Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i feel like this is has been spoken for already. for some reason i cant find what i want to hear but i do search. any way im contemplating building my phase 2 2.2 heads. im gonna get a delta grind and probably 2000. i want to run stiffer valve springs but dont know whats good and where to get them. what kind of springs have you guys run. i want to get to 6.5k safely and be able to reach 7k even though its pointless and i wont do that. also how much will all this stuff run my pockets. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I regularly spin my phase II EJ22 up to 7500 with no problems on stock stuff.

You don't need anything special.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I regularly spin my phase II EJ22 up to 7500 with no problems on stock stuff.

You don't need anything special.
:eek:mg: He's gonna have the 2.5 block with 2.2 heads, cams and some head porting/polishing. The motor will be fairly high compression. Wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry? I've heard valve float can become an issue past 7k rpms.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
You can get Crower valvesprings and retainers online for like $240. I think they are sold on eBay as well for around that price.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea boy. well i figure im building the motor for performance why not have it as safe as possible. of course i wont be beating the crap out of it but every now and then a shift at redline is fun. thanks for the input guys. and yea supers587 is a smart guy.:rolleyes:.....most of the time;). guess im gonna have to dig up a set. do you think i could use modifiied rs springs on my head??

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
^^^You're right.....they are the same. Phase II EJ22 anyway..... Cams have .030" more lift on the intake side of the EJ25. Exhaust side is the same....Valve duration and timing is slightly different though.

As for the revlimit......you can upgrade the springs if you WANT to.....I was only posting that you do not HAVE to. 7000rpm is not really all that high......

·
Anti-Nonsense
2004 2.5 RS, 1973 L48 Corvette
438 Posts
Tech Works Engineering has a kit for the EJ25 but if what Storm says is right you could use that no problem. Their valve spring kits run $258. You should be safe with those spinning to only 7000.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i could safely get to 7k with stock springs? i thought you get valve float on the stockers after about 6.2k. i really only want to go to 6.5 because thats the top of the power band, anything after is useless. i just want to be able to get to 7k safe with no problems only because i like the ease of mind that i can still go another 500rpms.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The OEM revlimit is purposely set at least 10-15% below what the springs are designed to see. There is a big cushion to avoid engine failure due to misshifts or other mistakes the general public could possibly perform in ignorance.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i wont float on oem springs. but considering my head has 174k now and will probably have at least 183k before i start to build, hence i need another dd to build my car now. so i would probably want to get fresh springs and well if you gotta replace it why not throw a little extra cash and get some performance out of it right

·
Anti-Nonsense
2004 2.5 RS, 1973 L48 Corvette
438 Posts
I dont know the exact specs of the Delta cams, but if it is a more aggressive lobe design than stock, you will be putting more wear on the springs themselves. Often times aftermarket cams for increased performance will utilize a lobe design that gets the valves open and closed as quick as possible in order to maximize flow within the given duration. Its not as gentle on the rest of the valvetrain. You mention above why not throw a little extra cash to get more performance, in addition to that you will get peace of mind that your shit isnt gonna break on you. There is something to be said for reliable performance.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
If you're replacing them, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade. I'm merely saying (for the 3rd time) that it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont know the exact specs of the Delta cams, but if it is a more aggressive lobe design than stock, you will be putting more wear on the springs themselves. Often times aftermarket cams for increased performance will utilize a lobe design that gets the valves open and closed as quick as possible in order to maximize flow within the given duration. Its not as gentle on the rest of the valvetrain. You mention above why not throw a little extra cash to get more performance, in addition to that you will get peace of mind that your shit isnt gonna break on you. There is something to be said for reliable performance.
exactly what i figured and is the main reason why i want to replace them. plus my springs already have 174k on the 2.2 heads the rs heads have 130k. id much rather be safe then sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts