Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS, Sedona Red
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok,

another thread about vibration! I put EBC Greenstuff pads on my car early this summer and they warped the shit out of my rotors(or so I thought). So I threw some EBC slotted rotors on and replaced the rear calipers/pads. I still need to replace the front calipers and pads all around...but I dont think that has anything to do with my problem.

The problem is speed-based, roughest around 65MPH on highways.
It is more rough during braking.
I CAN feel the vibration in the steering wheel.
The only way I can describe the way it feels is like...at high speeds it shakes the whole car 5-6Hz and at low speeds it feels like warped rotors hitting at different times. Almost as if the car is attempting to pick up one wheel and walk while I decelerate. Thats probably hard to imagine for most...but its the only way i can describe it.

So I pulled the tires off it today after checking the alignment (which seems fine, 1/8" toe-out on both front and rears) and started playing with the wheel assemblies.

if I crank the driver side wheel assembly left and right (as if the car were turning) there is a slight play...just enough to feel and make a light clunking noise. This is not present on the passenger side. When rotating the wheel assembly (as if the tire were spinning) there is approximately 3 degrees of rotational play (one rotor vent worth). Are either of those normal???

Finally, while driving - beginning at low speeds - there is a hum from the rear end. It almost sounds like studded tires but more steady...not clicky. What could be making a humming/rubbing noise in the rear?

I have to head back to school on Monday so I was hoping to pick up some parts and go nuts this weekend with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT#1

I just checked the front axles as well. The passenger side axle has some play in the transaxle-side connection(not the part that connects to the wheel assembly). It moves up, down, left or right about 1/8" to 3/16" when I pull on it in different directions. Does that seem like bad bearings? Even so, would that cause vibration at speed and uneven braking? Im getting so confused here!

EDIT#2

Well I just spent a few hours trying to re-thread my lug nuts and bolts. They somehow gauled like crazy when I took them off. Looks like Ill be adding lugs and nuts to my large list of things to purchase for my POS. I may not have the time to diagnose this problem and do the repairs before I go back to school so it may end up being a shop item. I stress too much over little things like this!

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
I guess I'll throw in my problem. It is now winter her in good ol northern Indiana. Snow+empty parking lot = lots of fun. Anywho, I noticed that after I got done playing, I have some vibration when I hit 50 mph. It feels like something uneven on the tires, like driving on a really bumpy road. There is no vibration in the steering wheel. I know sometimes this happens from excess snow/ice buildup, but its been a few days. any ideas?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS, Sedona Red
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll throw in my problem. It is now winter her in good ol northern Indiana. Snow+empty parking lot = lots of fun. Anywho, I noticed that after I got done playing, I have some vibration when I hit 50 mph. It feels like something uneven on the tires, like driving on a really bumpy road. There is no vibration in the steering wheel. I know sometimes this happens from excess snow/ice buildup, but its been a few days. any ideas?
Didnt expect to see this thread posted in again! That definitely sounds like snow buildup in the wheels. If you're sure they're clean then check for thrown weights. If you managed to rub a weight off the wheel it'll vibrate at higher speeds. If it's only noticeable at higher speeds then its unlikely that you bent a hub. How hard were you braking while driving? I doubt rinkies in a parking lot could warp your rotors considering I've done it tons of times with no problems. Start by checking for buildup in the wheels then check for weights. Let us know if the problem persists.

As an update to my original post, I have replaced the rear wheel bearings and struts on both sides, calipers, rotors and pads and the problem is still there! I sanded my brains out trying to get the mating surfaces for the rotors and spindles, and also the rotors and wheels clean to make sure there was no runout. I have no way to gauge this but I dont see how it could possibly be off with clean surfaces.

EBC was supposed to be sending me new rotors for the front to help diagnose the problem but I think I may have been shunned off by them, three weeks and no rotors when the originals took a week? We'll see.

The only things I can think of that could be causing this problem are warped rotors or a bent wheel. It seems like a bent wheel, bad enough to feel, would cause uneven tire wear which I could visibly see. The rotors are brand new but theres nothing saying they didnt get warped somewhere along the line.

What else can I do?! Haaaaaalp!

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
It might be a bent wheel. Two of my wheels were bent at one time and it caused a vibration like you are describing. The other time it was warped rotors. Check the inside part of the rim (facing the wheel well and struts), this was where both of my rear wheels were bent.

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
Will check, but I took a closer look and looks like snow and ice build up in my rear wheel wells. Probably will take it to get it washed to get it off. Will update if it still continues.

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
Didnt expect to see this thread posted in again! That definitely sounds like snow buildup in the wheels. If you're sure they're clean then check for thrown weights. If you managed to rub a weight off the wheel it'll vibrate at higher speeds. If it's only noticeable at higher speeds then its unlikely that you bent a hub. How hard were you braking while driving? I doubt rinkies in a parking lot could warp your rotors considering I've done it tons of times with no problems. Start by checking for buildup in the wheels then check for weights. Let us know if the problem persists.

As an update to my original post, I have replaced the rear wheel bearings and struts on both sides, calipers, rotors and pads and the problem is still there! I sanded my brains out trying to get the mating surfaces for the rotors and spindles, and also the rotors and wheels clean to make sure there was no runout. I have no way to gauge this but I dont see how it could possibly be off with clean surfaces.

EBC was supposed to be sending me new rotors for the front to help diagnose the problem but I think I may have been shunned off by them, three weeks and no rotors when the originals took a week? We'll see.

The only things I can think of that could be causing this problem are warped rotors or a bent wheel. It seems like a bent wheel, bad enough to feel, would cause uneven tire wear which I could visibly see. The rotors are brand new but theres nothing saying they didnt get warped somewhere along the line.

What else can I do?! Haaaaaalp!
Wow, thats a bit of a problem. I kinda had the same problem with my toyota camry before I got my RS. It was the hub nut in the front. I noticed grinding noise and vibration. I checked all over but couldn't figure out what was going on. I even took off the nut and pulled the hub off (Big mistake because the bearings spilled out like water) and put it back together, but noticed the hub was loose. I tried to tighten the nut, but it kept spinning. I bought a new nut and had the bearings replaced and the vibration stopped. From what you have done, sounds like that won;t be the case. That is really a head scratcher.

As for my car, the vibration is gone, it warmed up a bit and rained a bit so most of the snow/ice fell off.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS, Sedona Red
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thats a bit of a problem. I kinda had the same problem with my toyota camry before I got my RS. It was the hub nut in the front. I noticed grinding noise and vibration. I checked all over but couldn't figure out what was going on. I even took off the nut and pulled the hub off (Big mistake because the bearings spilled out like water) and put it back together, but noticed the hub was loose. I tried to tighten the nut, but it kept spinning. I bought a new nut and had the bearings replaced and the vibration stopped. From what you have done, sounds like that won;t be the case. That is really a head scratcher.

As for my car, the vibration is gone, it warmed up a bit and rained a bit so most of the snow/ice fell off.
Good to hear your problem is gone. I was sure that was it since it's happened to me so many times.

As far as my problem goes. Im to the point that I may return to the shop and have them figure it out. I can try to get the car into a bay at my college to check the runout on different components but its hard to find the time to do stuff like that being a full time student and all.

Its incredibly annoying to have to worry about hitting your brakes because you think they'll rattle themselves off the damn car. Ill figure it out eventually!

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
Full- Time student huh? I know how that is, I'm getting ready to finish up. But good-luck with your car. Like I said, kind of a head scratcher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts