Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Brighton Green
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do a timing belt on my 1.8 and was wondering what water pump and thermostat anyone would recommend running. I don't want to end up with some cheap parts that will need to be replaced shortly after I install them.

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
no reason to change it unless it binds up when it spins, or leaks somehow (highly unlikely). the thermostat is the important part and you dont have to remove anything from the car to replace it (except drain the coolant)

if you are going to replace things, get:
any water pump (its not a race car...)
OEM timing belt (or Gates)
OEM thermostat
OEM tensioner (costs $$$)
any idlers (theres only like 1 brand that makes them and they also supply OEM)
random OEM rubber parts and seals and grommets etc

·
Premium Member
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
My wife has 180k on hers and never a problem.

I also never changed any of the timing components either. Just the timing belt, seals and rtv sealant for the oil pump.

I say that changing it is a waste because ive never read of one going bad unless your having over heating problems and it diagnosed as that or it was an aftermarket replacement that wnt bad.

I also say oem for all gaskets especially oil seals. Pricey but failure rate is really low.

·
Premium Member
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
no reason to change it unless it binds up when it spins, or leaks somehow (highly unlikely). the thermostat is the important part and you dont have to remove anything from the car to replace it (except drain the coolant)
Actually you have to unbolt the elbow from the block.

Dont for get the.gasket for it too.

As far as oem or aftermarket for water pump if you do change it. Do you really want to take the chance of having to do it over again if it fails.

·
Registered
96 Brighton Green
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

if you are going to replace things, get:
any water pump (its not a race car...)
OEM timing belt (or Gates)
OEM thermostat
OEM tensioner (costs $$$)
any idlers (theres only like 1 brand that makes them and they also supply OEM)
random OEM rubber parts and seals and grommets etc
As far as tensioner goes do you think the Gates kit is well equiped?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.