Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Obs White 2.2L 5MT
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished my custom intake. Cost me less than 20 bucks and took a couple hours to complete. Here are some pics of it completely finished.

WOOT!!! :D

Connected to torque box.

That tube that I have no clue what it is, connected to the block (I is thinking :eek:)

Connected to MAF

Snorkus gone. Waste of space, plastic and POWA!!!

Pic from inside wheel well.

Oh yes my roof rack is going going GONE!

If anyone has any questions about how I did it or what parts I used just ask me J, I’d be glad to help you guys out.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
PVC eh? You realize when PVC is heated it releases highly corrosive chemicals that eat aluminum components (such as, say, your entire engine) right? If you're going to be hack, at least use the right stuff (black ABS piping).

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
202 Posts
FalconRS said:
PVC eh? You realize when PVC is heated it releases highly corrosive chemicals that eat aluminum components (such as, say, your entire engine) right? If you're going to be hack, at least use the right stuff (black ABS piping).

+1
Bad enough it took him a "few" hours to attach a piece of pipe to his air box, but he used PVC to do it. Switch the pipe kid.

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
FalconRS said:
Thats why i stopped making my bongs out of PVC. You definitely should use a different pipe... Id still love to do a before and after dyno on this thing tho.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS Silverthorne
242 Posts
damnit i should have payed more attention in chemistry. i did the same thing ... at least i havent driven the car yet. anyone need 5' of PVC? lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
CaptainAwesome said:
Thats why i stopped making my bongs out of PVC. You definitely should use a different pipe... Id still love to do a before and after dyno on this thing tho.
haha, glass is the ONLY way to go. Metal is crap, plastic is crap, and yeah, Ive made pipes/bongs out of PVC when I was younger. haha. Thats funny.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Obs White 2.2L 5MT
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chazly413 said:
Ever heard of macro mode? Lol, it let's you focus on very close things, so I don't see the little specs of dirt on the sides of your engine bay instead of the object right in front of the camera.
No clue how to do anything except take pictures and host them. It's my sisters, sorry :\

·
Registered
2002 outback sport
198 Posts
did a similar thing back in the day, but i kept all the PVC in the fender so as to not get hot. removed the snorkel, took a 90* bend (male one end, female the other) and threaded it through the hole in the airbox, putting the male end through. the female end is big enough to not go through the hole, and covers it up nicely. then used a 1.5ish' piece in the fender down to the bumper vents.

doesnt get hot that way :)

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
CaptainAwesome said:
Your lungs are made of aluminum????

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
chazly413 said:
Ever heard of macro mode? Lol, it let's you focus on very close things, so I don't see the little specs of dirt on the sides of your engine bay instead of the object right in front of the camera.
Word...I completely forgot to put the camera in macro mode when I was working under the car so all pix were crap. :loser:

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS Silverthorne
242 Posts
update

Ditched the PVC and hacked up my AEM short ram for the piping. Only thing left to do is get some bigger diameter vaccuum hose and put it over the sharp edges [and if possible, integrate the strut tower bar back in... even tho it does NOTHING]. It's not pretty, but it was fun to make and its functional. Via butt dyno, its got more power all throughout the power band and definately more throttle response. I can hear the sucking noise a lil more from under the hood, but I've actually noticed the exhaust is louder now... interesting...., but hey watever it's all good. And since I reused the AEM filter and tubing, this thing only cost me ~$20 for materials.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts