Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Joe, I've been following that thread and really I'd say go for it. Now, there are a couple items that I cannot find weights for: A/C compressor, A/C condensor, roof liner, actual wight of stock bumper beams -vs- lightweight, airbags, steering wheel. Those are some pretty hefty pieces (except for the steering wheel). Also, you may want to start a source list (as you find vendors) with lightweight components (Al hood/trunk, bumper beams, etc).

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm not taking out my head liner or anything else that will make my car ghetto. I will take out the sound deadening in the spring and place the carpet back over the bare, painted floor. I think the ac weighs approximately 30 lbs if I'm not mistaken. The hood and trunk can be replaced, steering wheel replaced with MOMO or something.. I was thinking about taking the fuel injector covers off too, they weigh almost 3 lbs.. All rear seatbelts can go, which is half done already on my car due to the short bolts on the Sparco harness. What else can go on a street registered car?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Really the only thing you cant do on a street registered car is remove the glass (unless you can find a DOT legal lexan replacement) , everything else is kinda you're business... just dont fail emissions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I might be shot for saying this but a lot of the drag racing guys will take a hole saw (1" diameter to 4" diameter) and put holes in the interior pieces of sheet metal. Structural integrity might be compromised if not done carefully.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not drilling anything! :) I might rip out the back seat though.. Is there anything lightweight that I can replace the hole in the trunk with? If not, its not a big deal..

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Rear seat doesn't weigh much, it's mostly styrofoam. You can lift it with one hand easily.

Front seats, however, are friggin' heavy. If you were to replace them with non-adjustable race seats (Sparco Ultra, Recaro SPG, etc...) and use mounting brackets without sliders to adjust the seat distance from the pedals, you could probably save at least 50-75 lbs. Most of the weight is in the brackets, they're thick steel.

If you don't carry passengers, remove the seatbelts, (remember to be safe & legal, though) they weigh quite a bit too.

Stereo stuff (wiring too) weighs another 20lbs or so.

I'm assuming this is no longer a daily-driven car... If not, you might want to re-think how much you're willing to sacrifice in the name of speed. Just get better tires, that should help...

-scott-

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it is a daily driven car with never more than 1 passenger in it. I already have Kumho Ecsta 712s, so Im good on tires for a bit. If you take out the rear seats and belts, it takes off quite a bit of weight, and you could just cover it with sub carpet like someone suggested to me.

·
Registered
2ooo RS coupe
36 Posts
rims

consider replacing the rims with light ones -i.e. SSR competetion- very light. So far I replaced my hood with alum., switched to bumper beams (very light), got rid of my spare tires, and jack. I'm saving up for alum. rear trunk cover, and going on a diet for more weight reduction. :sunny:

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had another problem, when taking off my pulley covers, I dropped the little bracket that holds the alternators bolt near the intake manifold and cant get it out.. What should I do? Leave it there and just put a nut on that bolt?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Boy said:
Really the only thing you cant do on a street registered car is remove the glass (unless you can find a DOT legal lexan replacement) , everything else is kinda you're business... just dont fail emissions.
What about Lexan? Does anyone make lexan replacements for rear windows?

·
Registered
1993 FWD Impreza Racecar, 2002 WRX Donor car for the Racecar!
3,198 Posts
Quick WRX said:
What about Lexan? Does anyone make lexan replacements for rear windows?
You would have to have it custom made, but it is what alot of purpose built racecars based on car chasis have.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Joe- you may know this alrerady, but...

There is a steel plate in the glove compartment door, 3 or 4 pounds.
There is a dampner bolted onto the bottom center of the front crossmember, 8 or 12 pounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
often overlooked performance parts that shed punds as well...

Lightweight flywheel, mine is 16 lbs under stock (rotating intertia)
Wheels (roating inertia is vital)
Tires (again with the intertia stuff)
Suspension, TEIN type SS coilovers save 8 lbs

Sparco EVO's with competiion brackets bolted to the floor (no sliders) 35 lbs

Rear seat (2000 RS), 24 lbs w/ insulation and lap belts

straight through exhaust (no muffler);)

Chris.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts