Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an RS that didnt run, i finally got it running, and it would run for a few seconds then stall out.

I pulled 3 codes, 1 for MAP sensor, and 2 for Atmosphere pressure sensor.

I replaced the MAP, and its still doing the same exact thing.

So now i think its a vacuum leak. How can i test this?

I noticed today that the car has a Throttle body spacer and that i cant see some of the gasket on the manifold side.... Would this be causing the car to stall out.

Smells like the car is running really rich..

The car stalls out right away when i let the clutch out in neutral.

heres a vid of the engine running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGPNPLsL6U

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one?!?!

Im going to take the TB spacer off today, and it would be nice if i knew a vacuum leak would effect the MAP system.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
Easiest way to check for a Vac leak is with a can of carb cleaner. Let the engine idle, and spray the carb cleaner all over the intake manifold/TB/lines & hoses/ etc. Anything that's attached to the intake side of the engine. If your idle jumps up while you're spraying in a certain area, that'll be where to start looking for the leak!

Sorry it took so long for anyone to reply man!

Edit: Is it still only running for a couple seconds at a time? That'll make my suggestion really f*ing hard to try! And yes, a failed MAP sensor *can* cause the problems you're experiencing.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Watching your video , the first thing that came to mind was not a vacuum leak. It was hard to tell in the video, but a vac leak would make it run pretty rough even for that short time before it dies. Can you keep it at or near 700rpm idle with the gas pedal, or by hand at the throttle body? And if so, does it run rough? or smooth? The reason I ask is the first thing that comes to my mind is the idle air valve.

A vacuum gauge is going to be your friend on this one. It can help to diagnose a few possible things. For example, if your vacuum bounces around a bit at say, 15-13 Hg as it dies, then it is very likely a vac leak. If your vac gauge reads a high vacuum as it dies (22Hg+) then it's likely something like your idle air valve, or even your fuel pump, or any other number of possible "die" reasons.

You might also try the FSM and look for any trouble shooting they suggest.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73249

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesnt seem to be a problem with fuel because if i hold the gas down it will run from 1500 and up RPMS.

But when i let the gas off the idle kinda revs up and down for a few seconds and as soon as it gets under 1500 RPMS it will bog real bad ans die...

Also no way to hold the idle at 700RPMS it will just stall...

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
i had this same exact issue last week....turns out, it was a dumbass oversight on my part. one of the hoses from the intake tube came off and i didnt notice it. it ran for the same amount of time yours did before it sputtered and stalled out. check all the hoses. maybe you did the same thing somehow

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked all the hoses and nothing seems disconnected...

Its my first RS tho, and i got it not running.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ill try to take some pictures.

I dont see why a vacuum leak would cause problems in a map system tho..

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Even though it's a MAP car, the TPS still has an impact. I'll bet the ECU is saying, WTF! What's with the meagre 14Hg of vacuum when the TPS shows the throttle is closed? That's just a guess though.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked for vacuum leaks, and couldn't find any.

Something interesting happened tho. I will post a new thread about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts