Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I decided to do something about the pile of stainless sitting in my living room collecting dust, so i installed the header yesterday at least. The rest need's to wait until the barn's rewired for the welder on our side. Pics aren't the greatest, forgot my camera at home so it's phone pics...

Before

During

After

Had to replace a stud with a bolt on the driver's side, but, NO MORE LEAKS! I can't wait to do the rest... the up-pipe flange is so warped, I had to cake on the orange seal stuff to make up the difference for now :jerkit:

BYAA!

Hard to say if and how much more power's been added, but things happen a bit sooner and faster now. Before it would kinda ooze up to 4 - 4.5 psi, and then eventually creep up to 5. Now it seems to snap up to 5 compared to before.

My friends said it finally sounds like a Suby. I'm not used to it yet and still think it's an exhaust leak somewhere :p

Oh, and special thanks to my friends for the help

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Tackled probably the biggest project to date on the car over the long weekend. Buddy never showed up for our ride, trapped at the shop, pulled an all nighter, sleep deprived, food deprived, everthing hurts... but the drive home was itself was worth it.

Got the car up on the hoist and removed the rusted, leaking and cracked up & down pipes. The setup that came with the car is a 'floating' design, in that the turbo's not bolted to the block. We've worked on other Subaru's with the turbo bolted to the back of the block, and felt the floating setup is less a pain so we stayed with it. It was also my friend's first real experience welding stainless, so it was quite the adventure for both of us.

Disconnecting the charge pipe and oil lines above, and dropping everything out in one piece took about only an hour in itself.

Not pretty, but got everything apart, and bye-bye (I hate) HKS wastegate! BYAA!

Original up pipe

Original down pipe, with 2 hollowed out cats... yes, 2 cats :rolleyes:

Underneath nudity

Turbo was fine, zero shaft play, spun very nicely. Only 1 bolt broke in the whole process, the upper most of the 5 downpipe bolts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The idea was to redo one pipe at a time. We first started on the up pipe thinking we'll line up the turbo where we want. But the one thing I'll never understand is the square flange for exhaust in. :rolleyes: Finding a spare piece of larger stainless that I didn't have, made a square-to-round adapting section.

But we could never get the up pipe to line up the turbo just right, and realize that despise the cracks and rust, the positioning of the turbo was actually quite ideal, so we stopped that and starting working backwards.

We mounted the turbo to the up pipe and installed it, and began work on the downpipe instead.

After taking and positioning each piece in and out a countless number of times, it started to take shape.

And after getting the hang of it more and more each time, started actually welding around each piece.

The downpipe got finished and used it to hold up the turbo, which let us finally get the up pipe sized up right and finished that.

Finally things were looking better and looking like an exhaust again

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Again improving on things and due to its smaller size, we decided to reposition the superior Tial wastegate on an angle (rather then straight up like the previous design) so that the wastegate could actually be serviceable. Crazy idea, I know, but I felt I might want to have actual access to it again in the future.

Another crazy idea was to use only 1 cat. Correction, cat simulant. This one's already been hollowed out as well. It's in there with flanges to give the impression of a normal, removable, replaceable cat for any possible AirCare/inspection purposes that could possibly arise.

And after about 30 hours straight or so of being trapped and having to work on the very vehicle to get us home, my friend said, let's finish it off since we have all the equipment out and the car in the air. We were gonna leave it for another day, but decided to finish the project off and make the open (BYAA!) dump pipe.

But on the way home, double checked the wastgate works, and the open dump even scared ME the first time! Let alone the people around me...

The biggest pain was that the braiding on the oil return line was fraid. I had to do an oil line haircut mod just to stop from being stabbed in the fingers trying to get it back on. I'm surprise I still have fingerprints left.

·
Registered
79 Posts
it probably sounds like this.

brrrraaaaaap

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TWTWITHWTIWTWITWTWTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8^)

just like mine.

how's it pull now? i have EXACTLY the same setup you had with the awful minnam d/p. it spools, but SLOWLY, and it's only gonna get worse when i add the FMIC.

and, what do you think about that nasty compressor housing?! way to ruin that with the 90 degree elbow welded on there. i've been real close to machining that off so that i can have more options.

--r

·
Registered
79 Posts
you run 2" on your setup?

turbo type header or an n/a style header?

just curious, as i've been bouncing some ideas around.

here's a thought, tho... necking the collector down to a 2" pipe isn't gonna raise velocity so much as introduce a restriction. i'm probably wrong, as i haven't done a lot of tinkering with pre-turbine exhaust as yet.

my minnam kit also has one of those tiny jcsports timic's in there. better than nothing, but plumbed poorly in general. i've been blaming that for most of my slow boost, since it has some funky angles to flow thru, which all introduce restrictions.

--r

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
it probably sounds like this.

brrrraaaaaap

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TWTWITHWTIWTWITWTWTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8^)

just like mine.

how's it pull now? i have EXACTLY the same setup you had with the awful minnam d/p. it spools, but SLOWLY, and it's only gonna get worse when i add the FMIC.

and, what do you think about that nasty compressor housing?! way to ruin that with the 90 degree elbow welded on there. i've been real close to machining that off so that i can have more options.

--r
It makes a bit of a rumble while driving around now, mainly cause of the header. With the new piping I noticed the tone got quieter and deeper. At idle the car's almost silent. All you can hear are the fans going, the injectors ticking, and a bit of rumble in the muffler.

When the wastegate opens though... sounds like my bros. small block when he ran open heads! haha I've described it as "Automotive vomit: The only good kind"

And you know what it doesn't sound like? A whole bunch of exhaust leaks, that's what.

In my case the header made an improvement with spool time and now more so with the exhaust piping and open dump. At full boost the engine revs up much quicker with those 3 changed. It's works so well, that I have to be more careful now cause I can get a bit of spring float in the wastegate and get 5.5 - 6 lbs which we haven't really tuned for.

Your... your downpipe's welded on? and it's just an elbow?

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
reason is spools slow is minnam uses a 2.5" uppipe. you really need to use a 2". It will make the turbo hit full boost almost 700rpm faster.
The header's 1" tubes going to what looks like a 2" collector. I decided to go with 2.25" up and down pipe tubing. My ultimate goal is to build the other engine I have for a nice 15 lbs, so this piping will still be adaquate for that.

The mid-section exhaust is still what the previous owner/Minam did. More 2.25" mild steel. I will be changing that later with 2.5" stainless piping. The muffler and its piping that came with the car is something called BMP? BPM? Never heard of it, but it's stainless with 3" tubing.

My goal is to eventually have a progressively increasing exahust piping, which I've been told is better for turbo but I haven't yet been explained how. So in the end I should have 1" to 2" to 2.25" to 2.5" to 3" piping.

·
Registered
79 Posts
no, sorry.

not d/p.

the 90 degree elbow on the compressor inlet... you know, most compressor inlets are straight in... yours and mine have the 90^ elbow welded to them, so that it has to be clocked in only one position.

i divorced/externally dumped my tial w/g last winter when i replaced the deltagateII. it was mounted backwards, with the exhaust flow BEHIND the valve, dumping into the w/g. was awkward and ugly, so i just cut off the recirc portion, TIG's a patch over the hole, and used the piece i cut off for an external dump.

it's my automatic hooptie exhaust mod now. make no mistake folks, externally dumped gates are LOUD!!!

mine starts cracking about 1psi in the lower gears, then i'll see 6 psi in 4th and 5th. i just picked up some tubing to plumb in an EBC to be controlled by my haltech ecu. 8^) hoping to fiddle with that some later this week. 8^)

really nice work, btw. loving it. keep it up.

--r

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
no, sorry.

not d/p.

the 90 degree elbow on the compressor inlet... you know, most compressor inlets are straight in... yours and mine have the 90^ elbow welded to them, so that it has to be clocked in only one position.

i divorced/externally dumped my tial w/g last winter when i replaced the deltagateII. it was mounted backwards, with the exhaust flow BEHIND the valve, dumping into the w/g. was awkward and ugly, so i just cut off the recirc portion, TIG's a patch over the hole, and used the piece i cut off for an external dump.

it's my automatic hooptie exhaust mod now. make no mistake folks, externally dumped gates are LOUD!!!

mine starts cracking about 1psi in the lower gears, then i'll see 6 psi in 4th and 5th. i just picked up some tubing to plumb in an EBC to be controlled by my haltech ecu. 8^) hoping to fiddle with that some later this week. 8^)

really nice work, btw. loving it. keep it up.

--r
Oh OK. My turbo still appears to be clock-able, which is actually something that will eventually need to be done as well, but everything still fit back in for the time being.

·
Registered
79 Posts
this is what i am talking about.

the compressor inlet, while still clockable, is fixed in relation to the outlet. it's fine, as long as you don't decide to change your inlet too much.

--r

41 - 60 of 168 Posts