Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
1. Whats with this crush washer? I've never had one of those. Just on newer models? whatever, I'm fine without one.

2. I can't just slap on the oil filter? Won't it fill up when I turn the car on? I don't see the harm.

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
Always fill oil filter and oil gasket. The next place the oil goes after the filter is into the engine so you dont want no oil going there till the filter fills up they hold alot.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Everyone does it a little different. You don't have to fill it with oil before starting it, but some people do and some don't/ I personally do. I also don't use a washer because there was never one on there when I got the car.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1.my filter come with some kind of clear grease on the gasket(so no lube)
2.be sure to old gasket stay on the old fiter,
3.my filter also has a gasket holder so it never gets stuck to the block
4. DONT OVERTORQUE the drain plug or the filter, the drain plug only needs to crush the washer and thats it, the oil filter only needs 1-2 turns after the gasket has contacted the engine and that its( its not very fun to replace the oil pan or the oil filter block adapter:p )

i think te 2.5rs takes 4.5 qts if im tight and 4.7 if u got the oem water cooler, please coorect me if im wrong

do all ej series engines take the same amount of oil??? i know the acvs take allittle more and the spec C's as well take more, but im not sure about my 1.8 or my 2.2 closed deck same???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Concerning the need for the crush gasket on the oil drain plug, I have 3 Subarus and one needs the crush gasket to keep the the drain plug from leaking. It's a 1997. The other two are 1995 and 2002.

Also, it's quite possible and a lot more fun to change the oil without putting the car on jacks.

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
darn I was hoping it was a video of some one doing something stupid and destroying the bottom of the motor

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I always fill my filter before install too. It does absolutely NO harm, and can only be beneficial. So.. for the 30 seconds extra work, and the off chance it will prevent something strange happening.. I do it. Why not! There are NO reasons not to do it, and a handful of reasons TO do it. so.. do it! Heck.. even if it just happens to extend the life of your main bearings for 10K miles.. it's worth it.

P.S. I guarantee you that non of those quick-lube places pre-fill the filter. and I don't think there are many cars out there that have suffered greatly for it.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
yeah i dont remember a crush washer on my car, maybe i should get one

note: if you want to save time when pouring in the oil, hold the funnel so there is a slight gap between the outer diameter of the funnel and the inner diameter of the oil fill location ... this prevents a seal from forming which allows the oil to flow in faster

·
Registered
2001 RS sedan, 99 OBS, 02 LGT
629 Posts
When I worked at Jiffy Lube the only filters we had to pre-fill were for diesels. I also don't need a wrench to change my oil, I have a valve that I turn to drain the oil. It doesn't drain as fast, but it's simpler.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I dont understand why you would put clean oil in the filter and then put it in the car I mean the filter cleans the oil it has nothing to do with how fast the oil gets back to the bearings or gears its just a waste of 30 seconds and a better chance of spilling oil all over yourself and wasting your money.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I dont understand why you would put clean oil in the filter and then put it in the car I mean the filter cleans the oil it has nothing to do with how fast the oil gets back to the bearings or gears its just a waste of 30 seconds and a better chance of spilling oil all over yourself and wasting your money.

:wtf: You consider 30 seconds out of your life to be a waste for something you don't understand?

The key is, it helps the engine build oil pressure sooner. With only air in the filter, the pump is filling the filter and an air pocket for a brief period before pressure is being built in the engine. As a result, your engine is running with a brief lack of pressure. Note, the use of the word "Brief". So.. for 30 seconds of time, you can reduce this minor issue, and perhaps lengthen the life of your bearings. Now.. isn't that worth the minor effort?

Again.. doing this is NOT a critical step. People that do not do this, are not in jeopardy of killing their motors. It's just a trivial step that can only do good, and just MIGHT prevent harm.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
cant we all be friends ... just do it if you want to, i know im going to do it from now on cause it makes sense to me

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
If you really want to be anal...

1) fill the filter
2) disconnect power from the fuel pump
3) turn the engine over for 20 seconds to properly prime the oil system
4) check oil level
5) top off as necessary
6) turn engine over 10 seconds
7) reconnect power to fuel pump
8) start engine and go from there

The passenger side head is void of all oil at the first stage of changing things out. The fill tube is on the driver's side, and it heads directly to the sump after that. Only after the oil pump starts to circulate the oil will it reach the passenger side heads/cams and filter. That is why you fill the filter up (especially since it sits vertiacally beneath the engine) before you spin it on. I'll get half a quart in there before it fills to the brim.

·
Registered
MY99 OBS
1,690 Posts
When I worked at Jiffy Lube the only filters we had to pre-fill were for diesels. I also don't need a wrench to change my oil, I have a valve that I turn to drain the oil. It doesn't drain as fast, but it's simpler.
hello fellow jiffyluber:loser: ;), i don't ever remember pre-filling any oil filters or being instructed to do so while i worked there. I also have the drain valve, makes it so much easier/cleaner. I will give pre-filling but like half of the filter(gotta meet half way:p)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts