Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
1,021 Posts
Great write up. I'm not sure I agree with the clutch test. I can start in 5th and get the car going no problem by just feather the clutch and start slow. I think a better test is in 5th gear at around 2.5k stomp on the gas. If it doesn't slip you're good.

2ndly BODY: check the body lines for any warping or obvious bending that should not be there. No matter how good a mechanic or body shop, there should be some sign of damage after an accident. Check for different paint colors that may not match excatly and also check for overspray.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the great write-up. It saved me a lot of headache when I was shopping around.
This is not a test for how good a driver you are, this is a clutch test. Dont try to start the car in 3rd, start the car in third the same way you would start in 1st.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
1,021 Posts
This is not a test for how good a driver you are, this is a clutch test. Dont try to start the car in 3rd, start the car in third the same way you would start in 1st.
So you're saying that the car should stall, if it doesn't the clutch needs replacing? That makes sense, the wording just through me a bit.

On that note, I've gotta go try that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
is it true that if you have an aftermarket clutch and/or aftermarket turbo the car wont be able to get that high of mileage

like it'll break down easier or something?

·
Registered
99' BDP GM4
774 Posts
I just went to look at a 99' Impreza L last night and i did check for a few of these things. Just one thing i would like to know..when i poped the hood the engine was all ''dirty'' now im not sure if it was just ''dirt'' or if this could be from a bad head gasket shooting oil all over.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
-Erik

·
Registered
99 impreza RS
394 Posts
I can start my RS on 5th gear..... is it really bad??
it feels like it is gonna stall but just need to give it alot alot of gas
but if i start like 1 st it will stall

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is *SUPPOSED TO* STALL or BOG DOWN Severely if you try to start in 5th!! That means the clutch is doing its job PROPERLY. If you have a bad clutch, and try to start off in 5th gear, the RPMs will start to move up, then jolt way up, but the car WON"T MOVE or stall. If your clutch is almost shot, the RPMs will make it feel like the clutch is slipping when you are moving. For example, let's say you're going up a hill, (In a manual transmission-equipped car.) and suddenly the RPMs shoot up without you pushing in the clutch pedal, but the car does not speed up, that means your clutch is CRAP and you should replace the throwout bearing, pressure plate, and clutch disc all at once, otherwise the parts that may not be shot from your last clutch will be toast very soon. ALWAYS purchase an entire clutch kit. :) Hope that cleared a few things up, and if your car is driving fine right now, don't go abusing it just to see if your obviously good clutch is bad. :p

·
Registered
White '99 2.5RS/Grey '08 WRX
4 Posts
I also had oil around the plugs at one point but was a quick fix...take off the valve covers and replace the spark plug seals. I really didnt think they existed but sure as hell its a real thing. I would recommend replacing valve cover gaskets at the same time. Quick and cheap

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I'm over a year late, but nothing in this post talks about torque bind on 4eats / bad center diffs on 5spds.

Center diff gets killed when the P/O uses mismatched tires (even if they are the same size) & drives on them for a while.
Basically if you get a loud gear type noise on cruise or/& binding on tight turns the center diff = dead.

Best way to test center diff = a steering locked circle in both directions on 4eat & circles + h/w cruise 60 MPH or so on a 5spd.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
this is some great info, especially for newer buyers. I'm scraping my pennies together to get an RS right now so this list will come in handy very soon. The moment I get it I'm gonna start a member's journal!

21 - 40 of 87 Posts