Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a little background. I've been gleaning info from this site for a long while. I'm currently on my 2nd Subaru, a 2001 2.5rs sedan, the first being a 2002 WRX sedan.

Prior to my career change, I was an ASE master, Toyota expert level auto tech. My specialty was electrical/wiring systems.

On to the good part...after much research I've decided to go for an EJ205 swap from the 2002-05 WRX. My reasons being cost of build/swap, parts availability, performance (for my needs), and ease of tuning (Cobb AP). I'll also be purchasing the supporting mods to run the Cobb AP VF39 map.

I've found it difficult locating a good, used engine for my swap and my question stems from numerous eBay searches. Is there a difference between the USDM and JDM EJ 205?

The price is right on the ebay engines but I want to make sure I'm getting what I am looking for.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
129 Posts
This link should get you started:

The JDM EJ207 engines are vastly different with varying spec between production years compared to USDM EJ205 engines. All JDM WRX and WRX STi engines have a 2.0L displacement, but receive the model designation of EJ20K, EJ207, etc.. Differences include everything from forged pistons, variable valve control (AVCS), twin scroll turbo set-ups, and differences in connecting rods and crankshaft coating. I believe that ECU tuning can all be achieved via USDM MY02 and up with wire harness merging and then open source tuning tuning via Cobb products. Iwire, from what I've read and been informed, of can merge your stock harness per spec or sell you a completed harness and send it to you. These links are just general overviews of engine specs and should give you a good place to start. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. The cobb tune is going to be a baseline to get things moving.

I'm really hoping to just find a wrecked vehicle that I can salvage everything I need from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, this is great information!

And I know OTS maps aren't great, but it will just be a starting point before I can get it professionally tuned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you, this is great information!

And I know OTS maps aren't great, but it will just be a starting point before I can get it professionally tuned.
Save the money. Cobb is pretty pricey for what they are asking you can actually go get a real tune. You can buy a usdm or jdm engine and use a usdm ecu but you will mostly have to get it tune and it is well worth it! Idk where you located but find a Subaru shop and try asking them some questions. You will need iWire unless you plan to merge both harness together, it could be a pain.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,777 Posts
You don't need an accessport to tune the car. It's just throwing money down the drain.

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
221 Posts
recommendation: go to copart auction sites and just wait for a good donor... seems you are ready to go down this long and difficult road so i think a cheap auction car is a better gamble...

·
Registered
14 Posts
recommendation: go to copart auction sites and just wait for a good donor... seems you are ready to go down this long and difficult road so i think a cheap auction car is a better gamble...
Trueeeeeeeee. I should have done that when I did my swap ;/

·
Registered
2002 WRX
43 Posts
1. Save the money. Cobb is pretty pricey for what they are asking you can actually go get a real tune.
2. You can buy a usdm or jdm engine and use a usdm ecu but you will mostly have to get it tune and it is well worth it!
3. Idk where you located but find a Subaru shop and try asking them some questions.
4. You will need iWire unless you plan to merge both harness together, it could be a pain.
1. Absolutely true. Never understand why people think COBB is the cat's meow
2. Well, almost true. Depends on the JDM engine. If it has AVCS, you will have to locate a USDM ECU w/AVCS. Non-AVCS ECUs won't work with AVCS. If you go with a JDM EJ205, it will be less expensive than any EJ 207 that someone mentioned earlier.
4. Either use an iWire kit or make your own. I'd rather pay someone who knows what they are doing to get it done right the first time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts