Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been changing the driver's side fog light every once in a while, and I’ve noticed when the H3 bulb is burnt out, it’s a purplish color, the passenger side bulbs is always fine, if I run real cheap bulbs, they don’t last a week, I’ve ran PIAA H3 plasma Ion ones, and they only lasted about 7 months.

Question is; what can be causing the driver's side fog light to always burn and all, and not the passenger side? If you compare both fog lights, seems like the driver's side fog is a bit more yellowish, in the center, not the reflective part, compared to the passenger fog light. Is it a wiring problem? What exactly? All the electrical, I believe, is stock, I haven’t changed anything!

Let me know guys, can’t be the only one that’s its been happening too!! I want to settle everything before changing the bulbs out again...

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one eh? Nobody else has this problem??

JP

·
Premium Member
2000 Aspen 2.5RS, '95 L Coupe
231 Posts
I have had this problem before also on my 2000 RS. My driver's side bulb has gone out 3-4 times now for some reason. It also turned the glass in the middle where the bulb goes purple. My passenger side has gone out once but did not change the color of the bulb enclosure. I have still yet to find out why this happens though.

·
Better than you!
1997 LRSWRX, 1998 Lego GT
6,298 Posts
Its actually a manufacturer defect. I don't recall at great length what causes it but I do know that there are no TSB's for it. Basically what I've done before is to rewire the fogs and put a fuse in the middle so that pops before the bulb does.

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its actually a manufacturer defect. I don't recall at great length what causes it but I do know that there are no TSB's for it. Basically what I've done before is to rewire the fogs and put a fuse in the middle so that pops before the bulb does.
Thanks for the info!! what exactly is TSB's?? And what amp fuse would i use in this case... and i just put it in parallel with the wiring? im tired of burning fog lights bulbs!!

·
Better than you!
6,298 Posts
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, basically a warranty issue at dealerships. I think I used a 20A fuse, but its been a while. Keep in mind that if you rewire your fogs that you will not have the same functions, such as fogs only on with headlights, off with high beams and so on since you would be bypassing the fog light relay.

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, basically a warranty issue at dealerships. I think I used a 20A fuse, but its been a while. Keep in mind that if you rewire your fogs that you will not have the same functions, such as fogs only on with headlights, off with high beams and so on since you would be bypassing the fog light relay.
Ahh okok!! I know i did the fog lights always on mod (changing the wire from place in the connector) but switched back to stock, since the dash lights were going out, and i replaced the ICU, but would you happen to have a wiring diagram to do the wiring of the fogs? I dont mind having them on ''all'' the time and soo on..

JP

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the bulbs are overheating and popping, the heat causes the yellow/purple discoloration. I had that happen when I put in 100w bulbs.

I'd suggest just upgrading the wring, or if you wanna be super special, spend the $60 and get some 500's which will come with a wiring kit and lights that are 100x better than the stockers.

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, sounds like the bulbs are overheating and popping, the heat causes the yellow/purple discoloration. I had that happen when I put in 100w bulbs.

I'd suggest just upgrading the wring, or if you wanna be super special, spend the $60 and get some 500's which will come with a wiring kit and lights that are 100x better than the stockers.
But will the new and bettre wiring prevent the bulbs from overheating?

JP

·
Better than you!
6,298 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts