Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
nice car

thats one of the cleanest rs's i've ever seen. looks like a wrx ver.5 replica!;)

BTW, what wing is that?

-Aaron:nuetron:

·
Registered
392 Posts
P1 Suspension?

How do you like your suspension? I was going to go talk with Mike Shields about getting a set. Any comments on them? Nice and clean rs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wing is a replica 22B adjustable that I did allot of work on the airfoil. It is aerodynamicly functional.

The P1 is a great suspension. I was not too concerned about the harshness of the ride when I selected it but it turned out to be fairly nice. It is a dual rate spring on the front so it is not jarring in normal driving but as soon as you load it, it firms up with little give. Nose dive under braking is gone and when Shields says that you can flip the wheel at 100 and know within 6 inches where the car will go he is not talking out his ass.

I had originaly intended to do a NA build so I put allot into the motor. The heads were done by Paeco and the passages are huge, the cam was also done by them. The rods, crank, and pistons also got done although I had to go back and do the pistons again when I went turbo. Right now I am yeilding a hair over 300HP at under 10PSI but the turbo is at it's max flow. Of course being a smaller turbo it spools instantly and I have boost ready under 2k. It really does feel like a larger NA engine.

The IC, uppipe, turbo and downpipe came from the JC Sports group buy. Since they didn't actually have the parts they were claiming to (long history on the group buy, it was fraud) the had to buy me the stuff from other vendors. They tried to rip me off but in the end they had to scramble and buy about 4k worth of stuff for the 2k payment.

Engine:
IHI Turbo W/ IC
Audi BOV
Boost controler
IC water spray
Vortech FMU
Hardened crank
Hardened rods
Forged pistons
Cam
Heads ported
Valves reworked
Oil squirters
Unorthadox Underdrive pulley
Cold air box
STI engine mounts

Tranny:
ISR clutch
Hardened syncro gear set

Exhaust:
Highflow cats
3in Open pipe to rear

Body:
Pink badge
22B carbon adjustable wing
22B vents
Clear corners

Suspension:
P1 Struts and springs (authentic)
20mm Rear sway bar
Speedline Soupertourismo wheels
Kumho 215-40-17

Misc:
J&S Safeguard
Apexi SAFC
EGT guage
Rich /lean meter
Boost guage
Hidden radar detector
Airhorn w/ 3 horns
2 Meter HAM radio

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other than machine work that I don't have a 1/4 million $ CNC machine to do, I do all my own work so the cost was all parts and not much labor.

I have never added up the totals, but let's say it is lots of both.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
I don't like the black graphics on the side or the gold rims. Looks good otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Piper,

How was Paeco's pricing? Where you happy with the quality of work? Also, what did they do with the cams?

COBB Tuning's pricsing on all head/motor/cam work seems very pricey so looking for a reasonable alternative.

Your response greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
MB

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a very good experience with them. I found their pricing to be closer to that of the mainstream V8 world where a port and polish is 1/4 expensive as a Subaru head job. They have one sweet cam setup. It can recut the cam and if material has to be added they can build up the lobe and machine it from there. The way I found out about them was through a friend who is a firefighter and had the responsibility of maintaining the dept. 1925 firetruck they used in parades and such. The engine was made by some french company that hasn't been in business since the 30's. The crank broke and the engine in general was shot. Paeco rebuilt the crank from the broken pieces and sent them the engine in better than new condition.

Now, warning and disclaimer. I have heard several complaints about them as well. A few people have claimed they ordered a performance clutch and recieved a stock RS clutch 3 months later. I can only tell you that my experience with their work was good but you should do some searches and ask anyone who had problems what the deal was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you send them your heads, or did you buy a new set of heads from them with the work already completed? Is that option even available?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I take it that you are not running the small Legacy RHB5 turbo, right? Do you know which turbo it is? I like your setup very much, especially all of your internal work, that must make for a lot less worry :happynow:.

I see that you are running a Synchro Gear set, would you mind telling from which manufacturer you bought it, and if you like, how much you paid?

VERY cool car!

Graham

1 - 18 of 18 Posts