Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2001/1999 2.0 'RA' Coupe
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well took my suby in for a little work and found out that both the front wheel bearings and both front axles need replacing......kinda figured on the axles since the car had started clicking when turning recently.

my question is:

what wheel bearings and axles do i get? my 2001 Impreza coupe has a full 1999 JDM ver6 STi conversion (minus the RHD) so everything out to and including the hubs was changed over to the Ver6 STi stuff. so i am doubtful that the OEM 2.5 RS stuff will fit or even hold up (pushing 353awhp right now).

car is currently in the shop and so i would like to get my hands on the replacement parts as soon as i can.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
2001/1999 2.0 'RA' Coupe
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i found out some info. seems the 04 STi front and rear wheel bearings will work on the Ver6 STi non-abs hubs. soon as i know for sure if they do or do not i will post up.

as for the front axle it seems the 04 STi pieces will fit. again once i know for sure if they do or do not i will post up.

if anyone has any other info, or if my findings are incorrect please post up.

·
Registered
2001/1999 2.0 'RA' Coupe
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 04 USDM STi front drive axles do in fact fit! yes. the puzzle is coming together thanks to Will from wrxatlanta.com

·
Registered
2001/1999 2.0 'RA' Coupe
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the USDM 04 STi front drive axles and front wheel bearings have been installed and the car drives great. huge thanks to WJM again for helping me find the much needed replacement parts.

so if you have a ver5/6 front drivetrain and are in need of drive axle or wheel bearing replacements get ready to shell out some serious loot for those USDM 04 STi front drive axles.....450 each, but they are group n so they should withstand most anything you throw at them. the wheel bearings were a reasonable 80 each side for the bearing and the seals.

·
Registered
2001/1999 2.0 'RA' Coupe
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the 04 USDM STi front axles (GroupN axles) it was $450 for each one. pricey as hell but should stand up to my 353awhp and regular track days pretty easily.

believe the USDM 02-03 WRX front axles should fit as well. not 100% on, but the guy i asked (WJM on wrxatlanta.com and a suby tech) said either 04 USDM STi axles or the 02-03 WRX axles should work. i went with the 04 USDM STi axles since they are GroupN and can handle higher than stock power and being abused at a race track. pretty sure the 02-03 USDM WRX front axles would be a good bit cheaper.

·
Registered
05 Evo 8 SSL & 99 GC Coupe
1,257 Posts
I know this is old, but Thanx for the info! My Ver5 STi wheel bearings need to be replaced and I wasn't sure about which ones would work. Oh and BTW, I doubt prices have changed that much in 4 years, and mind you I'm not talking about "group N" front Axels, but you can buy 2004 STi front axels for $300 a pair. They will basically hold up to most builds. I'm not with paying $450 per Axel Lol that's ridiculous!

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
group n axles are not made for 5x100 cars, and are far, far more expensive than $450/side for the cars they are made for. There are also group n front hubs too but again, not for 5x100
cars

axle wise there are different axles for different production date STi, even within the 5x100 family, there are 3 different ones that were used. That being said, $300 a pair is way expensive for a pair

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Aren't the axles all the same for the Impreza for their respective years. Like a 2000 RS, uses the same axles are a 2000 L, OBS, WRX, STI, or whatever.

Also ya...Group N axles are hella expensive. We're talking over $2k a piece.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
group n axles are not made for 5x100 cars, and are far, far more expensive than $450/side for the cars they are made for. There are also group n front hubs too but again, not for 5x100
cars

axle wise there are different axles for different production date STi, even within the 5x100 family, there are 3 different ones that were used. That being said, $300 a pair is way expensive for a pair
I didn't say anything about 5x100. And also I didn't say anything about $450/side. He said They were $450 per Axle. Which sounds about right for 2010. The driveshaft shop sells Level 5 sets for $1k and those things are rated at 800whp.

Sent From My Nexus 7
Peep The RA Build RS25 Journal or Type-RA Journal

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
I didn't quote your post, but I was addressing you an revel together sorry for the confusion.

Revel mentioned 04 "group n" axles - there is no such thing, at least not anymore. The group n axles are still made are for 5x114 cars at a very high price ($2500 ish per pair, front and rears are offered). By per side I was referring to each individual axle. You can get standard axles for $150ish each ($300/pair)...we sell tons of em. I've had good luck with DSS axles on other cars, and awful luck with them on Subaru's. Can only speak for my own personal experience. If you keep away from drag style 5k rpm launches: stock axles work great

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I didn't quote your post, but I was addressing you an revel together sorry for the confusion.

Revel mentioned 04 "group n" axles - there is no such thing, at least not anymore. The group n axles are still made are for 5x114 cars at a very high price ($2500 ish per pair, front and rears are offered). By per side I was referring to each individual axle. You can get standard axles for $150ish each ($300/pair)...we sell tons of em. I've had good luck with DSS axles on other cars, and awful luck with them on Subaru's. Can only speak for my own personal experience. If you keep away from drag style 5k rpm launches: stock axles work great
Yeah I doubt that I would ever need anything other than stock with my current build. I'm not going over 400 and its my DD so I doubt there will be a lot of hard launches.
The reason I was on this thread is because the wheel bearings and rotors are shot on my Ver5 RA. I didn't know what to use, but the OP said that the 04 STi bearings work.
Rotors are next, I found some for the front, but in order to get all 4 new, I have to get DBA because they are the only company that makes rear rotors for the Ver5/6 STi RA with the 190mm handbrake. Or I can get a complete OEM set through JapanParts. com

Sent From My Nexus 7

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Yeah I doubt that I would ever need anything other than stock with my current build. I'm not going over 400 and its my DD so I doubt there will be a lot of hard launches.
The reason I was on this thread is because the wheel bearings and rotors are shot on my Ver5 RA. I didn't know what to use, but the OP said that the 04 STi bearings work.
Rotors are next, I found some for the front, but in order to get all 4 new, I have to get DBA because they are the only company that makes rear rotors for the Ver5/6 STi RA with the 190mm handbrake. Or I can get a complete OEM set through JapanParts. com

Sent From My Nexus 7
if you need a combo on the rotors/bearings, let us know

yep stock axles will be just fine

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
if you need a combo on the rotors/bearings, let us know

yep stock axles will be just fine
I got the bearings taken care of, I followed this guys word and ordered a set of front bearings for an 04 STi. Now I'm trying to figure out Rotors. Will the 04 STi front rotors work on my Ver5 RA as well?

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
I got the bearings taken care of, I followed this guys word and ordered a set of front bearings for an 04 STi. Now I'm trying to figure out Rotors. Will the 04 STi front rotors work on my Ver5 RA as well?
No, they are the same as 02-07 WRX front rotors.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No, they are the same as 02-07 WRX front rotors.
But aren't 04 STi Rotors the same as 02-07 WRX Rotors? Both are 5x100 so...??? It doesnt matter because I bought some rotors made for the Ver5/6 STi anyways, but just curious for future reference.

And speaking of rotors, if anyone is looking for Decent Cheap Rotors my guy at JDM Place has White box No Name rotors starting at $80 a pair for Blanks, and $145 a pair for Zinc coated & slotted! They also have Slotted/Cross drilled as well, along with Silver/Gold/Black Zinc Coated! Check them out...

Sent From My Nexus 7

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
04 STI rotors are not the same as 02-07 WRX rotors. 04 STI uses Brembos, not 4/2 pots. Brembro rotors are larger and thicker.

Also, I think you need a new brake guy if you're paying that price. For $80 you can get a pair is for a nice set of Centrics Premium rotors from Rock Auto. They'll be e-coated to prevent rust. I get free shipping from Rock Auto, not sure if normal stateside addresses do.

I just bought some rotors from KNSBrakes. DBA street series. Drilled, slotted, and have no idea what's the coating, but it's gold. $125 a pair. Now if the JDM Place is local and you can just pick it up there, then you'll at least save with shipping, but it'd probably end up just being even.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
04 STI rotors are not the same as 02-07 WRX rotors. 04 STI uses Brembos, not 4/2 pots. Brembro rotors are larger and thicker.

Also, I think you need a new brake guy if you're paying that price. For $80 you can get a pair is for a nice set of Centrics Premium rotors from Rock Auto. They'll be e-coated to prevent rust. I get free shipping from Rock Auto, not sure if normal stateside addresses do.

I just bought some rotors from KNSBrakes. DBA street series. Drilled, slotted, and have no idea what's the coating, but it's gold. $125 a pair. Now if the JDM Place is local and you can just pick it up there, then you'll at least save with shipping, but it'd probably end up just being even.
Haha.. I already bought the Rotors. $145 shipped to my door.
So many companies buy these Rotors and slap Thers own label on them.
Have you read my build thread? Money isn't really a problem. I'm not really looking for dirt cheap parts, I needed rotors ASAP to get my car off the lift. Its going to take a month for my DBA's to be delivered to my door. Have you ever tried buying rotors for a Ver5/6 Sti? Lol..its frustrating to say the least.

Sent From My Nexus 7

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I own a V6 WRX and buying OEM rotors wouldn't have been much an issue. For me at least. I just roll down to the local Dealership and get raped. Course the brake setup wasn't completely stock, when I bought the car. It was using GC 4 pots in the front and stockers in the rear.

I decided to just avoid it all and go 06/07 4/2 pots. The 4 pots in front were rusty as hell and the rear was pretty much the same.

If you bought the GD STI rotors, then the price your brake guy gives is alright then. If they are GD WRX, then the price isn't that good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts