Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I recently got my first car, a used 45k mile 2012 premium 2.0i, around 2 month now, and I'm looking for doing some mods on it?

I'v did a lot research, and I know is very difficult to do changes on the engine/drivetrain side, so I'm not going to consider those stuff.

So you know, i want to make the outlook at least a little more closer to a wrx/sti hood/wing stuff, but I see that the part are not compatible, since the model are slightly different even in the same year i soppose?

It's kinda hard for me to search for the part for 2012 model, like most of the time, I'm not to sure if it's for the wrx model or base model.

As a first step I want to do is to make a exhaust change? the stuck doesn't really sound that great as my opinion? I kinda want to make it to a dual exhaust, and I suppose I need to do some change on the rear bumper?

For the exhaust, i'm on the point that i don't want something that is too loud? But on the other side on want some sound of the unequal length header as well.

So I want to hear some suggestions? I'm not really a fan of modding cars and not even quite know about subaru untill I bought this car. And after doing a lot research after driving this car for about 2 and 3 month, I'm really in to it, not to say that I had a chance to felt a catless strait pipe wrx recently at the dealer, that one was very very loud but It's really put me in to that love the sound of the unequal length boxer engine.

· Registered
112 Posts
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.
I'll be frank with you. You could spend a LOT of money on your car and it will NEVER get anywhere close to being a wrx.
Even if you managed to swap the engine and trans to one from a WRX or STI, you would have spent more money doing that versus trading your car in and buying a wrx or sti.

I'm not too familiar with what body parts will easily swap onto your car. I can't comment there.

Exhaust wise, you can get a catback exhaust but you're just making it louder for no particular reason. It will drone, especially with a cvt.
The only way to get the "boxer rumble" is to have an unequal length header. That is what would give you the sound you want, but I promise it will not be fun with a cvt.

I'm not here to rain on your parade, but it's probably not a good idea to do those mods. It won't be the same, and I don't think it will be close either.

Honestly, your car is probably very good at commuting. It's probably comfortable, gets good gas mileage, and is probably reliable.
For the love of God, don't mess that up.

-From the guy who has 6 project cars and not a single normal commuting type vehicle.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.
I'll be frank with you. You could spend a LOT of money on your car and it will NEVER get anywhere close to being a wrx.
Even if you managed to swap the engine and trans to one from a WRX or STI, you would have spent more money doing that versus trading your car in and buying a wrx or sti.

I'm not too familiar with what body parts will easily swap onto your car. I can't comment there.

Exhaust wise, you can get a catback exhaust but you're just making it louder for no particular reason. It will drone, especially with a cvt.
The only way to get the "boxer rumble" is to have an unequal length header. That is what would give you the sound you want, but I promise it will not be fun with a cvt.

I'm not here to rain on your parade, but it's probably not a good idea to do those mods. It won't be the same, and I don't think it will be close either.

Honestly, your car is probably very good at commuting. It's probably comfortable, gets good gas mileage, and is probably reliable.
For the love of God, don't mess that up.

-From the guy who has 6 project cars and not a single normal commuting type vehicle.
I suppose the stock header is unequal length? I'm currently having the stock exhaust, but maybe the muffler if doing so well? There is much sound as the "classic rumble" sound coming out, I was looking for the nameless 5 in muffler exhaust, but I can't really tell how loud it is? as the fact I want the sound but not that loud? And also, I'm not sure if the CVT model would have a sort of same sound as those youtube videos shows?
Or maybe is just a bad idea to do mods on this model?

· Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,095 Posts
Its one of those things. Subaru non-turbos don't make a lot of power with mods. If it makes you happy to have that boxer rumble, why not go for it?

Your car is newer than what this site is focused on (93-07), so if your next question is gonna be what specific brands and parts to buy, you might be a bit outta luck.

But having ran non-turbos for year, I recommend focusing on handling. Find compatible suspension and bigger sway bars, and quality tires and enjoy your ride!

· Registered
112 Posts
I suppose the stock header is unequal length? There is much sound as the "classic rumble" sound coming out, I was looking for the nameless 5 in muffler exhaust, but I can't really tell how loud it is? And also, I'm not sure if the CVT model would have a sort of same sound as those youtube videos shows?
Or maybe is just a bad idea to do mods on this model?
I would say the stock header on your car is probably equal length.
It may have an unequal length header but it definitely won't give you the same boxer rumble you hear from wrx/STI models.
You won't be able to fit the one froms the wrx/sti and make those work without using the same engine.

It's kind of hard to buy exhaust parts from watching youtube videos.
My tsudo catback did not sound the same and I have the exact same setup as what was in the video.
One would think it would be close.

Honestly, I think it would be better to buy an older wrx to have fun with.
In my 45 seconds of searching on facebook I found a few for $1500-$2500. They obviously need some work but that was for dirt cheap running and driving cars. You can spend more and get something better around $5000.

Putting an aftermarket exhaust on your car costs like $200 for a cheap exhaust if you do it yourself.
Could be $500 if you get a shop to install the same part on your car.
This is for no name random brands. Google what a borla exhaust costs for your car.

If you are handy and can work on cars, then it's a no brainer to get a 2002-2005 wrx and play with that.
If you are not, then you absolutely should not mess with the car that takes you to work.
If you can't afford to buy a second, fun car then you should definitely not mess with the car that takes you to work.
That is not a vehicle you learn on.

I'm not here to shatter your dreams of modifying cars.
Times are tough, I don't want to see you throw away a lot of money and still be unhappy.
I'm not challenging you, or calling you stupid, or anything like that.
I just know that there's a better alternative to modifying that car.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say the stock header on your car is probably equal length.
It may have an unequal length header but it definitely won't give you the same boxer rumble you hear from wrx/STI models.
You won't be able to fit the one froms the wrx/sti and make those work without using the same engine.

It's kind of hard to buy exhaust parts from watching youtube videos.
My tsudo catback did not sound the same and I have the exact same setup as what was in the video.
One would think it would be close.

Honestly, I think it would be better to buy an older wrx to have fun with.
In my 45 seconds of searching on facebook I found a few for $1500-$2500. They obviously need some work but that was for dirt cheap running and driving cars. You can spend more and get something better around $5000.

Putting an aftermarket exhaust on your car costs like $200 for a cheap exhaust if you do it yourself.
Could be $500 if you get a shop to install the same part on your car.
This is for no name random brands. Google what a borla exhaust costs for your car.

If you are handy and can work on cars, then it's a no brainer to get a 2002-2005 wrx and play with that.
If you are not, then you absolutely should not mess with the car that takes you to work.
If you can't afford to buy a second, fun car then you should definitely not mess with the car that takes you to work.
That is not a vehicle you learn on.

I'm not here to shatter your dreams of modifying cars.
Times are tough, I don't want to see you throw away a lot of money and still be unhappy.
I'm not challenging you, or calling you stupid, or anything like that.
I just know that there's a better alternative to modifying that car.
Got it! Thank you very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts