Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 1999 2.5RS with a v5 sti strut and shock kit allready installed. The car feels like it has very little travel and the very little travel ther is feels very stiff. when the car is raised in the air you can tell that there is alot of travel its just when there is weight on the tire it looks like it is compressed all the way.

i was wondering if this was normal for this kit? and, if not how could i fix it?

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
It's pretty normal, I'd say. It's very tight, if you press hard on the fenders. About 1" of gap in the front fender, maybe a little more, and in the rear I can barely fit my fingertips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my rear struts make a low pitched rattling noise when i slow down and come to a stop.

what can i do about this???? i put a good ammount of wd-40 on them and they still seem to make the noise.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT, 05 Forester X
114 Posts
I have v5 wagon struts/springs on my Impreza. The ride is stiff at slow speeds (under 20mph), but it eats up the bumps at higher speeds and handles with very minimal body roll. It feels super smooth on the freeway and expansion joints are absorbed like they are nothing. It is the downfalls/benefits of inverted struts. Tons of travel at speed, stiff ride going slow.

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
I suggest Jacking the car up and taking a look at the struts, or just stick your hand back there and see if there is a gap between the spring and the body of the car, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i checked under the car yesterday and the spring is where it is supposd to be, there are no issues with that, i think its just that the strus is sticking a little bit and every time i slow down and come to a stop it makes a little noise. its just a little straing that the noise doesnt occur when i'm at speed or accerlating.

i had a mechanic take a look at it and he couldent find the problem with the strut but he did say that the transmition bearingwas going bad on it, dose anyone have an idea how much it would cost me to fix that???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts