Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a head gasket replacement on a ej25 SOHC. Before i removed the heads i made sure all the timing marks were lined up. Once the heads were removed i checked to see if the valves were closed and they were. I loaded the heads in the car to take them into the machine shop. When i got to the shop i noticed that there was two exhaust valves and two intake valves were open on the passenger side head.
So my question is, is there a way of closing the valves while the head in on the work bench? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I am surprised they stayed open, usually they go to the path of least tension. You will just reset the timing per the service manual once you get to the point of putting the timing belt on. If you are replacing the belt there are marks on the new one for setting the timing.

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys. I will be checking the timing marks when i go to install timing belt.
If i put the sprocket back on i can use it to turn the cam to re-position the valves with out causing any damage is that correct?

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
just don't turn it while the valve side is resting on the bench. If you are turning just make sure nothing will interfere with the movement of the valves.

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. I will be checking the timing marks when i go to install timing belt.
If i put the sprocket back on i can use it to turn the cam to re-position the valves with out causing any damage is that correct?
just don't turn it while the valve side is resting on the bench. If you are turning just make sure nothing will interfere with the movement of the valves.
This. Place the head so that the valves face up or to the side and turn away ... I mean, it wouldn't be good to turn it a 1000 times without lubrication, but one or two turns, you're absolutely fine.

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This. Place the head so that the valves face up or to the side and turn away ... I mean, it wouldn't be good to turn it a 1000 times without lubrication, but one or two turns, you're absolutely fine.
Yeah i understand what your saying. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
99 rs coupe, black
44 Posts
so if you line up the timing marks on the crank and cams, all valves should be closed? because i lined all timing marks up an removed heads and there is 2 exhaust and 2 intake valves open just like you said. so i should obviously leave the crank in the right spot and then make the heads to where all valves are closed?

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would close the intake and exhaust valves while the heads are off to prevent damaging the valves. Once you put the head back on and before you install timing belt line up your timing marks on both heads and your crank. bam!! :banana:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I noticed the same thing and thought is hound put it back how I found it, I didn't close them when I put it back together. Is that bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts