Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add some extra WHP in my 03 2.5RS. I dont have a whole lot of money so going with an upgrade to a turbocharged or super charged engine is kinda out. I think the stock WHP is about 175 in the engine. I dunno in the wheels. What are some good upgrades that would get me the most WHP without spending a whole lot of money?:eek:rly:

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
I want to add some extra WHP in my 03 2.5RS. I dont have a whole lot of money so going with an upgrade to a turbocharged or super charged engine is kinda out. I think the stock WHP is about 175 in the engine. I dunno in the wheels. What are some good upgrades that would get me the most WHP without spending a whole lot of money?:eek:rly:
the best performance exhaust mod IMO that you will feel is going catless. other than that i would get cams for the best bang for buck. here are a bunch of theads about people wanting to "add/gain HP" just look around and see what you can find. a LW pulley and/or a LW flywheel will make you feel the power better. suspension mods are a great thing too. you wont gain alot from a 2.5 so i would just do simple I/H/E and call it a day with performance. you will love the car more if you did suspension mods too

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
yeah and output in stock form is about 140 something Whp, crank is 165 Whp and 167 FLBs
I have a Cobb Intake Borlas and a Tanabe cat back very pleased with the gains and when my suspension is done it should feel even nicer.
Then all the bolt ons go bye bye and a EJ255 or 257 goes in. Thinking about saving extra for the tranny out to Silver BBSsssssss'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the best performance exhaust mod IMO that you will feel is going catless. other than that i would get cams for the best bang for buck. here are a bunch of theads about people wanting to "add/gain HP" just look around and see what you can find. a LW pulley and/or a LW flywheel will make you feel the power better. suspension mods are a great thing too. you wont gain alot from a 2.5 so i would just do simple I/H/E and call it a day with performance. you will love the car more if you did suspension mods too

I reckon going catless would effect your low end? Am i correct to say that?

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
I reckon going catless would effect your low end? Am i correct to say that?
nope. i did borla replicas and trackpipe at the same time, and i got increased power everywhere. maybe the borlas made up for the loss in low end, but i doubt it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...I am new to the RS club and I can say now after buying a subaru. I dont think I would buy anything else. looking into the cams. I dont mean to sound like an amatuer even though I am but you said going catless? You mean take the catalyctic converter off or do you mean get a new catback exhaust?

These are my ideas to add some WHP and make it more fun.
1. Cold air intake
2. headers (probably borla or replicas)
3. new catback (dunno which size yet)
4. New cams...anyone know of any good cheap cams let me know

Thats about all I know. Anything else you guys can add let me know.
tnice17 you said suspension too. where can I find a good place for some nice cheap suspension?

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Thanks...I am new to the RS club and I can say now after buying a subaru. I dont think I would buy anything else. looking into the cams. I dont mean to sound like an amatuer even though I am but you said going catless? You mean take the catalyctic converter off or do you mean get a new catback exhaust?

These are my ideas to add some WHP and make it more fun.
1. Cold air intake
2. headers (probably borla or replicas)
3. new catback (dunno which size yet)
4. New cams...anyone know of any good cheap cams let me know

Thats about all I know. Anything else you guys can add let me know.
tnice17 you said suspension too. where can I find a good place for some nice cheap suspension?
Yeah take off the catalytic converter and replace it w/ a cat delete pipe. Suspension wise look in to something like an 18-20mm rear sway bar. Look in the classifieds under suspension, there are usually some good deals in there. This will make a huge difference. Defly get the borla reps. Cobb CAI is pretty good or injen. Front strut bar shoould also be on the list.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
light....weight...flywheel. You will never regret it.

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
PM SubaruRallyGuy for Delta Cams, they are the best on the performance/value on the market. Ask him anything, he knows his shit.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
This "cheap" word being thrown around is killing me. NOTHING IS CHEAP!

The gains you get from IHE are so negligible they are barely worth the effort.

But if you insist...

get EL headers. Borla makes UEL and the sound is better but the power is not. Go look up the complete OBX catback system. They should have an EL set that is made to work as a complete system.

Intake is still silly.

Cams in my experience are not low end torque friendly. Delta is the way to go.

In order to make all this stuff work you need a reflash. Thats where the real power of the system is brought out.

Chris

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
Intake is still silly.
Wrong.....for starting to tune any engine it is one of the most basic and simplest mods that can be done. It will raise the efficiency of the engine making the overall performance more benaficial to any other mod. It wont give a lot of power...BUT fuel mileage will be very very very noticable. Hell i did a K&N filter and i noticed a good 30-40kms increase a tank in the city.

Just like suspension you have to start with the basics....wheels and tires

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Wrong.....for starting to tune any engine it is one of the most basic and simplest mods that can be done. It will raise the efficiency of the engine making the overall performance more benaficial to any other mod. It wont give a lot of power...BUT fuel mileage will be very very very noticable. Hell i did a K&N filter and i noticed a good 30-40kms increase a tank in the city.

Just like suspension you have to start with the basics....wheels and tires

the OP is looking for power, not mileage. IIRC, the reason intakes do not add a significant amount of power is because the ECU "learns" around them. When the ECU is in the mode set from the factory, it is free to change values in the MAP to bring the performance back to a factory set mean level. Without changing this feature on the ECU or adding a standalone, light power mods such as this will have little to no effect.

To elaborate on my first post OP, the only power mod I permanently added to my car was a lightweight flywheel. It's probably one of the only N/A mods that brings a noticeable improvement in acceleration, especially in lower gears. It has the added benefit of making rev matching easier for the purpose of hell-toe downshifting. I had a short ram on my car for about a week before I took it off. Top end improved marginally, but my low end was shot.

My two cents, save up for an engine swap, which is actually the most hp increase per dollar of any mod, or get a lightened flywheel an concentrate on suspension.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
seems like everyone has a different opinion on what to do. My original list seemed like a good idea at first but now I dunno. I am looking to get to 200 WHP give or take. Not too much but a noticeable difference than my stock. I purchased the 032.5RS about a month ago. It is an automatic (would prefer a stick but its still fun). I looked into cams but they are real expensive, like around $600. Im looking for something to start me off under $150. Then save some more and add some more.

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
if you get the delta regrinds (talk to subaru rally guy on here or go to www.deltacams.com) it is only $93.50 per camshaft, so $187 total for you. I just ordered mine, and if you search the term delta cams you will get plenty of threads that talk about them.

For $150, I think all you could get is like a lightweight crankshaft pulley, or used trackpipe, used headers, or used CAI.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
This "cheap" word being thrown around is killing me. NOTHING IS CHEAP!

The gains you get from IHE are so negligible they are barely worth the effort.

But if you insist...

get EL headers. Borla makes UEL and the sound is better but the power is not. Go look up the complete OBX catback system. They should have an EL set that is made to work as a complete system.

Intake is still silly.

Cams in my experience are not low end torque friendly. Delta is the way to go.

In order to make all this stuff work you need a reflash. Thats where the real power of the system is brought out.

Chris
He's right. Nothing is Cheap, "Gotta Pay to Play". That statement was derived for a reason

Wrong.....
Actually, no he's not. If this was a crazy N/A motor, then yes. Although, this isn't a Honda. So honestly almost all engine mods on ours engines are pointless, will net you very little gains, and you'll wonder why in 3 years. Like jurzey said mods are mostly pointless without tuning after the application.

the OP is looking for power, not mileage. IIRC, the reason intakes do not add a significant amount of power is because the ECU "learns" around them. When the ECU is in the mode set from the factory, it is free to change values in the MAP to bring the performance back to a factory set mean level. Without changing this feature on the ECU or adding a standalone, light power mods such as this will have little to no effect.
To the best of my knowledge this is correct. ECU learns around it, making it virtually pointless. I was also pleasantly surprised by a LWF, additionally get a lightweight crank too. 2 very good mods that unleash power that was already there.

Truthfully, IMHO, if you're rolling on stock suspension and tires I would start there. Make what power your car does have make it to the ground and make it handle better. May not be what you want to hear, but it really is the best place to start. Worry about power later when you have money to relentlessly sling at the engine.

BTW WHP=wheel horsepower, CHP=crank horsepower. I saw a couple of HP terms being misconstrued throughout the thread.

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
i think the best bang/buck for suspension is a RSB. i got a used whiteline RSB for 50 bucks :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts