Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a v2 sti trans sitting in the garage and am in need of a new trans for my 2000 2.5 rs, seeing as it just went out.

would the internals of the v2 gearbox swap over to the rs case? just exploring options.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
easier to use the V2 case imho - there are some parts needed to run it in an RS case. You'll have as I recall 4 bolts holding it to the case vs 6 or 7 on an RS. I had this on my old car, never was a problem (stock RS trans proved routinely problematic, as did their clutches at the time)

check exactly which V2 it is to ensure its compatible with your RS rear...been too long I don't recall V1/V2 ratios.

You'll need new clutch, new slave, new clutch line assuming ratio wise its directly compatible

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is the 4.11 fd but it won't bolt up to my ej251... right? i mean the bolt hole pattern is different on the v2 than the trans in the rs, don't know if it's the same dimension wise.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
the cases all swap car to car, it's just newer cars (someone else probably knows when they added the extra bolts) have more bolts than olders. Physically it will fit. Like I said, my car ran a STi V3 transmission (case and all) with the standard RS engine. Then retained that transmission when I did my swap, which was an STi V4 RA

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
If the final drive matches the rear like you say, it will bolt up to your EJ251 along with any other EJ, EZ's and EG's as well. Your v2 (phase 1, 98 and older) only has 4 bellhousing bolts though, which is fine; I run the same setup with my phase 1 block and phase 2 trans. You'll need a new pull style clutch and flywheel (02-05 USDM WRX works) and if the trans doesn't have a slave cylinder, you'll need that too but you should be able reuse your RS master cylinder and clutch line.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
clutch line doesnt cross over since slave is on the opposite side of trans, so length is different. I dont remember if fittings are the same, but lengths are totally different (WRX is much shorter). Cheap enough, and a new clutch line is nice peace of mind anyway IMHO.

yep need clutch, flywheel (WRX...I ran the Exedy/STi stuff on my car), slave, clutch line. Can't recall if I used the master or not been too long

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
The complete gear set from the ver2 will fit into the rs case.

I just did this but instead it was rs gears into ver2 Case

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Hmm I wonder if the phase 1 slave differs from phase 2 because I used my RS clutch line. It is excessive in length but can be used in a pinch or on a budget; I just put a coil in the line and it's worked fine for the past 2+ years.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The complete gear set from the ver2 will fit into the rs case.

I just did this but instead it was rs gears into ver2 Case
so were there any major differences encountered then?

Thanks for all the info guy. well.... i have a clutch and flywheel to match the stock trans as well as a gasket kit for the transmission. what would be less involved/ the better option? leave it intact in the v2 case and get the necessary **** or swap the gear set since i already have most of what i need? i'm sort of in a bind and really need to wrap up this build asap.

just looking for opinions, i know its a subjective question

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Hmm I wonder if the phase 1 slave differs from phase 2 because I used my RS clutch line. It is excessive in length but can be used in a pinch or on a budget; I just put a coil in the line and it's worked fine for the past 2+ years.
that may be the difference then, the length

I dont have an RS clutch line here to look at, been a while since I had a batch made. But yeah it would def be about 2 x longer than needed assuming fittings match up

I'd personally leave it in the V2 case, because trans stuff and I just don't get along. If I were going to swap cases at that point I'd also want to tear it apart, freshen up synchro's and what not

you cant use an RS clutch with the STi transmission

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
If I were you, I'd swap the whole gear box and get a WRX clutch and flywheel but since you don't have the clutch and flywheel, go for swapping gear sets. It's pretty easy if you're confident, clean, and organized.

You can check the condition of the bearings and synchros while you're in there. When I tore down my type ra trans to figure out why it was whining, I found that my diff carrier bearings weren't preloaded allowing my diff to flop around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts