Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
261 - 280 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Got my rear swaybar back from coating.

Went with light grey cause it sorta matches my front sway bar now and was a colour that didn't cost any extra. I'm adding this to the pile that I'll have my shop do cause of the broken bolt and knackered threads in the frame.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Well, that was tedious. But the inside of one rear hub is coated.

One more to go...

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Other side's done too. For the 1st time in... 6 months? All 4 of Vicky's tires are back down on the ground.

All that's left for this phase is a handful of bushings that I'll get my shop to help with. In the meantime I have some odds and ends kicking around that I'll take care of too.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
513 Posts
Looks like it's coming together nicely, but unfortunately, I think you're going to have take a couple things back off.

The sway bar end link mounts (origami boxes) aren't installed properly. They go between the knuckle and the rear lateral link. The large hollow slips over the "tail" of the knuckle and the lateral link sandwiches it place. You do have them on the correct sides, the hole for the end link stud goes towards the top.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Looks like it's coming together nicely, but unfortunately, I think you're going to have take a couple things back off.

The sway bar end link mounts (origami boxes) aren't installed properly. They go between the knuckle and the rear lateral link. The large hollow slips over the "tail" of the knuckle and the lateral link sandwiches it place. You do have them on the correct sides, the hole for the end link stud goes towards the top.

Hi Rokket,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm having my shop put in the rear sway bar later, so if those brackets are in the wrong way, I'll have them swap it around. I'll give em the heads up this might be wrong.

When I went to put them in, I went by the picture/instructions provided by Megan Racing. I think I put them in right according to this?:
Rear Rear Lateral Arms for Subaru Impreza GC/GD - MRS-SU-0321

Maybe they've made their origami boxes differently?

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
513 Posts
I guess anything is possible, but my guess is that image is mislabeled. They are almost exact copies of the original STi component. Otherwise there really is nothing from keeping that mount from turning about the bolt. I found these installed pics on scoobynet of the Megan kit.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I guess anything is possible, but my guess is that image is mislabeled. They are almost exact copies of the original STi component. Otherwise there really is nothing from keeping that mount from turning about the bolt. I found these installed pics on scoobynet of the Megan kit.

Ah, OK. Thanks for that update. My shop's gotta help me with my sway bar install anyway. I'll let them know when it's time.

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Went for my first drive since I put the back end up in the air. Wow! It was nice!

There's no rear sway bar in right now, so I didn't want to push things too much and get surprised with the ass-end kicking out. But car actually feels smoother. I don't feel every bump or crack like I did before, but feels even more solid then before too. Must've had some tired bushings somewhere.

It's also pretty nice having brakes that don't have any issues! LOL Nothing's seized, pedal feels normal again, and even after braking fairly hard they're all only warm to the touch.

Really satisfying all that work truly paid off. Looking forward to finding the time to arrange with my shop to have the rest of em pressed in.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing my Hella horns.

I ordered these, over a year ago, and painted the cage to match about a year ago. Just never got around to it, but on the last few test drives I noticed the previous horns I had behind the grill were starting to sound like a large sea animal sending out its mating call to my sister-in-law.

I don't think I showed this last time, but got the previous horns to fit by zig-zagging their mounting brakets. The Hella's are even thinner, so I just re-used these.

They landed where I wanted them.

And they're actually not touching the grill this time like the last ones.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Been working on some lighting yesterday was my new "braker" LED brake lights seem to be working fine. No afterglow in the parking lights (yet) but I'm hanging onto the load balancers for that just in case.

The weirdness I'm encountering is the turn signals: I can't seem to run LED's in them. Doesn't matter which corner, doesn't matter if there's a load balancer on it or not, doesn't matter if I'm using an LED or regular flasher. They're just not lighting up? I touched the LED bulbs to the battery and they do light up.

I'm thinking there's something else in the system. Before my ownership the car came with a... Clifford? alarm with built-in turbo timer. The fender signals were converted to be on while the turbo timer was running after shutoff (I guess to visually tell if the car was still running?). I didn't care much for this feature and I believe I'm recalling quite of a bit of difficulty getting the side markers to work as turn signals again. The wiring done for that looked hokey and I never actually dug into it deep enough at the time; I just got them working and chalked it up to 'resolved'.

Oh well, those will remain filament bulbs I guess, so I ordered some "chrome dome" bulbs where the colour remains invisible in the clear lens until they turn on.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
113 Posts
I had a similar issue when installing LEDs in the corners and side markers The LEDs I got off Amazon had polarity and didn't have positive/negative marked. I flipped the bulb around and it started working.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Slight throw-back to Phase 1, made the detailing more pronounced on the rear seats - blend things in with the new front seats more.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
And something else I also always wanted to do for the interior, but skipped my mind lately. Now with Holy Shit handles in the roof all the way around (back pictured)

Found a full set from an 06 Impreza. The endcaps are slightly larger, otherwise direct bolt-in.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
I dropped her at the shop yesterday to have the last of the bushings pressed in, the rear sway bar bolt extracted & have it installed, and hand brake cables & shoes - so probably won't have any pics of any of it.

...and now that I see it, doesn't sound like very exciting pictures anyway :p

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Shop called me yesterday, they noticed that the bushings between the rear crossmember and body were gone! I didn't even know there were bushings there! haha Might explain the suspected extra driveline noise I heard, though I had no previous frame of reference.

Managed to find some poly ones by SuperPro. Ordered them yesterday and having them shipped straight to the shop.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
The bushings showed up at the shop Thursday. I asked them if it were the right ones. They said they haven't even had the chance to open the box :p But they'd said they'd call me if there was, or looked like there would be, an issue with them. So far I'll take the no news as good news.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Bit of a delay, but had the car back from the shop for almost a week now!

It was at the shop for a month and a half, but there was a 3 week delay in there. The SuperPro crossmember-to-body bushings that I had shipped to the shop were incorrect. They were twice the size of what was needed. Took about a week to get the right ones in their hands. Then, we had a heat wave for about a week that was so bad the gov't told people literally not work unless they had A/C. Then when that calmed down, it was still bloody hot, and people were flocking to the shop to get their A/C's fixed, so there was a 3rd week.

It was OK, I wasn't in a rush and for all the time she spent there and the work that was done, they only charged me 10 hours of labour! Apparently my rear sway bar frame bolts were a pain, the front control arm forward bushings were a pain, as were the diff-to-crossmember bushings. But otherwise no surprises. Turns out I didn't need new handbrake cables. My idiot brother either didn't adjust them properly or didn't lock in his adjustment last time. Oh well, saved some money and have new cables on hand.

Vicky's is a different car again! Not in a bad way, and not completely different. Get to learn her finer points again! She no longer slightly wanders on the highway. I used to get a second or so back-n-forth wiggle in the body when I came to a complete stop. I asked what shape those last bushings were in, and they said some were cracking but others they couldn't tell cause they had to pretty much destroy the old ones to get them out (faster and cheaper then to press out for inspection). She even shifts better between gears, no more shaking and lurching. There had to have been something wrong with one of those bushings for sure. I believe I had gotten use to the gradual wear that I didn't notice what shape the bushings were in nor how shaky she had become.

I'd take pictures but things really don't look like anything :p Next time I have the back end up and take some pics of the sway bar setup.

So that's it! Phase 2 is complete. Every arm and/or bushing that could be replaced was, and upgraded.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
113 Posts
Great work on the build so far. How do you like those Megan suspension components? I'll be refreshing the rear end on mine once I'm done with this swap. I've been debating just replacing the bushings with Group-N, or going aftermarket. The Megan lateral links and trailing arms look like copies of STI pinks. I noticed Hardrace makes versions that look identical, but come in both pillow ball and hardened rubber versions. Also, where are they manufactured? Thanks!

261 - 280 of 282 Posts