Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 WRX tranny just went out and I'm looking at options.
My friend has a V2 STI tranny that has a broken piece where the shifter fork goes. Can this tranny be used in the 04 WRX tranny casing? Can it be used at all, if so, how?

·
Registered
all the wagons
1,534 Posts
pretty sure your wrx is 3.9 ratio and the v2 sti is 4.11

would need the matching rear diff

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
It will bolt right onto your car - just need to fix it & get a 4.11 rear diff from a auto gd wrx or other Subaru.

The v2 trannys seem to hold up better than us- spec trannys.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Ya, just frankenstein that tranny. Move v2 internals to the 04, but keep the 04's LSD, which will maintain the FD ratio. Course the whole moving the internals around is probably gonna be a huge PITA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's just what I've been reading when I was looking at replacing my tranny.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, just frankenstein that tranny. Move v2 internals to the 04, but keep the 04's LSD, which will maintain the FD ratio. Course the whole moving the internals around is probably gonna be a huge PITA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's just what I've been reading when I was looking at replacing my tranny.
This is what we were thinking of doing since the casing off the v2 cannot be repaired. So we can just keep the 04 front diff and move everything over from the v2? Will everything fit?

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I thought phase 1 & phase 2 center diff's were not interchangeable with each other...

If the v2 output shaft will not fit into the wrx center diff a Frankenstein tranny will not work.

Never tried the hybrid but I have swapped center diff's / transfer housings.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
How about just swapping the ring and pinon to maintain the FD? You'd lose the LSD of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts