Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
No Subie to see here, carry on
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone welded some jack points to their impreza? I did this with my Datsun, welded 1" square stock just inside the pinch weld and was able to jack anywhere on the sides and had about 4ft of jack stand space.
Newer imprezas have them and so does my Rx8. I figure someone must have done this. If so, please reply with pictures.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
599 Posts
If you Google the Subaru rally cars, those typically have them, even some of the guys still running GC's

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,575 Posts
Yeah, the practice goes back as far as the 90s at least. The Subaru WRC team used these on their own cars. They have pin holes along the running boards but having a straight piece of metal running below the entire pinch weld as you suggested definitely makes jacking up the car faster and easier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Square stock worked great on the Datsun which was pretty square and also easy to seam seal after. The Subaru is more round. I guess I can use round stock but wanted to see what others are doing. It's really not much different than rock sliders, just a little bit more stealth.

Maybe I'll get some more responses. I'll also respond with whatever I end up doing though it might not be anytime soon as the todo list is quite long for that car.

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 2.5i
26 Posts
I've been curious about this too, with all the work I'm doing on my car to drivetrain swap it. The pinchwelds are hardly up to the task as a jacking point, and there aren't any ideal spots in the front of the car. Keep us posted.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,575 Posts
I actually prefer to jack up the car from a drivetrain component such as the control arm plate because Ive had several rusty subarus completely disintegrate that area of the body but usually the drivetrain is a safe place since its structural.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I checked some Subaru Rally jack pins and they actually use rectangular stock going down the whole side of the car just inside of the pinch weld and have the pin holes for their fancy jack stands. I'm not that fancy and just plan on using a regular floor jack and jack stands.
Here are some pictures on what I did with my Datsun. The load is distributed through the whole side of the car along the pinch weld. It was barely visable when looking from the side but allowed me to jack up the car anywhere along the "rock slider" and have plenty of space leftover for jack stands.
I was hoping somebody would see this that has already done something similar.
20151219_173701.jpg

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
734 Posts
Nice! I'll need to do the same, my poor coupe is so soft underneath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts