Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '00 RS back from a Midas for a simple brake job (needed a new caliper). On my way home, driving casually around like 2-3k RPM, it felt like the gas peddle just did not work, for about 1-3 seconds the RPMs would just slowly get lower and lower. Seems like it mainly happens when starting from a dead stop in 1st. Shifting to the next gear seemed to help about half the time. The clutch peddle feels pretty weak too (but it was like that before midas). When it happens you can either floor it and itll jolt back up and accelerate, or you just let off the gas completely for a second or two and try to gently get back on it (this doesnt seem to work very well). If I leave the gas pedal in the same position when it happens, the car will jolt violently, Is this a throttle issue? Some kind of sensor issue? I've had a CEL for an evap leak for almost a year now, but I guess I should scan it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like IAC valve or throttle position sensor.
I had the IACV replaced at a subaru dealership like a couple weeks ago so I'd really hope its not that.... Although today it did actually stall twice while just idling (around like 500-750 rpm).
Does it have that problem before the engine come up to operating temp?
It does this cold and warm.
Could this be a transmission issue? The clutch pedal feels really light.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,791 Posts
I don't think it's related, but why don't you bleed the clutch system to be safe. There's tons of vids on youtube that are subaru specific. You'll need a buddy.

It's possible your clutch master or slave or both could be going bad (again, I don't think it's related to your engine issue, but who knows)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it's related, but why don't you bleed the clutch system to be safe. There's tons of vids on youtube that are subaru specific. You'll need a buddy.

It's possible your clutch master or slave or both could be going bad (again, I don't think it's related to your engine issue, but who knows)
So you donk think its throttle related at all mike? Just like the clutch slipping?

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,791 Posts
I think your weak clutch pedal feel is not related to the throttle issue. But, if it was mine I would still get the clutch bled properly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It could really be any number of things. I had a bad fuel pressure regulator and the car started running lean (which I didnt know at the time). Probably misfires led to a speed sensor code. I replaced the speed sensor and it did nothing to correct the problem. After months of frustration when the car would go into limp mode, I went old school and just started checking everything. Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. So perhaps it could be a clutch slipping that is causing some erroneous data to be read by the speed sensor. The Impreza uses the speed sensor for some timing information in the ECM. Not saying that is what it is but just food for thought.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
374 Posts
So, this is kind of a wild guess, but I'd check for vacuum leaks, especially around the vacuum hose to the brake booster. I can't explain why it'd only happen sometimes though. Beyond that could be worth checking the throttle position sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts