Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently pulled the dash on my 2001 RS so I could get my wiring harness out. It had been raining a lot and I found water is leaking into the dash where the bottom of the windshield meets the firewall somewhere.

Does anyone have any ideas on where this could be coming from? Blocked drain or is it actually leaking in from the windshield seal maybe?

Any ideas are weclome. Water was pooling up on the little ledge of sheet metal just under the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
It's from the window glass sealant, means they didn't do a great job at installing it.

Or... One of the sunroof drain tubes came loose and water is pooling there.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
Pull your headliner. I had water coming down my A pillar, it turned out my sunroof drainage tray had rusted through. I had a spare as a a replacement, so I had the spare cleaned up and re-powdercoated and put it back together

-Vu

·
Registered
1998 JDM Impreza STi v4 GF8
58 Posts
I just recently pulled the dash on my 2001 RS so I could get my wiring harness out. It had been raining a lot and I found water is leaking into the dash where the bottom of the windshield meets the firewall somewhere.
Hopefully you don't find what I did on a non-Subaru of mine. Water had been slowly leaking into the cab somewhere under the dash of this car for years. I removed the windshield (after an unfortunate experience with a large falling tree limb:rolleyes:) and discovered that the metal frame under the windshield had been rusting away for years due to a previously poorly done windshield installation. It was salvageable, but I'm actually surprised the water hadn't been pouring in.
Or... One of the sunroof drain tubes came loose and water is pooling there.
I hope it's okay to ask this question in this particular thread (as it's sort of on topic), but I have a question about drain tubes. My '98 JDM GF8 has no sunroof, but I discovered (four years ago when I bought the car) what appeared to be a drain tube in the back, with a drain outlet located in the lower right corner of the wagon. (I don't believe there was a drain tube on the other side of the car.) In my picture below, this is how I found it, with the drain tube disconnected from the drain outlet. If you look closely, you can see evidence of fine particles of dirt, presumably carried there by water. Where would this water be coming from, again keeping in mind that the car has no sunroof?

Before reinstalling the interior body panels, I rotated the drain outlet to point straight up, and reinserted the drain tube... just in case it's supposed to be functional.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
Vancouver98STI, that is the drain tube for a power antenna. If your car doesn't have one, I'm not sure why it's included. But yes, that's what the sunroof ones look like as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts