Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 OBS G2 Rally Car
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My codriver welded up a phase 2 center diff for the rally car, and after we popped it back in, the driveshaft won't spin freely.

He followed the instructions here: Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

Can anyone give me ideas on why that didn't work? If the diff was somehow welded crookedly, would it have still installed without issue?

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
the drive shaft won't spin freely with a welded diff, it's a locked diff thts what they do

·
Registered
2002 OBS G2 Rally Car
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that's true. The way it's welded, it doesn't connect up to the front diff anymore, so as long as it is in neutral, with the wheels off the ground, I should be able to rotate the driveshaft...or at least be able to push the car. Right now it won't roll while in neutral.

·
Registered
2002 OBS G2 Rally Car
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of gear, car on lift, no front axles.

On the ground, out of gear, 3 guys pushing, it will move, but not roll at all.

The rear brakes aren't even plumbed, and no calipers, so it's not hung up on anything like that.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Same center diff that was in that case? If not, you might have too much shimmage on the bearing. Disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff and see if it's still bound up. If so, drop it out completely and put the car in gear. Start it up and ease the clutch out at idle. If it wants to stall, you've got issues internally.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Forester S 4EAT
209 Posts
he means that its too tight for the driveshaft to spin between the center and rear diffs, but its easier to disconnect at the rear than the center

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I understand what you mean, and want you to see if the center diff is now messed up from the wrong shims, installation error, or something else.

Now that I have read the link, I am even more suspect of the shimming. The act of welding in 2 different places has undoubtedly changed the dimensions of the diff, and will almost certainly need a different shim to keep the bearings happy.

Too much preload on the bearings inside the case.

·
Registered
2002 OBS G2 Rally Car
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt think that you could shim the center. I do like your idea of it being warped from the welding though. I have to toss a stock one back in just to make sure it works still.

For the record, the driveshaft didnt spin freely when disconnected from the rear.

Azer - pics or vids of what? I dont have any, but can take some if it would help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts