Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't understand the clutch test- Won't any clutch be able to make the car move in 3rd gear and wouldn't a good clutch move it better than a bad one?
Steve

·
Registered
White 2000 Impreza OBS
78 Posts
its only the 2.5's that have the head problems right?? did i read that the 2.2's are pretty bullet proof? whats some common issues with them?

·
Registered
White 2000 Impreza OBS
78 Posts
I don't understand the clutch test- Won't any clutch be able to make the car move in 3rd gear and wouldn't a good clutch move it better than a bad one?
Steve
with a bad clutch it won't move the car, it'll just kill it. a good clutch will move it without killing it.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1 Posts
i am going this weekend to possibly buy a 1995 with a 1999 engine w/AVO turbo kit on it. the known issues i know about this car is that it is "dieseling", gauges stopped working, a "pin" was left out when the transmission was replaced. but im not getting this car to drive long distances. only for a project and DD just to work and back. so im looking at a 10 mile round trip daily.

·
Registered
Phase I GC8
98 Posts
So you want to buy an used Subaru but dont know what to look for!
By Following the list below i hope to help you not get overcharged or shafted in any way.

d) When you test drive it make sure the temp gauge stays steady. If the compressed gas from the cylinder is being pushed into the coolant you will get random temp fluctiations and lots of bubbling in the overflow tank.

Chris

This is what my RS is doing. What does this mean? =/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. Trying to get a better understanding of pricing. It seems like a lot of people are asking over blue book on the car. I'm looking at buying a 98 RS2.5 Blue with gold wheels all stock with 104000 on the clock. The guy is asking 8800 which is over double KBB. I want to be fair in offering him a price too. Willing to pay a bit of a premium for being local. How much do you think this car is worth and what is a fair offer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, so I'm looking at a 98 rs 2.5 with 76,000 mi. the owner says the head gasket hasn't been replaced yet, i live with a mechanic in training with full access to just about any equipment i need including cheap parts and tools. i personally used to sell cars, so i know the basics of vehicle appraisal, but what should i look for with a 98 as far as head gasket issues and timing belt problems? probably looking closer this Sunday. thanks guys!

·
Registered
2008 LGT
1 Posts
this thread is gold. I am sick and tired of fixing my 08 LGT so I am in the market for an RS

Found an 01 RS with 83k on it, looking at it Monday

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Very useful thread, especially some of the earlier threads that talked about the specifics of what to look for.

I've posted similar threads on other sites (only for Subaru Impreza's in the 2001-2005 range), and if I see any new Tips & Tricks, I'll add them to this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to this, was inspired to get a Subaru by my friends 04 wrx, amazing we blue and loved how it drives, but I've been searching for a 2.5rs mainly, finally found one but thought I'd ask advice on it, I've gotten pics of it from the owner, haven't had a chance to go look at it in person yet, but when I do it will determine if I think it's worth it or not based on the helpful tips I read in this thread. It's a 2001 coupe, has over 100k mileage, and he's asking 7500 for it, could someone tell me if it's worth continuing with it or not?

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS, 2013 Legacy 3.6R
119 Posts
New to this, was inspired to get a Subaru by my friends 04 wrx, amazing we blue and loved how it drives, but I've been searching for a 2.5rs mainly, finally found one but thought I'd ask advice on it, I've gotten pics of it from the owner, haven't had a chance to go look at it in person yet, but when I do it will determine if I think it's worth it or not based on the helpful tips I read in this thread. It's a 2001 coupe, has over 100k mileage, and he's asking 7500 for it, could someone tell me if it's worth continuing with it or not?
The 98-01 2.5RS is becoming a car that is "worth" what a buyer is willing to pay. Does a 2001 2.5RS with over 100k miles "book" for $7,500? Absolutely not. Will someone come along and pay it eventually? Most likely. If it's a clean/never wrecked/never painted/up to date on all maintenance with RECORDS/RECEIPTS to prove it...it might be worth continuing. If it's a no on those items, you may want to wait until you find another example.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to add to things, I got a more accurate mileage, 125k, and thought I'd mention that the rs coupe I found is stock, and the only one I've found here in tx, besides the 2000 one that popped up on craigslist for a whole 2 days with only an email to contact them

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 89 Posts