1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Wanted to pick your brains here. What should I go with:

The Weapon R dragon or modify the Cobb.

I have 99 rs and am running out of options and want an intake that will work well.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Hey,

Send them both e-mails regarding how much hp their intakes will give and if they are CARB approved. Or you can search Cobb's forum to see if anyone has an answer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are they the same diameter?

The key is making sure that you have nearly the same amount of air at instant throttle opening as you would with the stock torque box on the throttlebody. This will keep your torque. Plus air velocity is important as well.

Personally I would modify the Cobb.

To keep it cheap, I went with attaching a 3" id ABS elbow on my stock torque box. I picked up 5mph on the on-ramp near my house and it's up hill. I have done this on-ramp hundreds of times and could only get to 80mph before the solid line ended. Now I am able to get to 85mph easily. The off idle torque is great and mid throttle response is beautiful. Definitely picked up more top end too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I basically just want to be able to buy something and bolt it on instead of having to modify everything. Is the Weapon R going to allow me to do this or is there something else that will work like this. I am not real confident in modifying these intakes since I have never worked on them before.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I love my Weapon-R. I've added a cold air duct to it as well and some heat shielding but for the average user its right out of the box fun :). I do recommend getting a stronger MAF brace.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
the weapon R is bad news for the MAF...

·
Registered
2013 GTR
702 Posts
In my mind i always thought the Weapon R intakes are the worst ones you can buy for our car. When i was doin research on intakes when i was buying mine a looong time ago....it seems that a handful people have problems with this..

Cobb is argubly the best intake for our car. Very good gains, no low end torque lost, no cel, no damage to your car.

I recommend the cobb..

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
dRu 888 said:
Cobb is argubly the best intake for our car. Very good gains, no low end torque lost, no cel, no damage to your car.

I recommend the cobb..
i can't promise no cel, i get them from time to time, but they fix themselves...

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
DanzBorin said:
the weapon R is bad news for the MAF...
I've never blown a MAF with the Weapon-R (and that's in over 2.5 years!). The only MAF issues I've had are with a custom intake many moons ago. The problem I suspect is the crap bracket that Weapon-R sends you with the kit. My thoughts are that most people don't realize that it will brake in short order and didn't catch their rattling MAF in time. When properly oiled and braced, the Weapon-R is a great intake.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Boy said:
I've never blown a MAF with the Weapon-R (and that's in over 2.5 years!). The only MAF issues I've had are with a custom intake many moons ago. The problem I suspect is the crap bracket that Weapon-R sends you with the kit. My thoughts are that most people don't realize that it will brake in short order and didn't catch their rattling MAF in time. When properly oiled and braced, the Weapon-R is a great intake.
not sure, but i've heard that the foam filter needs to be oiled way too often and can fall of...

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Foam should be oiled as frequently as cotton gauze (unless you live in a really dusty place). As for it falling off, that just sounds like someone forgot to tighten the hose clamp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
do the MY99's have that silly '2nd airbox' right before the throttle body?

if they do, then disregard this...but on the MAF cars that don't have the 2nd airbox, the stock intake works the best by far. i took off my JC sports intake, the stock piece back on, and not only regained my slight low end loss, but also made MORE top end power. also, this was with a fairly dirty OEM filter vs. a clean K&N. we found out the older cars tend to run much richer once the breathing is opened up, hence the drop in HP.

but if you've got the dual airbox mess under the hood, ANYTHING will wotk better than that. before i bought a weapon*R, i would look for a used JCS or rallispec, since then you'll have the benefit of 3" piping, a decent filter, and a sturdy MAF bracket.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Re: RalliTEK has Intakes

RalliTek said:
RalliTEK has intakes for $99 , better quality than Weapon R(we sell both) , should work well for you.

RalliTEK Performance
Where? I just went on the sight and only saw the cf airbox and Weapon R intakes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts