Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Car is no longer for sale. I was hesitant to sell, did not receive good offers, and I've decided to restore the car after my move. I'll plan to document the restoration on this site and probably make a YouTube channel.

Well I didn't think my time with my RS would end so quickly, but here we are. For sale is a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe 2.5L 5 speed manual transmission. Car is located in Madison, Wisconsin. Here's the craigslist ad.

I only purchased this car in July with intent to restore and perform a WRX swap. Turns out we will be moving to Alaska in about a year so need to start liquidating some assets and the cost to ship the car to Alaska is prohibitive. I don't know much about the history of the vehicle, only what I have discovered in a few months of ownership. I do believe the car is currently beyond my mechanical ability - I am an amateur.

Car runs and drives fine but the prior owner did not maintain it and it had sat for about a year. I drove it home from Chicago ~150 miles and it has shaken off most of the cob webs. Interior is very clean for a car this age. Has the navigation package, but it does not seem to work. A blast to drive. Aftermarket intake. Stromung exhaust. Car will come with the silver OEM 6 spoke RS wheels pictured. 130xxx miles.

Cons:
-Chassis is pretty rusty and there is hail damage. I've never had the car on a lift so I'm not totally sure how bad it is.
-The tires are worn and have very little life left.
-I suspect there is an exhaust leak. Several header bolts are broken.
-There is a gas leak I only realized after filling the tank to the top. Source of leak is probably the filler neck due to rust (based on rs25.com forum research) but I have not verified this. Below 3/4 tank there is no identifiable leak.
-There is no parking brake. Prior owner "upgraded" the rear brake discs to WRX and mounting brackets. Because of this conversion the parking brake hardware was removed and it got pretty rusty on the inside of the hub. I bought a 2007 WRX left rear hub/knuckle/spindle assembly to replace the drivers side, but have not yet installed it. This hardware will come with the car. I am also selling the 2POTs on eBay. Did not get the chance to buy some front 4POTs.
-Had minor front passenger side impact at some point. The passenger door is dented and the right front fender does not sit flush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, my friend. Unfortunately, I don't have the space or time for a part out so will be selling the car whole. I'm interested in hearing any and all offers.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,625 Posts
The rust is really really bad and will need a massive amount of bodywork to restore. I'm sure the bottom of the car looks similar, which can be dangerous when the mounts for vital components start to rot away. Hopefully the new owner is a guru!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input, my friend. Unfortunately, I don't have the space or time for a part out so will be selling the car whole. I'm interested in hearing any and all offers.
Ya I understand where your coming from. And I'm not trying to be rude, it's just very unfortunate when cars reach this level of erosion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not at all, I appreciate the guidance. Indeed it's a shame given the rarity of the coupe. My integrity is extremely important to me - I'm not trying to hide anything with respect to the condition of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got done with my search recently, after 11 weeks I saw all different conditions. Someone will want it, post it on FB marketplace. It won't take long to get a ton of interest. (from my experience, if you didnt message seller in first 30 mins, it was sold)
post more pics, get pics of underbody, just sell it as-is. A lot of people say "you're on crack" but these are appreciating and the demand is there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gentleman, thank you for the comments. It is nice to know what others think about the condition of the car, although the $500 comment did hurt my feelings a little bit.

It took about a year for a RS to pop up in my local area. It was in this one and in this condition. I have alert notifications popping up for these cars and typically by the time I write the seller, the car is already sold locally. I have not been able to find a buyer willing to sell remotely or work with me on an escrow transaction in the presence of strong local competition. I'd like to buy another one.

It seems then, that I may just keep this car for parts or to swap the interior and drivetrain into some other chassis. I have some thinking to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some additional images of the undercarriage and trunk with carpet removed. I'm honestly surprised at the internal integrity of the chassis, given the status of the rear quarters.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts