Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

After doing what many young WRX swappers do (reference 93 WRX journal), I hunted on Craigslist for a specific vehicle: a 1996 Impreza Outback Sport. First off, wagons are awesome. Then, it's AWD, and is the only year and model that an Impreza wagon came with rear disc brakes from the factory. These are loaded with crap like power locks, windows, and mirrors, and funky acid trip interior.

To Do:
swap with 93 wrx everything, rhd and all :burnout:

The Red car is going to be stripped of everything on the front clip, then the Blue car will be stripped in the same fashion. A little bit of firewall modification here and there, and the Blue car will be reassembled into a 1993 rhd wrx wagon with a 1996 obs unibody.

This swap will be done in less time than my last one. Stay tuned while we harvest the Red car for all of its parts...

Attachments

·
Registered
01 RSTi RHD, 98 EJ205 GF8
3,470 Posts
how do you do a rhd conversion with out swapping firewalls?? Can't wait for this build to unfold.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same way I did it last time, read my 93 WRX Journal!

SO glad to have a wagon again, I missed having a Wagon every day I was driving the Sedan. Back to roots for me.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Haha, I haven't done anything to it. Red car is waiting for further teardown and then once everything is out of the red car, I'll strip the blue car next to it.

Karla, the blue car, is simply my daily driver, getting over 26mpg with ease. I <3 this wagon

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe because I can have it shipped to my sis in England, but probably not because it's just vinyl stickering. And I happen to be getting rather familiar with vinyl, so I would just DIY

This car gets between 25-26mpg, on 87oct, it's wonderful. But I still miss rhd rocketshipness.

Any suggestions as to a final color scheme for an old school GF8? I've been playing GT4 on my PS2 for inspiriation :screwy:

·
Registered
96 Acadia Green L
4 Posts
definitely following this! take more pics of the firewall cutting and welding if you can, im getting ready to do a rhd ej20 swap in the next couple months!

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I plan on documenting it well.

Cross-posting like a motherflower, here are the parts necessary in turning your LHD Impreza into a rhd WRX

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Things I really should be doing before moving everything from the red car to the blue car:
-timing belt
-water/oil pumps
-pulleys
-tensioner
-head gaskets and everything else
-new radiator and heater hoses
-make the engine clean and pretty
-make the engine bay clean and pretty
-new steering rack boots

then shit I don't need to do, but hey, let's just brainstorm:
-tubular exhaust manifold
-have turbo and wastegate rebuilt (nothing is wrong with it... AFAIK)
-jdm lightweight rear bumper beam
-get gauge'd up (boost/vac, oil pressure, water temp)

then when all that's done... drive it like a grandma.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts