Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Shrouds just snap onto the top of the speaker. Not sure if I'm going to run them.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,907 Posts
<snip>

With the interior out, not that hard, but only this to show for it :p
Little flimzy tab for my fuel door thing broke.. like 10 years ago, but I never threw it away.. it's still bumbling around.
And the trunk thing doesn't open. I gotta open it with a key. LoL.. I love zipties

This might be the only item in my entire car which I never removed... or just never seen it naked

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Little flimzy tab for my fuel door thing broke.. like 10 years ago, but I never threw it away.. it's still bumbling around.
And the trunk thing doesn't open. I gotta open it with a key. LoL.. I love zipties
Super glue or plastic weld ;)
This might be the only item in my entire car which I never removed... or just never seen it naked
Ya, not the most impressive. I might paint mine with the cheapest, oldest paint I have lying around so that when I go to use spray glue I'm not spraying an absorbent sponge, and the glue will actually sit on top...

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,907 Posts
Super glue or plastic weld ;)

Ya, not the most impressive. I might paint mine with the cheapest, oldest paint I have lying around so that when I go to use spray glue I'm not spraying an absorbent sponge, and the glue will actually sit on top...
Oh snap. That's brilliant. Never crossed my mind in the past

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Did it in stages over a couple of weeks. The cabin's floor and the inside surfaces of the outer panels are all sealed up.

Combination of brush-on and spray can rubber coating (where I couldn't reach). Takes about a week to fully dry, then new carpet and put everything back. Next will be the trunk.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I painted the speaker shelf cover with the cheapest, oldest paint I have lying around so that when I go to use spray glue I'm not spraying an absorbent sponge, and the glue will actually sit on top.

The thing easily soaked up 2 and half cans of paint, but the spray glue sat on top for my new fabric to stick to.

I'm going to coat it with clear sealer before putting it back in.

Going a different route and replacing almost everything with blue denim. Found some that almost matches the paint code!

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Spoiled myself!

Sorry for the crappy, nighttime cell phone pic. Found a pair of 2016 BRZ (or are they FRS seats?) for sale locally. Bought em off some kid who didn't quite know what he had for a really good deal and they're in mint shape.

I've sat in some BRZ at new car shows over the years and it's like they're personally tailored to me. I find them ridiculously comfortable.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Last summer I went through a big phase of making (or trying to) my own tshirts, and found that Michael's carries these fabric paint in a pen.

Uchida Fabric Paint Marker

It's the same paint that printers use for tshirts. I've ran one shirt through the wash 4-5 times now that this stuff doesn't flinch. I think it's full out paint cause even their white marker will cover black fabric without any of the fabric's colour showing through (and it's JDM to boot :p )

These seats aren't hard, but tricky to find around here in the colour(s) I wanted. I don't feel like having them re-upholstered and didn't want to pass up the deal, which is why they're red when nothing else in my car is.

I have seat brackets on their way so with these markers I started on the 'shoulder panels' on one of the seats. One pen does both panels.

So far I'm happy how it turned out. I found it a bit harder to do then a tshirt cause i can lay a shirt on a hard surface, and these seats are a bit more squishy. So when I press in, I wouldn't be surprised if some paint's getting absorbed by the sponge underneath.

I'm letting it dry and think one more coat ought to do it. I picked up 2 more blue ones, should be enough, and black one to do the stitching.

I should have blue left over and will try and change the stitching on my steering wheel to match.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
Finished my denim carpet project yesterday, and let it sit in the sun all day today.

Earlier I took a torch to the original fibres of the carpet. Turned it into a big sheet of plastic already molded to the car that the denim could then stick to.

I've had worse projects, but this wasn't the funnest I've had either. Not sure if I'd do this again, maybe with similar looking carpet of some kind? Killed my dad's old ancient rivet gun in the process - have a new one of those now. Rivets should be hidden, if not I'll just touch em up.

I also unloaded 4 cans of this spray that's more robust then scotch guard, but doesn't dry hard like a clear coat and crack. Stays flexible. Vicky's a car that'll be driven "every other weekend" essentially, and I'm guessing about 95% of this will be covered by seats and floor mats anyway. I don't foresee an irritating amount of staining.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I wanted the matching dead pedal to my WRX pedals to I'm not rubbing the denim itself. The OEM WRX one I could only find for about $50, small and no real way to install on this.

Searching eBay I found a similar looking aluminum dead pedal intended for a Peugoet 206 (apparently) for $10. Bolted it straight to the carpet.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
And being that this denim has been tailored to the car, I sized it accordingly.

I hadn't sewn this much since my merit badge...

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Carpet's in.

The rivets that show will be touched up. And I think the original carpet may have slightly deformed or curled from the torching process - I probably held it longer in some spots. I had to stretch back into place a little bit. I put all the bolts back for stuff and I'll let it sit to see if it slowly molds back into it's place. I'm thinking some of the wrinkles are from that, see if those flatten out as well.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Almost forgot about this guy in the trunk!

I had already painted it once a long time ago, but the surface rust bubbled up real bad.

I called the dealer to ask how much a new one is, I was told $23 so told them to bring it in. I was about to put mine in recycling when they called back and said it's no longer available. Don't have a sandblaster, but with an angle grinder and wire wheel on a drill, got it to start working.

Got it all shiny again, primered it, and used more leftover supposed-to-match paint in a spray can.

I'll have to pull up that corner of the carpet again to install.

I forgot to also upload the ECU brackets I also cleaned up and supposed-to-paint matched them as well for added protection. They're already under the carpet.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts