Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I got a new OEM clutch put in back in april, and when it came back from the shop the clutch pedal would only go halfway up it's normal travel i.e. only coming up as far as the effective (engaging) travel. I brought it back, and they adjusted something under the dash and it went back. Then, after I brought it home for the summer (got the job done down here in Richmond at school) it went right back down. Now, it shifted fine (and ws pretty cool because I could shift way faster way easier), but my mechanic and the place I took it to to get an alignment told me to get it fixed cuz that ain't right. Well I brought it back to the place today, and the guy went under to adjust it again. All he did was remove the pin to adjust the pedal and it come right back up by itself, which he can't understand any reason for. The fluid was a bit low, but it had been that way forever and seemed to have no effect on the pedal. We checked all but one seal in the system (the one under the carpet on the driver's side of the firewall) and they were all fine. So the pedal is fine for now, but it'll prolly go back down like it did the last 2 times. any ideas?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
master cylinder leaking internally or system needs to be filled and bled

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
master cylinder leaking internally or system needs to be filled and bled
Winnar!

That's my guess. Either your clutch master cylinder is toast, or you have to bleed the system. I just installed a WRX master cylinder and bled the system and my pedal is faaaaaaaannnntastic now :sunny:

·
Registered
MY99 OBS
1,690 Posts
how many miles on the car, have you replaced the clutch cylinder? The spring on the clutch cylinder goes out after a few thousand miles, mine went out around 60k-70k. The clutch wouldn't come up all the way because the spring was worn pretty bad. I think its best to keep all fluids at the max line so if goes down you know since it isn't at the max. Did they bleed the clutch and put new fluid in? maybe there is air in the system?

·
Registered
MY99 OBS
1,690 Posts
oops i meant the cylinder also, but thought of fork for some reason. :p

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the responses. Since it sounds like nothing more than a worn spring, do you think I could get away with leaving it until I upgrade my clutch? It doesn't seem to be wearing anything out, is it?

·
Registered
1999 RS RBP Coupe
399 Posts
I had a similiar problem a couple months ago, I replaced both the slave cylinder and line, but that didn't fix it, turns out the snout on my transmission ended up getting notched and the throwout bearing was getting caught on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts