Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what these vent covers are (illustrated in the picture below,) and where I can get a couple.
Anybody know?

Attachments

·
Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
(Btw: I did search, but since I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, it didn't help much.)

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,537 Posts
I got one off of eBay and put it on, but I don't like it much. I never got it painted, and the gel coat or whatever primer they put on the fiberglass has spread out on my hood, and the scoop itself has already cracked a little, and it's only about a year old. If you get one, look for polyurethane and not fiberglass. I know painting would have helped the primer spreading issue, but that wouldn't have kept it from cracking. Almost looks like someone pushed down on the middle of it, which may be the case, I don't know, can't watch my car 24-7.

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
HondaH8er said:
I got one off of eBay and put it on, but I don't like it much. I never got it painted, and the gel coat or whatever primer they put on the fiberglass has spread out on my hood, and the scoop itself has already cracked a little, and it's only about a year old. If you get one, look for polyurethane and not fiberglass. I know painting would have helped the primer spreading issue, but that wouldn't have kept it from cracking. Almost looks like someone pushed down on the middle of it, which may be the case, I don't know, can't watch my car 24-7.
What do you mean it spread out onto your hood? Can you post pics of this because I don't see how this is possible. If they used primer surfacer or a primer sealer there is no way that it could "spread out" or even if it had a clear on it because the clear cures and gets hard. I think maybe you got a bunk one of something.

·
13 Years of RS
5,537 Posts

You can see that white haze that's run from the scoop down the slope of the hood here. You can also see on the back of the scoop where the whatever-it-is has come off and exposed whatever is under it. I'm probably going to take that scoop off eventually and either put the stock vent back on, or get a different scoop. I didn't know tis one had the big STi logo on it when I bought it, either, and I've never like that. I was going to have it filled in and smoothed when it was painted, but I'm not going to bother with that now.

·
13 Years of RS
5,537 Posts
BrightonGC8 said:
Sounds more like dust than anything. did you clean it by anychance?

No, not dust, it's the white stuff on the scoop itself, it comes off. The car has been washed several times since I put it on, so, yeah, it has been cleaned. It will even come off on your finger if you touch it when it's wet.

·
13 Years of RS
5,537 Posts
BrightonGC8 said:
Take it off, wet sand it, and reprime it, that should stop it.

Or just take it off. With the turbo, I don't really need it, I'll just space the backing plate on the stock vent again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts