd just revert everything back to the stock bulbs and see if that at least works.
Yes the car runs fine. Just that the hvac and dash lights are flickering blue and really dim. I’ll try getting the oem bulbs for both the hvac and gauge cluster thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Every couple of weeks the car won’t start for about 15 minutes though. I think that has something to do with this error made a year ago :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts