Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 lSTi wagon.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i did a bit of searching and i can't find an exact answer. I have a 96 impreza wagon, with a v1 sti ej20g swap. revs to 7k. my cluster isn't working that well and i found this.

Subaru Impreza GC8 GF8 V3 93 97 Instrument Cluster JDM EJ20 WRX | eBay

The cluster, like my car, is cable driven. The middle bar looks like a DCCD readout which wouldn't work and I know it'll read in kph unless i get:

KPH to MPH Speedo Converters for Japanese Imports, Information

They have a cable speedo converter. which would make the kmh read mph (obviously)and now give me a 180mph speedo :)

is there anything i'd need to do? maybe lengthen the wires due to coolant temp and fuel gauge on opposite sides?

I think JDMGary just sold one for way cheaper, but i can wait lol

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
You don't have to lengthen any wires

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
-edited because the pinouts of the jdm clusters are slightly different, as mentioned my Sean. Apparently my euro cluster is plug and play with usdm, the previous cluster I was using was a usdm body with jdm internals. I was thinking it was the jdm body and board but was incorrect.

My bad, Sean.. you had it right.

·
Registered
93 L black
166 Posts
Not off the top of my head it was about a year ago. I recommend getting a factory wiring diagram and using the JDM one that's on northursilla.com and compare the two and start to label wires and see what needs to be moved whare and what needs splicing. For the most part everything was opposite of the US cluster if I recall correctly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 lSTi wagon.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do have to do some re pinning of wires as well as some splices but it can be done I have done it in my 93 which should be the same

went through your build thread ,you have a pic of 2 different clusters....in the pic for the steering wheel you have an 8k tach, and in the pic with the stock wheel you have a 7k tach.

·
Registered
96 lSTi wagon.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been through 3 JDM clusters I had a carbon v3 which I changed the tack to the 7k to match my 20g but when I went to the blue RA cluster I didn't want to use the black 7k tack with the blue speedo. So I guess I'll have to build a motor that will rev to 8 lol

lol ok, yeah i want the 7k tach for my 20g as well. what did you have to repin ?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
The only pinning I had to do for my euro cluster was because it had electronic speedometer so I had to make my own speed sensor setup with my 11 wrx transmission that has no place for sensor or cable. There is no speed sensor signal in the older usdm impreza that goes to the cluster, so I had to run a wire to it. If you search enough you will find the thread where I explain how to wire the electronic speedometer type cluster in so you can convert to a speed sensor at the tranny, and which sensor to use. I do realize you are using cable drive currently, just wanted to attempt to clarify things.

-you don't have to repin squat to swap the tachs between the 93-96 us/jap/euro clusters... you just remove the screws that hold them to the circuit board and swap them. Also, see below

The only issue you may have is swapping the the internal gauges back and forth, because the plastic display overlay of the gauge's edges are slightly different from lhd to rhd models. You can just trim the outer edges a little, the screws that mount the gauges to the board will align it enough so you can perfectly align it if needed.

·
Registered
96 lSTi wagon.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i'd be swapping the whole cluster. not gonna bother just swapping gauge faces. since mine is mechanical gauge and trans i'm gonna leave it that way. seems like it should be PNP. i think i'll try and scoop one for a deal soon

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
I stated it was plug and play when you first asked, but checked and found my original cluster body was usdm with jdm internals. I didn't use the jdm board originally. My current version is eudm with swapped gauges, electronic speedometer. Apparently the eudm model pinout is the same.

·
Registered
96 lSTi wagon.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stated it was plug and play when you first asked, for some reason it looked like seanfgy was saying repinning needed to be done:

Repinning would be necessary if you had different connector types. If they are the same connector types they will plug in and work. The main issue would be cable or electronic speedometer, if your car is electronic speedometer and you convert to cable cluster you will need to get your engine computer and cruise control unit the correct speed signal somehow. If you car is originally cable and you convert to electronic speedometer cluster, you will need to get a proper signal to the electronic speedometer to make it work. The other gauges in your cluster will work either way.

Maybe there is some Chinese or Middle east crazy cluster I'm unaware of because the jdm, eudm, and usdm clusters I've used with the same connectors have the same pinout from cable to cable or electronic to electronic. If you are cable and staying that way, there shouldn't be any problem.
awesome, thanks man I was inclined to believe you as well. but like you said soon as he mentioned repining i had to learn about that lol

thanks guys for the info. i'll be grabbing one soon:banana:

·
Registered
93 L black
166 Posts
That's crazy if you look at the diagrams the pin outs are completely different the location of each wire in the connectors are different. Tomorrow I will take my Ra cluster out of my 93 which I had to re pin in order to make work and install it in my wife's 96 wagon and see if it works correctly. I will be quite surprised if it works the way it should. But you never know.

·
Registered
96 lSTi wagon.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's crazy if you look at the diagrams the pin outs are completely different the location of each wire in the connectors are different. Tomorrow I will take my Ra cluster out of my 93 which I had to re pin in order to make work and install it in my wife's 96 wagon and see if it works correctly. I will be quite surprised if it works the way it should. But you never know.

post up and let me know! lol

·
Registered
93 L black
166 Posts
OK so I just got done swapping my JDM v3 cluster in to my wife's 96 wagon it is NOT plug and play I tried flipping the plugs around and still does not work correctly I even tried to go to the stock one back in my car with the modified harness and it still did not work hear are some pics

This is the stock 96 dash wires

This is the JDM cluster in the 96 with out modifying any thing just plugging it in the engine is running right now and you can see there is a bunch of lights that shouldn't be on the tach is not registering any thing nor do the turn signals work

Hear is a comparison of the two gauges the JDM is on the top the USDM is bottom you can clearly see the circuitry is different I have had 4 different JDM gauges to compare I've installed 3 of them thay all have the same circuitry. I had a wrx cluster from my front clip it looked the same but I never installed that one. I installed a v3 sti carbon fiber one, a v3 Ra one that was gray and this v3 Ra blue one hear which is a ra limited if I recall correctly.

Hear is a pic of my modified harness not that you can tell much from it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts