Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1993, L AWD, Aegean blue :)
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just picked up a 96 AWD 2.2L L model 5spd this past weekend.. Well there were some things wrong with it. First of all, 2nd gear seems to grind or its hard to get into sometimes, i heard that it might just be a synchro ring. Is there anything i can do? im not really experienced but yeah im willing to do stuff on my own. Second my passenger side CV boot is ripped and looks like it might have been for a while...so how hard are axles to replace?? will i need to do the front two or just ones fine??

thanks for any info

-jimmy

· Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
3,696 Posts
cv axles are somewhat simple and replacing one is fine. good diy thread on changind one out. as for second gear grinding, you can't really do much. a fluid change is about the only thing you can do to help short of getting another tranny.

· Registered
2001 RS 2.5
668 Posts
Axel is simple as this..

Remove center cap and try and break axle nut. Un-dent it against the lock with a screwdriver or tap. (if you are me you let the impact un-dent the nut)
Remove wheel
Remove 2 bolts from brake bracket
Remove both strut bolts (mark bottom one for position as controls your camber)
You may have to remove the long bolt holding the hub on... In the front I think you have to.
punch out axel pin (axle should slide out of trans side)
Axle should slide out of trans <- i am drunk
use hammer on other side of axel connected to hub (may needed to removed long bolt connecting hub to arm if not out of trans)

fix

reverse

disclaimer: im drunk.

Done

If you fix your boot (recommended) I think there is a diy for that.
If you can remove your center cap try and PB blast your axle nut and then spray behind it as it can get seized as well as the splines of the axle. My impact can shoot off the axle bolt w/o taking the dent out no probs but I have damaged an axle trying to hammer it out (8 year old hub from Japan... Totally mushroomed and had to dremel to get out of the hub.).... then some people have broken everything to get the axle nut off..... GL!

· Registered
2000 RS/WRX Stg 2
220 Posts
for your second gear grind, i would switch to a synthetic tranny fluid, or a cocktail. it wont fix it, but it will make it SLIGHTLY better. and be mindful of your shifts. give your synchros ime to engage. i know it sounds like stupid advise, but thats what we have to live with with the older subaru trannys.

· Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
2,071 Posts
yeah.. if you drain your tranny fluid.. screen it so you can see if any syncro mesh comes out.. as far as suby tras.. its a problem in its self.. they are a pain in the ass and are made of glass.. new and old..lol.. its $$ to replace and you need special tools that suby doesnt like to just sell to anyone.. hopfully a good fluid change will help...

· Registered
1993, L AWD, Aegean blue :)
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so um i found out the cv boot has been torn for 2-3 months... should i just replace the whole axle?? how much do they go for and where is a good spot to get them at? im a newb so any help will be appreciated.

thanks
-jimmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.