Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have a question. If you are looking at a used subaru and the previous owner cannot specifically tell you that its had a head gasket done AND there is no signs of oil seepage etc is it still a ticking time bomb and essentially the car is going to cost 2k more?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Not true, I've got a friend with a 98 Legacy Outback he's owned the car since 40k it now has 260k he's had no leaks and he's on the head gasket from when he bought it.

If they cant prove if it has or hasn't been done its not a cheap affair, tell them that and try to talk them down from their asking price and go from there. I wouldn't do it right off but I would keep that in mind. One thing I'd be more worried about is a record of the timing belt, if they don't have documentation of that being done then I would be worried and that would be the first maintenance I'd do on the car along with a nice oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah timing belts seem common on most cars at either 60 or 90k intervals which is it on these cars?

I am selling my truck and some of the dirt toys to go car paymentless and think I might get a subie (always loved them). Want something that can DD I did the whole track car thing and don't want to push it that far again. Plus both Auto-X and Rally-X intrigue me but it still needs to be baby friendly. I personally like the GC's more than the newer subaru's maybe its the old school rallyness

·
Premium Member
1999 Impreza R.S (Turb0)
133 Posts
Excellent Advice.......thank u 4 taking the time out to do this.........saves al0t 0f new buyer al0t of money and time on repairs..........:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noob questions

Hey everyone this is my first post so bear with me. I've come across a 2000 subaru rs 2 door 5speed with a little over 130,000 miles. The dealer is asking 5000 + TTL. It looks good but has a few scratches here and there. What do I need to look for with the cars age? Is the price negotiable? I'll be taking this topic as a refrence

·
Registered
6 Posts
thank you for the write up Chris. This is very helpful my friend! Im looking to get my Subie soon, so I want to make sure everything is going to be reliable and safe. This will be my 1st Subaru, so im hoping for good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buying my first subaru

I need some help on buying a Subaru. I've been wanting one. I found a person selling a 2000 subaru sedan 2.5RS with an sti engine (he said around 10k miles on the engine)... Can anybody give me an advice on what to check and how much should be the ballpark figure for a car like this? (the guy is asking around 13k for the car with all the gizmoz) I just don't want a costly repair after buying it and very much a newbie on this.

thanks

·
2.5 Litres of WIN
2004 Subaru Impreza RS2.5
93 Posts
Just to let you know, Carfax doesn't always work. In my case, when I went to buy my car - carfax showed the car was clean. I bought the car, and 2 weeks later when the guy I bought it off of finally "got the work done to it" - carfax finally published that the car is an "r" title, and was in a serious accident.

All he did was wait until I gave him the money, and everything was said and done - before he retitled the car. Carfax didn't show a thing before that.

I'd say (I didn't see it if it's there)
DEMAND to see the title. If there's nothing wrong with the title, there's no reason to hide it... Right?

·
Registered
17 Chevy Cruze
2,567 Posts
ya carfax isn't accurate at all, I had similiar incident!

common sense is you most powerful weapon when selling or buying a car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! First post on here...i am on the verge of gettinga '00 rs2.5...just test drove it today and everything looked great...carfax came out clean, although i know that doesnt always mean its clean.

My only concern though is the mileage....it has about 125k. during the test drive i didnt feel any issues and when i inspected the engine bay i saw no sign of any leaks and the exhaust looked decent. I am hoping that if it already had a problem it might have been corrected? the dealer knew very little about the car so he was no help.

other than that there was a small whine for about 2-4 seconds right at startup, but it sounded like a timinig belt issue. any possible red flags on that or the mileage?! i am totally green behind the ears on these cars but wanted to own one since i was 12!

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys! First post on here...i am on the verge of gettinga '00 rs2.5...just test drove it today and everything looked great...carfax came out clean, although i know that doesnt always mean its clean.

My only concern though is the mileage....it has about 125k. during the test drive i didnt feel any issues and when i inspected the engine bay i saw no sign of any leaks and the exhaust looked decent. I am hoping that if it already had a problem it might have been corrected? the dealer knew very little about the car so he was no help.

other than that there was a small whine for about 2-4 seconds right at startup, but it sounded like a timinig belt issue. any possible red flags on that or the mileage?! i am totally green behind the ears on these cars but wanted to own one since i was 12!

thanks in advance!
Carfax will help to identify accidents, recalls, odometer rollbacks, title history (salvage, flood, rebuilt), and previous owners. I think there have been cases of dealers buying out-of-state cars with rebuilt titles and somehow get the titles changed to a clean one, wiping away the previous salvage title and damage history.

Do you know if the car has mostly highway miles? If so, 125k isn't bad at all. The mileage is below average for an 2000 RS.

However, this does concern me: I would think the dealer would have replaced the timing belt on a car with 125k miles. You could do a Google search on the dealership and if anyone has gotten scammed or had a really bad experience with them, a negative review or complaint might have been posted by a disgruntled customer.

Also, when you went to test drive the car, had it been running for a while that day? I know you mentioned a sound when it started up, so I assume you have seen the car start. However, I have heard people say that sometimes dealerships cover up leaks by power washing the engine bay and letting the car run for a little bit before the test drive.

After finding out the hard way, the best advice I can give is to have a mechanic look at the car. Don't trust if the dealership says they had it checked out by a mechanic, find a mechanic you trust and have him or her look at the car. You could probably just go to any mechanic or car shop and have them run a "used car check" for less than $100. If the dealer refuses to allow you to do this, walk away. Immediately.

Sorry for the long post, I just got screwed on a car once and I don't want to see it happen to anyone else. PM me if you want to talk more specifics about your situation, I would be more than happy to help, but do not want to take over the thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering is there any additional things that you be looked at when looking at a car that has a wrx or sti swap in them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im looking at a 2000 2.5 rs with 170k. Im guessing alot of high way miles. Howmany miles is too much to buy used? or other things i should look for.

·
Registered
1998 subaru impreza l wagon
31 Posts
why would it cost 2 grand to fix a head gasket? i changed mine on a pontiac grand am for like 20 bucks, and on advances website a subaru hg is like 22 dollars????

·
Registered
2000 STM RS Coupe
1,116 Posts
Including labor and everything it adds up, plus you have to pull the motor. Well you dont have to but it makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
great post... it's helped me out a lot.

I guess the car I was looking at doesnt need to be bought :(

it's a 2001 and has 78,000 on the dash so i guess it's getting close the that 2k investment :(

·
Registered
1999 impreza L
283 Posts
Was wondering what a rebuilt engine can mean i found a car with 200k on the odometer and he had the engine rebuilt it has 60k on it what does that sound like

41 - 60 of 89 Posts