Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
'99 OBS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I know this may not be the right place/site for this question, but I don't feel like putting up with the kiddie bullshit over at NASOC, so please bear with me.
I'm considering picking up a 2005 Saab 92x Aero as a rebuild project. Keep the hatin' to a minimum please....
Neither myself nor the owner has a good idea of what one of these is worth once the motor has gone south (spun bearing, imagine that...).

My last project was a '99 OBS for $500, and I put $300 into it and I'm back on the road happy as can be. I know the Saab should be worth more than that, but to my mind, not much more...My bluebook research on this car turns up a base value of 9-10k when it's in decent shape., Problem is I don't know how to equate that to my situation.

In my mind, this is a $3,000 car - tops. Am I crazy? Too high? Too low?

So what do you think a blown up, base model (5 speed, no bells & whistles) '05 92x/WRX is worth?

· General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
4,539 Posts
Well, if the engine is the only thing that's bad, 5k is probably a very good deal.

I doubt he'll let it go for 3, but hell, give it a shot.

· Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
2,025 Posts
According to KBB the value for Private sale of a 9-2x aero package @60000 miles is as follows 12,335 for excellent condition, 11,510 good, 10,360 fair.
I would say you should be able to get it for 7-8k.

· project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
4,042 Posts
Hating to a minimum? My dad has a 9-2x and we both love it.

I'd say 6k, and I'd definitely go for it. Screw an engine rebuild--STi swap it! You could have a total outlay of like 13k and have the bitchin'-est Saab ever.

· The Truth.
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
5,834 Posts
Depends on what you're looking at on KBB. If it's in good condition and the motor is blown, $5,000-$6,000 is a steal. Most wrecked STi's with running motors still run for $10,000-$12,000, and they aren't drivable. :p

· Registered
'99 OBS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow - thanks for all the input. I knew I was asking the right folks.
Ok, so it sounds like we've got a low end of 5k, and a high end of 7k or so.
As much as I'd love to pop an STI in there, I'm looking at this as a "fix it and sell it" opportunity. I doubt I'd ever drive it myself - too many hassles.
I'm perfectly happy with my little "fully paid off", 30mpg, OBS and the $40/month it costs to insure it.:D

What would one expect to pay for a basic EJ20T shortblock? I'm going to hit the classifieds and ebay, but I'd appreciate any guidance.

I've got a few other things that need to sell before I can move on this, but if I do, I'm sure I'll be here with more questions. Thanks again!

· Registered
94LSwagonswap OL WRX and
2,369 Posts
I do LOVE the 92x and i kick myself for not grabbing one when they were super cheap :mad:

Anyways to the topic at hand here. I think that $3000 is a fair offer being that the guy doesnt know what the value is either. I wouldnt pay anything over $4000 for it with a bum motor. Either way it is still worth it in the end bc these cars are something very special, to me at least, and are pretty rare in the scheme of things.

let us know how you make out!

· Registered
'99 OBS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for the sake of resale I'd go brand new shortblock
You bring up a good point. I'm not looking to screw anybody if I fix this thing up and sell it. But at the same time, I'm not interested in completely bulletproofing a car only to get beat up on the price and cut my profits.

I think it's fair to say that any car is purchased with the knowledge that things can, and do go wrong. Since I'm doing major surgery on the car, should I disclose this fact? I have no problem doing so - I trust my work enough to careen around a road course in my own rebuilt cars, and I'm all for full disclosure. What I'm not interested in is complications down the road if the replacement engine should fail (spun bearing maybe? :rolleyes:) and the new owner tries to come after me.

Am I getting paranoid?

· General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
4,539 Posts
You should not be paranoid at all. You're replacing a used engine with a used engine.

Most shops and even dealers get either used motors or rebuilt/reconditioned motors. Used car dealerships say what? AS-IS, you should do the same, or if someone really wants the car, and is really worried, give them a contract with warranty for 2-3 days max, provided engine damage is natural and is not from racing/abuse.

I wouldn't give lifetime warranty, at the same time I would disclose what work was done, and why. Also, I wouldn't lower the price, rather I would keep the price in the higher bracket due to new engine and 'now' lower miles.

Drive the car for 3000 miles, nothing happens by then, nothing will happened.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.