Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Great work on the build so far. How do you like those Megan suspension components? I'll be refreshing the rear end on mine once I'm done with this swap. I've been debating just replacing the bushings with Group-N, or going aftermarket. The Megan lateral links and trailing arms look like copies of STI pinks. I noticed Hardrace makes versions that look identical, but come in both pillow ball and hardened rubber versions. Also, where are they manufactured? Thanks!
Hi Mailman,
Years and years ago, I needed engine/transmission mounts, and found the Megan Racing ones had the Group N/Subaru OEM part numbers stamped into them? And at half the price! Then years later when I wanted coilovers, I did my research and found people on this forum were very happy with Megan Racing again. And this time around, for my build's purpose Megan Racing was the best bang-for-the-buck. I got everything I could Megan Racing made for our cars, and the rest Whiteline (I like running as few different brands of stuff as possible).

I've been driving around and still having the learn the car again, but noticed I'm actually having a hard time finding the limit now where the tires will squeal :p From my experience Megan Racing's been top notch stuff. I highly recommend it.

Where I possibly wouldn't recommend it is if your racing at the level where sponsorship or prize money is at stake. But by that point you're probably already into the super-serious parts that aren't street-able at all anymore...

As to where they're made? Megan Racing has a US and Japanese site. When I ordered my parts, they all came from California. I'm hoping one of those 2 countries?

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Doing some cleanup, I found I still had about half a can left of supposed-to-match paint from way back. I noticed that my back bumper has been a bit beat up for quite some time now. With a few months insurance on it, and Phase 4 still being a few years away, I decided to sand down the damage as best I can and try and freshen it up a bit.

Not perfect, but better then before. Ironically I hate sanding and bodywork but actually enjoy painting. I classify it as: tolerable.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Phase 3: "Engine" has begun.

The first part I ordered came in. The whole point of the build is to safely add this spring into my wastegate. It'll be one of the last parts that get installed, so it will serve as motivation in the meantime.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
At the end of last summer my amp died. Of all the stereo shops in town, they all use the one repairman in town for this stuff. I guess there's not as much of a demand for aftermarket stereo as there used to.

Had it repaired over this past winter and worked fine til a few months ago when it died again. Brought it back to the same guy for a 2nd repair. That lasted maybe a month til it died again.

Brought it back for a 3rd repair and it only lasted a week :/ I said forget it, I've already invested in repairs about half what a new one would be. So, that's what I did!

Stayed with JBL, got another 5-channel - the Club-4505. It's about 3/4 the size of my old one, half the weight, 1/3 of the price of my old one (when it retailed as new) and nearly twice the power! This thing is loud!

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
122 Posts
Sweet trunk setup! I've got to do something with the giant homemade subwoofer box from 1999 that I have. I was thinking the rear quarter stealth install I've seen done here.

Yeah I've been wondering how long aftermarket stereo is going to hold out in today's economy. Most modern cars come with pretty good sound systems these days, and the dash is all integrated into ridiculous touch screen displays. There's not much of a reason to upgrade unless one is looking for very high end sound. My wife's Ascent has a damn good sound system stock.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Sweet trunk setup! I've got to do something with the giant homemade subwoofer box from 1999 that I have. I was thinking the rear quarter stealth install I've seen done here.

Yeah I've been wondering how long aftermarket stereo is going to hold out in today's economy. Most modern cars come with pretty good sound systems these days, and the dash is all integrated into ridiculous touch screen displays. There's not much of a reason to upgrade unless one is looking for very high end sound. My wife's Ascent has a damn good sound system stock.
Thank you sir!
I too thought of two 8" 's or possibly a 10" between the wheel wells and tail lights somehow off to the sides. What I went with was cause I ended up leaning toward simplicity and removability (in case I ever wanted). Although I know how to, and can, work with fibreglass, I really don't enjoy to - the smell, the hairy, sticky mess, etc. Though I could've made a setup like that removable as well I think.

Yes, it's not what it used to be. I feel the aftermarket stereo world isn't going anywhere (someone will always want something), but probably won't grow much either.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Bit of a throw back to Phase 1: I added some stick-on Rockville sound deadening to the inside of the trunk.

I didn't want to seal this up with coating cause I had a feeling it'd end up being a sloppy mess. Bought a kit for 2 doors and a trunk bu didn't use as much as I thought here. I quite a bit leftover for the doors. Probably do that over the winter...

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Another slight throwback to Phase 1: My g/f's been in marketing for over 20 years and has a hookup with a print shop. I designed, and they made for me, a little number plate on aluminum :p

Is it accurate? Sorta? lol I've been advised that Subaru's numbering in their VIN's was in randomized chunks/blocks of numbers - no real rhyme or reason to it. The 6120 is how many RS's were made that year. The last 4 of my VIN happens to be less then this :p

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
I would say "Phase 3: Engine" has begun!
I wanted an Aeromotive fuel pump again, and decided to install it now while everything else was still running, so if there's troubleshooting needed on the new engine, I know it wouldn't be this.

This is actually Vicky's 5th fuel pump :S The previous owner swapped out the original for the bolt-on turbo with one from a turbo Supra. He nearly mangled the sending unit to where it was unusable and had exposed wires in the gas tank. I'm surprised he didn't kill himself. I replaced it with an Aeromotive that was either defective or a knock-off back in the day. Left me stranded as she was my daily at the time and ran out and found an STI fuel pump on the shelf at a local parts store. This time I ordered it directly off of Aeromotive's site! lol

The instructions were very adamant that this lower vent be unobstructed. So I put a notch in the lower bump stop.

Didn't smell as bad as I remember :p I think it looks pretty good for something I won't see again...

After some priming she fired up and ran! Fuel pump works.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
The bulk of the smaller odds-n-ends are starting to arrive, that I can think of off the top of my head.

There's already 2 more that I've been made aware of, and there'll definitely be more I'm sure...

281 - 293 of 293 Posts