Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else as obsessed as I am with washing their Impreza?
I can't stand a dirty car so I'm practically washing it every day. I even go out in the morning and shammy off the dew in the morning before I go to work. Does anyone else do this or am I just weird?

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Yep, you're weird. ;)

I haven't waxed mine since last Fall, and it currently is covered in grime and bird poop.

:run: Don't hurt me.

Heh.

I'll be giving the car a good hardshell wax in a week or so. In the warm months I'm very good about keeping it clean, it's just that this year I'm living in a city, so it gets crapped up faster, and I'm not picky enough to bother paying to wash it once a week. At home in NH I'd just use a hose.

-S2-

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
I try to wash it once in a while, but it gets dirty pretty quick, espesially when I am traveling at a crazy silly rate on a dirt road. But if tastfully done, car can look beautiful when covered in mud.

:cool:

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
yea the way i look at it if its clean the keep it really clean but if it is drity i get it really dirty:biggest:

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
I'm pretty anal about keeping my car clean as well though the water police are gonna come knocking on my door one of these days for using the water. Just waxed her with Zaino Bros Wax and it's meticulous, now if only I has a garage!

Nick C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey squeebs good job about keeing your car clean i am just like i wash my rs at least eveyrday i am alwasy cleaning my car and vacuming evry time i wash my car i spend at least 2 hours or more on it i hate dirty cars espically when its my car thats dirty soe people say i am nuts i just say i m obsessed

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are obsessed, then so am I. I have been washing my car every 4 or 5 days, and using the California duster on it almost everyday. It just looks so sexy when its shiny. Or when its really really dirty, but that doesnt happen to often. :burnout:

·
Registered
45 Posts
since we're on the subject of washing our RS's, have any of you had experience in cleaning the engine and engine bay? I've been wanting to do this for awhile because it's really dirty from dirt roads :)

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T
3,211 Posts
This is the way I look at it.

The beauty about our cars is they look good either way! Immaculate sparkling clean! or Real dirty, rally style! :biggest:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wash it everyday? Uh nope. I hand wash it once a week and wax it once a month (when I am in the US) but I will stop on during the week and at least use a pressure washer to knock some of the crap off of it. If I have to drive through road construction I end up hand washing it to make sure none of that road tar crap is left on the car.

·
Registered
2.5 RS
169 Posts
I was real picky about washing my car and having anything in the back. Now the back is full of crap from when i put my speakers in and the car is dirty as hell. The only other time when it is clean is when it rains outside. What really gets me though is the brake dust on the wheels. I hate that. I should go wash it right now, how cares if it's 11pm.

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
When it comes to keeping my RS clean, I am obsessed! I keep a california duster in the trunk. When I get home after driving all day, i dust the car off and spray it with Meguiars Quik Detailer. When I wash my car, its more like detailing it! I spend a good 6-8hrs when I wash my car, but its worth it :D

Keith

·
Registered
2.5 RS
169 Posts
well I decied not to wash my car at 11pm I washed it at 1am. I think I am gonna do that more often so I don't get any dried up water spots from the sun. :curse:
I hate water spots. Plus no one was there either.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Soob said:
since we're on the subject of washing our RS's, have any of you had experience in cleaning the engine and engine bay? I've been wanting to do this for awhile because it's really dirty from dirt roads :)
When I wash mine I just open the hood and spray er down. If it's a high pressure sprayer then I spray lightly but if it's just a regular hose then I go to town. The majority of the parts are sealed/protected so you can get away with it.

I squirt mine down ever time I was er. About every 2 weeks. Never had any problems. :D

Just don't use any soapy spray water or waxy stuff, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
great! thanks minx. I always wondered if there were any parts of the engine that I needed to cover up if I wanted to hose the thing down. Now to that dirt out! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
A good way to get the engine bay sparkly clean is with a dual spray from local parts stores called 'CD-2 engine cleaner and detailer.' My brother used it on my car last year and it looked even cleaner than off the showroom floor. Everyone who looked at it was really imprezzed at how well I keep my engine bay looking... took less than an hour...:rolleyes: What's wierd was that after we used it, the car felt a tad weaker for a day. Just follow the directions and you've got a clean-ass engine bay for about $7. FWIW, be on the safe side and cover your alternator up and make sure your spark plug wires are snug tight.

As for thinking it's alright when it rains on your car; rain nowadays collects lots of shit in the air due to pollution and other shit. I would play it safe and get a carwash right after a rainy day for the fact that rain has the same PH level as a nice warm cup of coffee. How do I know that? I read it in SCC some months ago...:p ...so take it as a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I wash my Ty at least once a week, the RS once a month. But the Ty is black, so it gets dirty really fast, where the RS is white and hides the road grime much better.

In fact, I washed my Ty tonight. :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I actually just did mine last Thursday, but I used engine degreaser. I covered the ignition module, MAF plug, alternator, and anything that looked like it wouldn't like water! I just followed the directions on the can, and went over any spots I missed or had covered with ArmorAll cleaning wipes afterwards. No problems whatsoever!:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
so what do you all use to cover up the various engine parts with? In my past cars, i'd just use plastic shopping bags, which worked out okay, i just had to make sure the engine was really REALLY cooled off.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I used a few grocery bags and plastic wrap. On the can, it said to run the engine until it was warm, not hot; about 5 minutes or so. I did that, then covered everything I thought could be damaged (I covered the coil, too-I forgot to mention it), sprayed the degreaser on, let it sit for about 15 minutes, hosed it off with about medium pressure, then ran the engine for about 30 minutes or so to dry everything. While the engine was running, I just wiped up the water in places that probably wouldn't dry on their own, such as the firewall, fenders, etc. I did this first thing in the morning, so the engine was completely cooled off before I started. I am going to have to do it again, but I talked to my uncle, and he said that if you've never done it before, expect to do it twice! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts