Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car: 95 impreza with ej22 and dual port headers. Currently has 182,*** miles on the body with about 60k on the tranny and estimated 70k or 80k on the motor. The motor was replaced when my brother had it; since its been in my posession I would never describe it as "strong" and it is my first and only car since getting my licence (more than 5 years ago). The car did overheat due to busted radiatior and temp sensor that was never hooked up from halfass engine replacement.

Problem: Has been traced to a valve that is sticking due to a guide issue on cylinder #2. This is causing it to run okay at slower speeds on warmer days but will misfire pretty bad if pushed at all or exceeding 55mph, sometimes less if not warmed up for awhile.

Solutions: My mechanic who only works on Subarus has recommended that I simply buy a replacement drivers side head then would charge me like 4 or 5 hours labor to change it.

Opinions please: Sourcing a drivers side head that is dual port and halfway decent condition has been a task. I mainly have been looking on here and craigslist. If i do find one I still only have a 2.2 that lacks power and could potentially have more issues. I have no engine experience as engines kind of scare me with the high risk of messing something up. Im comfortable with everything else related to my car, suspension, brakes, body work, interior, replacing sensors, but never has attempted any work on the innards on the engine. I've thought about a phase 1 ej25 for a little more power. I dont mind spending a little more money if i can get more power and possibly a stronger engine. Basically is there any other route to take other than replacing the head or any other recommendations?

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
5 hours to swap ONE head? I'd find a new mechanic, or find someone local on here and buy them a case of beer to help you. Really not that difficult.

·
Registered
04 FXT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you, i'm really considering doing it myself. I dont mind my car being down for a few days if it needs to be. Everything iv seen just says it is time consuming. I have found some pretty good step by step instructions and im good at following directions lol. plus i can throw a few extra goodies on like a lw crank pulley with the money i save

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Valve guide sound like a poor DX are you sure the hg is not dead?

Do the fans never turn off once the car " warms up"?

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,000 Posts
wow, you could get a whole good running engine to just swap over in your driveway with some friend for like $500

·
Registered
04 FXT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm almost positive it is related to valves and not the hg as it doesn't overheat at all anymore. I fixed the gauge and checked my with computer to see that is was accurate with a steady temp. I wish I have more knowledge with engine swaps and a hoist. I thought that seemed a little high as well. Plus he seemed reluctant to do it. After talking to my brother and looking at the records I realized I grossly miscalculated the miles on the engine as they bought it used. It has closer to 130 or 140k miles on it.... So if I repair the valve this would be a good time for maintenance as is has about 80k since being installed. But the condition of the bottom end and other head still concern me.

·
Registered
04 FXT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After much searching I found this is referred to as a dropped valve guide. With the intermittent misfire under load. I will remove my headers to confirm if I can see the guide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts