Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
648 Posts
Sorry to bump but I just couldn't resist, have to say. Great write up!

It's stuff like this that really makes me love RS25. This will defiantly be one of the things I do when I start working on my car for the first time this summer now.

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I just installed my rotors and pads. Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads. (Only the rears, fronts will be in a few weeks). I broke it in just like you said and i have one question. Does the blue tint wipe off of the rotor? Because im not sure if im just thinking that there is a blue tint or not (it was a little dark out when i looked at them w/ a blueish led light) and nothing wiped off. I did see the gray film on the rotor though. But i will check tomorrow when there is actual sun shining on the rotor and hopefully my mind doesn't play tricks on me.
Thanks
My guess is that it is the light you were using.

Siper - They released it a few years ago. I will try to pull a link shortly. Link: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Subaru/Impreza_RS.htm

·
Registered
Red/gray 1995 Impreza LX Wagon
260 Posts
exactly what i had on my list. only i wll get cheaper brake fluid instead of motul. and putting ss lines on the list as well.
thanks for the good write up

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
what you mean? it just thats what i was looking at. what would be best bang for the buck? like could i just go to autozone and get blank brembo's then some ceramic pads and ss lines? i just want it to be cheap and good. my car is swaped so i want better brakes. also i plan on going sti driveline next summer so i'll have the brembos. just need something for now untill that happens

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
what you mean? it just thats what i was looking at. what would be best bang for the buck? like could i just go to autozone and get blank brembo's then some ceramic pads and ss lines? i just want it to be cheap and good. my car is swaped so i want better brakes. also i plan on going sti driveline next summer so i'll have the brembos. just need something for now untill that happens
If you just need something to hold you over until you get the Brembos, then get Autozone rotors and either Hawk HPS or OEM pads. You can do SS lines but I don't know if they would transfer over so I can't help on that one.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
I'd like to bump this thread instead of creating a new one. I noticed in the first paragraph describing brake fluids, the OP stated DOT 5 fluids weren't compatible with 3/4 systems because it was "silicone" based. I noticed last week when buying brake fluid that every brand in the store was synthetic. I have never noticed that before and the old bottle I had didn't say synthetic. There wasn't even a choice to buy non-synthetic. Is the synthetic stuff compatible with 3/4 systems with no problems? Also wondering if anyone else noticed this.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
I did my research before I spent my money on brakes and came to the same conclusion slotted and drilled just isn't worth the money on a daily. I spent my money on pads, got EBC yellows, and actually destroyed my front rotors withen about 3 months. Those pads work so goddamn well.... They're completly non-metallic but destroyed solid iron. Awesome. Whatever, I only paid 20 bucks for both front rotors....

Not to the wise, the duralast rotors may be cheap, but to be honest, most the time these need to be cut OUT OF THE BOX. Mine, as well as many other, simply are not trued worth a hell, guess that's why they're cheap.

I don't like HAWK HPS. They're completly overrated and fall apart in wet conditions, plus they fade bad and are far more money than they're worth. Anyways. Just make sure your rotors can handle your pads, and vise versa. This is honestly the biggest factor, in terms of continued performance. Not calipers, not lines, the pad and rotor materials. Like you said, try to get some cryo if you're running badass pads. Also, remove your damn ABS. That was the best brake mod I did.

·
Registered
99 Legacy L 93 Civic Hatch LS
200 Posts
I'd like to bump this thread instead of creating a new one. I noticed in the first paragraph describing brake fluids, the OP stated DOT 5 fluids weren't compatible with 3/4 systems because it was "silicone" based. I noticed last week when buying brake fluid that every brand in the store was synthetic. I have never noticed that before and the old bottle I had didn't say synthetic. There wasn't even a choice to buy non-synthetic. Is the synthetic stuff compatible with 3/4 systems with no problems? Also wondering if anyone else noticed this.
wat brand and fluid did you get? looking at the brake fluid here at my work, none of them say anything about synthetic.

·
Registered
NZDM 99 Impreza GF8, USDM 98 L
129 Posts
I have a question which I think is related...

I am looking at this theoretical situation - what happens if you have 2 pots/1 pot front/rear and then you upgrade just the rears to 2pots?
I'm thinking it would help shift the brake bias to the rears, but is it going to send too much braking power that way?

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I have a question which I think is related...

I am looking at this theoretical situation - what happens if you have 2 pots/1 pot front/rear and then you upgrade just the rears to 2pots?
I'm thinking it would help shift the brake bias to the rears, but is it going to send too much braking power that way?
What front 2pots are you going to run?

LGT or WRX?

You know there is a speadsheet to tell you exactly what is going to happen. I'll see if I can dig it up and host it.

EDIT: Attached a zip file with the speadsheet in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 2.5i San Remo Red SC
1,214 Posts
I was deciding on either getting upgarded calipers and keep the stock 2.5i 4puck calipers and get better and bigger rotors front and rear or upgrade everything including the rotors and calipers....I was thinking of STI brembos but is this really needed with a force induction kit or would a big rotor upgrade be good enough...the calipers are already great calipers just need some info on this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just put ebc usr series rotors along w/ redstuff pads on my '02 rs. Not gonna stomp on 'em till I get 500 miles on them. Now according to that long article, i gotta do that to the rears to balance things out. Another $300 down the drain.

·
Registered
2004 JBP RS
540 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

·
Registered
2004 JBP RS
540 Posts
yea i want to get that stuff too but i need it before an autocross meet this sunday and i was planning on changing my fluid tomorrow or weds. ive looked everywhere for it. o'rielly's, autozone, NAPA, performance car shops, awdtuning, hotrod shops even motorcycle shops and no one has it. im thinking of just getting the valvoline and if i really need the ATE stuff, ill change it. ill only waste like $12 if i do.

you guys know any other place i should check with?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts